Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 PM

424 posts, read 2,689,577 times

Advertisements

Grass Valley is very rural with rolling hills and trees. It's a small town but very spread out and not easy to bike around in. Not much employment in that area also. There are poorer areas but overall it is pretty nice. Housing prices are relatively high.

Since you mentioned biking and apartments, you may want to check out Davis. It's more urban than Grass Valley (a lot more), but you can bike everywhere, there's apartments, lots of trees, and it has a small town feel. Lots of local eateries and shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM

222 posts, read 859,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikadojay View Post
I grew up in Grass Valley and have lived in Santa Cruz and Sacramento, now I've relocated back to GV.
I grew up in the Monterey Peninsula, and lived in Santa Cruz for 7-years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikadojay View Post
As a long time local, I disagree with the whining about too much congestion and growth, the population in the area is actually declining and if you have ever experienced real city traffic, smog, crime, and growth you'll realize that GV/NC are really nice, peaceful little mountain towns.
It's all a matter of perception. The growth and congestion is out of character for the GV/NC region. It's dangerously close to being a bit of a rat race. As a local returnee, you're undoubtly used to it or in denial. Not to say that it's comparable to real city traffic, no, but it's not an experience to be savored.

Keep in mind that I've been to GV/NC hundreds of times over the years, and have seen the negative aspects due to congestion and excessive growth. Any population declines will be short-term.

In fact, I'd rather take CA-174 than CA-49 to the Sacramento Valley during peak commuting hours and weekends.

Nonetheless, asides from that, am in complete agreement with the rest of your post. Think twice before you use the word "whining" again unless you wish to be looked upon as a keyboard commando.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM

111 posts, read 461,522 times
Grass Valley & Nevada City are both nice towns. Both have great areas of older homes and areas of newer subdivisions in town, out of town you can find just about type of property, from 1ac to 1000ac. There are forest areas and more open range land areas. Nevada City is more of a tourist town, but that means there are also a lot of great resturants, clubs. Both are big on community, support for the arts and music. There is also a big organic movement, so you can find all kinds of great food and resources.
I am not sure why you are not finding apts, but there are plenty as well as homes for rent both in and out of town. There are also a few co-housing projects on the horizon.
Job wise there are all types of businesses including quite a few high tech ones and some light manufacturing.
One thing to check before moving here if you have health insurance, will you be covered ?(Kaiser does not serve Nevada County)

I see people riding their bikes all the time, we love the outdoors up here.

If you want less city and more country, Chicago Park, Peardale are good areas (Hwy 174) between Colfax and Grass Valley. Colfax is good too, but about 1/10 the size of Grass Valley, the Colfax advantage is that it is along I-80. Auburn area is bigger too.

I would suggest coming up and spending several days, drive around and see what areas appeal to you.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,836,712 times
I adore the Grass Valley area. If I could afford it, I'd live there. I love the green trees and the weather. A second choice of mine in N. Cal. would be Paradise.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:02 PM

413 posts, read 1,364,090 times
Thanks for all your opinions. Right now, I am living in a medium sized town in Florida that is getting bigger and more crowded everyday. Grass Valley does sound interesting as are the other towns you all have mentioned. They are on my list and will be checking them out.

I lived in Los Angeles back in the 70's and 80's and it was expensive back then. I am sorry now that I didn't try Northern California instead of moving to Florida. How bad is the economy in California. I have heard it is really bad and people are leaving in droves. Any truth to this?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM

914 posts, read 2,901,819 times
Ahhhh, the economy. Now that's the question and the answer, isn't it? I would say it's as bad as Florida, if not worse. don't you read the newspaper? CA has been having severe financial problems, and now residents will face higher taxes as a result (sales tax, state income tax, etc.) Our property taxes are still low, but that might not last forever, either.

Places like Grass Valley, where I used to live, and Nevada City have been hurt greatly by things like the high gas prices last year, and the recession in general. Tourism is down, and the people who do still visit have less to spend. However, real estate prices, which had become ridiculously inflated during the boom times a few years ago, haven't fallen comensurate with economic downturn, and I think they are still too high.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 AM

413 posts, read 1,364,090 times
Do I read the newspaper? Nope because the papers in my area are crap. I am to the point of not watching the news either. Neither one knows how to do a complete story. The papers and tv news are more concerned what is going on here in Florida than anywhere else. In one week 5 companies went belly up and others are about to do the same. So I have only heard bits and pieces of what is going on in California.

Gas prices came down here but are starting to go up a bit but not as bad as California. How does the average person survive there? If you have money it is a bit easier. I live in a city halfway between Tampa and Orlando and tourism has been down here. They have increased the cigarette tax to try and get more money.

I hope things get turned around there soon and things start getting better.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM

590 posts, read 924,707 times
I will comment on the smog issue because no one has actually accurately commented on it.

In a word, yes, GV can have horrendous smog in the summer. Why? It's on the rim of the bathtub that is the Sacramento Valley. Think about taking a bath. What happens when the funk comes off your body? It rises to the surface and sticks to the rim of the tub. That's summer in GV for you. In fact when the pollution is bad in Sacramento it can be even worse in GV. Think I'm joking:
http://ww1.sparetheair.com/archive/2...peak_ozone.gif

Granted, this is when we were having the Tahoe fires last summer. But here is another day a month later when there were no fires: http://ww1.sparetheair.com/archive/2...peak_ozone.gif

I'm not saying it's like this all the time, winter, spring and fall are awesome in GV just be forewarned that GV can be bad in the summers.

In regard to what a previous poster said about snow in GV and being snowed in. Hasn't happened in two decades. In fact when it does actually snow in GV it makes the news because it's so out of the ordinary for snow to fall that low. I'm a 30 year Sacto resident, I can remember snow sticking for more than a day maybe a handful of times.

It's a beautiful area to live in, I would consider it if it weren't for the commute into Sacto and the summer smog, but I'm sure you'd love the other three seasons.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,066 times
i love GV, i was born and raised, i would move backand raisemy children here, but there is nothing for them to do, and going through the school systems, i found that all kids have to do is party, drugs, and sex!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 10,755 times
I Lived in Grass Valley California For 16 years. I'm only twenty one but I was born and raised there. I love the place but that's me, others might say different. The people there are friendly, as long as you on their good side. A good spot I would recommend is Scotts Flat Lake, it's at the five mile house going north on Highway 20. It's only like an hour away from Boeal ski resort and maybe two hours away from Lake Tahoe. Right in the middle of some major highways and roads. Great place to grow your tamatoes or whatever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento