Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:45 PM

14 posts, read 75,052 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been dreaming of moving to wine country for a few years now. Probably Sonoma, or nearby.

On the surface, the recent crash of the housing market looks like an opportunity, but I am concerned about the impending bankruptcy of the state and possibly other towns in the area; the unemployment rate; the flight of businesses and the tax base; the high cost of living; potential tax increases; etc.

In short, I'm afraid that I'd be boarding a sinking ship, and paying dearly to do it.

Should I forget about moving to California at this time? Maybe wait a few years to let the storm pass, and then take another look? Or, should I jump in while home prices are low, and ride it out?

I am currently living in Massachusetts, and I work from home for a company based in Texas, doing software design. So, I don't need to find a job locally (unless I should happen to lose my current one... but there doesn't seem to be any danger of that right now... in fact, my department is actually hiring.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 AM

58 posts, read 95,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gth617 View Post
In short, I'm afraid that I'd be boarding a sinking ship, and paying dearly to do it.
I am afraid this may well be the case. I know whatever our elected bozo's come up with will certainly cost me dearly and will only be a band-aid until July when it all starts again. Then, it will most likely cost me more, for the pay raises they will vote themselves. Until California stops the pork spending and lives within its means this ship will continue to spiral downward.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been dreaming of moving to wine country for a few years now. Probably Sonoma, or nearby.

On the surface, the recent crash of the housing market looks like an opportunity, but I am concerned about the impending bankruptcy of the state and possibly other towns in the area; the unemployment rate; the flight of businesses and the tax base; the high cost of living; potential tax increases; etc.

Should I forget about moving to California at this time? Maybe wait a few years to let the storm pass, and then take another look? Or, should I jump in while home prices are low, and ride it out?

I am currently living in Massachusetts, and I work from home for a company based in Texas, doing software design. So, I don't need to find a job locally (unless I should happen to lose my current one... but there doesn't seem to be any danger of that right now... in fact, my department is actually hiring.)
California legislators IQ's are not appreciably lower than your Federal representatives. Since you are now in Massachusetts, comparing the destruction done by Barney Franks to the idiocy of Nancy Pelosi, invites tears of hysterical laughter. My point is that the concerns you express, while valid, point to a NATIONAL problem.

Therefore, if you really want to move to wine country AND your job is stable, go for it. If the country is going to circle the drain, at least sit on your porch in the California sunshine, looking at the vineyards with a glass of wine in your hand. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Yes, and Massachusetts is facing its own $1 billion shortfall (on top of the previously expected 1.1 billion that already forced budget cuts). Considering that some of my federal tax dollars will be going toward a bailout of California, I may as well enjoy what I'm paying for!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
holy crap. What happened to government budgeting.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
holy crap. What happened to government budgeting.
It's based on wishes, hopes, and short-term thinking. You only get away with that as long as the economy keeps booming.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Addendum: I have lived in "wine country" near the Fairplay viticultural area for over 20 years. My wine consumption helps mitigate the assininity of California politics.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
It's based on wishes, hopes, and short-term thinking. You only get away with that as long as the economy keeps booming.
do you plan on buying or renting? it would certainly be two different scenarios

Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
do you plan on buying or renting? it would certainly be two different scenarios
I'm looking to buy.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:25 PM

58 posts, read 244,340 times
California always seems to boom and bust throughout history, and the state is great about reinventing itself with world-changing industries, e.g. gold rush, Hollywood, agriculture capital, tech boom, etc. In fact, this is the most "affordable" pricey areas of California have been in a very long time, and you are fortunate that your location is not dependent on a job. Look at our downturn as a great opportunity to get in while it's relatively cheap: I would definitely buy now, especially if you are planning on being here for the longer term. The state and its housing market will come back.

Also, having recently moved here from the East Coast myself, I can tell you that I do not miss the snow and ice one tiny bit, and I love being so close to such beautiful areas in this state. Hope it works out for you, and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento