Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 20,625 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband got a job in Folsom, CA. We are in dilemma , which service to use for moving our stuff. We dont have any furniture, or any big electronics. Just clothes, kitchen stuff , books..may be you can say 1 studio luggage only.

We are looking for any reasonable company to move...

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Tumi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,570 times
The stuff you are talking about moving seems to have a fairly high bulk to value weight. I suspect when all is said and done, its probably just cheaper to sell as much of the stuff as you can in NJ and just buy stuff here when you get here. In college, I spent a summer working in DC. What I did was just mail stuff out via the USPS.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM

142 posts, read 471,289 times
Default Moving Cross-country blows

When we moved out here from Florida we did alittle creative shipping. We took all books, dvds, cds and mailed them mediamail from the post office (much cheaper) we then boxed up the things we couldn't live without and sent them UPS, and as zen said we sold alot of things that we knew we could buy here cheaper than having to ship. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumi View Post
Hi,
My husband got a job in Folsom, CA. We are in dilemma , which service to use for moving our stuff. We dont have any furniture, or any big electronics. Just clothes, kitchen stuff , books..may be you can say 1 studio luggage only.

We are looking for any reasonable company to move...

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Tumi

I worked for UPS for 15 years and I delivered a lot of items for people who were doing what you are. usually UPS is cheaper in large quantities. You can call them at 1-800-pick ups (742 5877) or
Check with Fed Ex ground : 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339

I do not think the post office will be reasonably priced for larger or heavy shipments. I agree with Zen-Klown that it might be cheaper to sell your stuff and then buy new when you get to Sac. Whatever you do DO NOT SHIP FROM A UPS STORE OR SHIPPING OUTLET they apply surcharges (quite high) in addition to normal UPS charges. You can have a driver come by your home by scheduling a "One time pick up" which last time I did it it cost me $5 for the pick up plus the normal shipping cost.

With UPS you get $100 automatically on every parcel as insurance so if it's worth more make sure you 1) insure it 2) wrap it properly 3) use a new or like new package Failure to comply with 2 or 3 will result in them denying any insurance claims inthe event something is lost or damaged.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 20,625 times
Thanks to all of you for quick response. I am going to take advice of zen. Mail some stuff and other give it away

Old 09-15-2011, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,749 times
i moved a few weeks a go with a moving company called gr8 vanlines.. they were amazing.. wonderful treatment, after all these stuff they moved for me are my life! and i realy needed peace of mind and to know its in good hands.. i didnt wanted to take any chances. ask for angela her # is 888-668-3977... cuz i believe its not about money, its about doing a good and satisfied..
i am warmly recomending

Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 AM

48 posts, read 123,294 times
Default postal flat rate boxes

I too am moving to Sacto in a week. Sending heavy things like books in a $14.95 flat rate postal service box, sending other things, mostly very light things that will take up space in my car - via postal service. For most females, hats, pocketbooks, stationary, blah blah - take up lots of space but aren't heavy at all. Have a bout 6 flat rate boxes at $15 each and about 4 lightweight boxes. Amazing how much stuff I was able to "stuff" in. Had to fill every air pocket, every space. Any advice for me??

Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
We towed a 12' UHaul when we moved from Texas. Sold or donated everything else and bought new when we got here. Way less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento