Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM

14 posts, read 78,203 times

Advertisements

I moved to Grass Valley a year ago and I love it. I have quick access to Nevada City, it takes about 5 minutes. I prefer Grass Valley because there is almost no snow as compared to several feet in Nevada City. Housing is less expensive as well.

Nevada City is beautiful and quaint. There is a charm to the town. Grass Valley has a downtown but it isn't as charming though it's quite nice as well.

I've met a lot of people since I arrived. I have a huge network of friends. People here seem to band together to support each other.

I love the area. Roseville is about 40 minutes away and has all the major shopping. Sacramento is about an hour away and has it's benefits as well.

Someone mentioned that outlying areas are very conservative and that's true. Grass Valley sems to be more conservative than Nevada City. The further out you go the more conservative.

Real estate prices get lower every day. You can find great deals right now. There are a lot of vacation homes here but lots of retiree owners as well. I've found the retirees to be high level business people looking for a simpler life. There are also families here.

I also had the benefit of a good realtor. We were in touch for a year before I moved here. I decided to live here for a while before buying and am glad to have made that decision.

Last edited by alternativeview; 02-19-2009 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: want to add some information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Alternativeview
I sent you a pm, maybe twice. darn buttons lol

Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM

222 posts, read 862,464 times
We looked into the Grass Valley/Nevada City region in the mid-90s then again in 2002. Completely agree with most of the responses. However, it was, from our perspective, too much of a bedroom community for commuters. The congestion as well as all that growth has been very damaging. Private gated communities are a bit too commonplace, and are exclusive rather than inclusive. Too many mini-fortresses if you will. The older, established neighborhoods are absolutely terrific though.

Back in the mid-90s we visited a really nice home belonging to an older couple in Grass Valley. They were moving to Chico to be near family. They had a wonderful view of the mountains from their backyard that was disappearing thanks to a huge, 2-story home being built back there. They loved Grass Valley, but said that they absolutely hated what was happening to their town.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM

21 posts, read 22,516 times
Default It's a great area

Younger retired people do tend to love this area. There's plenty of outdoor recreation; we love hiking, swimming, and flyfishing. Many of our friends ski, snowshoe, sail or kayak. The theatre scene is terrific. So is the art and wine scene...lots of amazing art clases too, and the fabric and textile crafts here are very evolved. We do get bored with the restaurants and early bedtimes (after theatre dining is non-existant). But Reno is a quick 2 hour run, we sometimes go to Tahoe for dinner, and then there's Auburn and Roseville for shopping and restaurants. The local boutiques are many and diverse. We salsa dance, do judo, and swing dance...people are friendly and it's easy to make lots of friends. If you have a hobby, you can find a group here to do it with you.
You may not stay retired, there's a creative energy here that is very contagious. Even very senior citizens are active and involved. The only bored people here are bores.
Summer can be hot, we lived waay outside of town, near Camptonville (population 80), and grew beautiful gardens on our 108 acres. But I was longing for snow and cool summers, so we moved closer into town at a higher elevation. Love that snow! It's all about the elevation, we can be snowed in and 2 miles away they have only rain. Gardening here is...different. Everything grows bigger in Nevada County, and every neighborhood has its own soil and microclimate. Deer can be voracious.
I disagree with the advice given earlier to wait to buy. Fact is, prices are back to 2000 levels...but the nice houses sell quickly, and people who can afford to wait aren't selling. I'm looking around for a house with more land, but I haven't seen anything that wouldn't take extensive remodeling to suit my admittedly expensive tastes. Spending a bit more gets you a vastly better house, so I'd advise that before you stick on a price point that you really get out and tour with an agent and look a bit above your budget to see if it's a better fit.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

111 posts, read 462,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtowngirl View Post
Can you tell me about the local real estate...the value of homes within walking distance to down town versus other areas further out of the town. Also what is your opinion of real estate up there. Do you think right now is a good time to buy up there. How do you see the real estate market in the next 2 years, both in town and out of town? What is the primary buyer up there? Is it someone that is living up there or purchasing a vacation home?
Like all markets real estate has dropped a bit, but Grass Valley / Nevada City remains popular, with families and retired folks. For a young retired couple I think it would be great, lots of access to all types of recreation and beautiful areas. Both cities have all different types of resturants and music clubs and events throughout the year. Many opportunities to participate in the community also.
Looking at the multiple listings for Grass Valley there is approx 70 homes for sale (lot size less than 7/10 of an acre) the cheapest is $129K built in 1900 and 692sq feet, most expensive 1.195M, built in 1895, 6000sq feet.
The average price is 389K, there is a mixture of ages too. I would love to live in downtown, it is easy to walk around and there are some fantastic older homes there.

If you are planning to stay in a home for several years I would say now is a good time to buy, interest rates remain low and there are good deals out there. It may take a little time to find the exact home you want- there aren't many cookie cutter homes, but that is the beauty of it too for me.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
Post It is wonderful here!

I moved here 2.5 years ago from Marin County.

Positives:
I wanted community and I found it here. Grass Valley is friendly, inviting, very social, and inclusive. Nevada City is the same (4 miles away). Great people. There is so much going on - I can't do it all! There are a lot of young at heart and healthy retired folks who contribute and are involved in many activities. The mountains, lakes, old gold mining history, local college, great restaurants. The little down town is charming. With more people seeking small communities the demographics are changing, the politics are changing. We have educated, sophisticated, intelligent people. There are local farmers markets, plays, lots of music, yoga classes, churches (if you like that) and an ashram (if you like that) and a variety of gyms.

I love the seasons. The best part is there is very little wind and you can be outside during the summer months and be comfortable till 10 pm. When it snows in the winter it is magical and light. Snow last for 3 or 4 days and then its gone. Spring is wild blooming everywhere - gorgeous! In the Fall there is nippy air, falling gold and red leaves and the smell of wood burning stoves.

The politics can get ugly. It has an us and them quality. The entrenched and good old boys who have run the county for decades are losing favor and they don't like it one little bit. The newcomers, with more city sophistication and liberal thinking have become involved in local politics, and are changing the way things have been done here for decades. The local newspaper supports the good old boys and frustrates, baits, and dislikes the more liberal transplants. If you have a healthy sense of humor - it's culturally interesting, and for the most part - entertaining.

In this same vein, the biggest stain on the community is poor city planning. There has been an over growth of corporate stores (away from town, and mostly all in the same location). It's ugly. There are streets leading away from town that are a mishmash of parking out front of stores, empty areas with big gaps between businesses, no flowers, few trees, no continuity of planning, no infill. The city council has invited and approved reckless development.

There are drugs in them thar hills. Pot growers and meth labs (but that seems true everywhere). Young people don't have enough to do (also seems true everywhere).

For the comments about "white trash" - well, I don't think anyone is "trash". I can't relate to that kind of thinking.

This has been my experience so far, and as a 65 year old woman, I'm having a blast! I got involved with the community, and I have made friends. If you are like minded moving here will be a good decision for you.

Last edited by beautifulplace; 08-29-2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: take off smiley faces

Old 11-13-2010, 03:45 PM

24 posts, read 74,091 times
Hi everyone... loved all the replys.. i'm 70 live in Idaho and would love to relocate to the Grass Valley/Nevada City area... My problem is I have a 51 yr old autistic daughter... does anyone know if
there are services for her. how about medical care. also, looking for a small piece of land with a mobile, it will have to be owner will carry. but have money and good income. anyone with any info
please either respond to post or email me a idahodee@msn.com

Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleythecat View Post
Hi everyone... loved all the replys.. i'm 70 live in Idaho and would love to relocate to the Grass Valley/Nevada City area... My problem is I have a 51 yr old autistic daughter... does anyone know if there are services for her. how about medical care.,,,
Sacramento is only 45 minutes away.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 7,811 times
Smile Us too

We're looking to retire as well in Nevada City or Grass Valley. Live in So. Cal and am tired of the rat race here. Looking forward to different rats up there

We've starting looking on Realtor.com for homes and prices seem to vary by closeness to "city" and land wanted. Since we don't have school age children, schools are not an issue. Crime is everywhere so not put off by any crime in the area. Weather isn't a factor as retiree's, if it's bad we stay home. In fact looking forward to 4 seasons, including snow and rain. And what other people plant and grow, or not, is their business.

We're looking for a 3/2 home with some land, and don't mind a drive to get to things. While we don't ski, we enjoy golf, biking, hiking and day drives. I will be living there first, as my hubby is not quite ready to retire, but he will fly up as often as he can. My grown children may even join me up there.

We look forward to checking out this forum to "keep in touch" with what is happening in the area until we can actually move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento