Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
What facts was I stating that aren't true?
cost of living and job market. As for other things, those are opinons and we all have a right to them. Of course you can say the job market isn't that good and you are right, only because it isn't that good anywhere in Ca or the rest of the nation for that matter, cost of living, I guess we would have to bring up stats to decide if the cost of living in Sac is higher than other places in Calif.

But I am going to bow out of this decussion now. You do have a right to opinions, I respect them as long as you do not make them sound like fact. That is my whole thing period.

Nita

Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,255,209 times
I have to chime in: I've lived in Sac (various communities and neighborhoods) since I was 20. I'm 45 now. I've done the single thing and now the husband and kid lifestyle here in the region.

It took me years -- years -- to get used to the crazy heat. I'm finally used to it and really appreciate that we get "real" summers, but ugh, there are days when I get sick of it.

I'm sorry, I didn't grab who said that Sac has a lack of character. I'm so glad someone said it. I've been thinking that for 25 years now.

Don't get me wrong, I've had years and years where I've absolutely loved living in Sac. I found my husband here, had my babies here etc. etc. But there really isn't a defining personality to our region. I was able to ignore the fact by living in East Sac for a few years which does have a very nice personality.

I'm also tired of being close to Tahoe, SF, Napa etc. I wish I actually lived somewhere rather than being two hours from it.

My husband is looking at job on the east coast and while I'm scared to death to make a move I'm also looking forward to seeing something new for a change!

I say: if you love it here, great! But if you don't, I for one, understand.

Alley

Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,197,096 times
I have never understood the people who say Sacramento lacks character. Maybe you can say that about the suburbs, but the suburbs of pretty much any city built in the past 50 years are devoid of character. I certainly wouldn't apply that to Sacramento's older neighborhoods--East Sacramento, Curtis Park, Land Park, of course my beloved Midtown, and so on. Beautiful buildings, plenty of trees, homegrown culture, loads of history, and a combination of city amenities and a slower, more comfortable pace than most big California cities. But, having grown up in the suburbs of Sacramento, I can understand the tendency to assume that's all there is--I fell victim to that syndrome myself before I knew any better.

Our location between San Francisco and the Sierras is, in some ways, our whole reason for being: Sacramento provided a very convenient place to disembark from the Sacramento River and head east into the hills along the American River during the gold rush. Quite a few enterprising folks made a mint mining the miners going to and from, and turned Sacramento into a transportation hub--first by watercraft and mule train, then by rail. We're the crossroads of California, a role we still play.

There are plenty of reasons to stay in town, and plenty of things to do while you're here--anyone claiming there isn't anything to do here just plain isn't looking. On the other hand, it's pretty hard to deny that San Francisco is one of the greatest cities in the country when it comes to culture and fine dining, and the Sierras are some stunning scenery compared to our flat valley. So why should we be expected to compete with those two places when it's easy enough to visit them if we get the urge?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,855,876 times
Yep, I lived in that "beloved Midtown" for a year and a half and got the hell out as fast as I could, a few months ago. My car was broken into three times, and I frequently had to hop over a transient in order to leave my apartment. If that's character, you can have it.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 PM

Fair enough. I just got back from Los Angeles and had to hop over transients in Hollywood, Santa Monica and downtown. It's not necessarily character, but it is an unavoidable part of American life, outside of the suburbs at least.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM

132 posts, read 425,311 times
I've lived in Sacramento for 3 years and have hated every minute of it. That's not to say there isn't enough to do here. There's bars. Lots and lots of bars. So if you're in to that scene, you'd have it made. Sacramento is geared towards suburbia and families which is fine and I would totally recommend those looking to move to California this area if they wanted a nice place to raise kids. However, given that I'm 23, single, and a college student, this isn't what's happening.

I lived in San Diego before a brief time before coming up here and I loved it there - however, as bad as the job market is here it's always going to be 10x worse there, the cost of living is almost outrageous, and there's a lot of unfavorable neighborhoods compared to just run down parts of Sac.

Nowhere in California is perfect. I moved here because of jobs. There were more here. When I can though, I'm heading East on I-80 and saying goodbye. I'm probably going to be stuck here for a couple more years but you make do with what you can.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM

See, that's the other interesting thing: half the folks here complain that Sacramento is too focused on suburbs, families and kids, and when anyone mentions Midtown the other half complain that Midtown isn't kid-friendly enough. As someone with no kids who doesn't go to bars, somehow I still have great difficulty with the idea that there is nothing to do--if anything, there are too many things for a 40 year old like me to keep up with around here. Of course, when I was in my mid-20s I used to tell people there was nothing to do here either, while I was seeing live bands 4-5 times a week and hanging out in Midtown Sacramento's lively early-1990s coffee shop scene.

This past weekend featured several street fairs (one family-friendly "Chalk It Up" festival at Fremont Park, and one gay/lesbian oriented Rainbow Festival at 20th and K) along with a weekend-long "Gold Rush Days" celebration in Old Sacramento and the final weekend of the California State Fair. Heck, if that isn't enough, there was a huge Greek food festival at the Convention Center, a big local institution in its own right, and even a chicken-wing-eating contest/charity event in Land Park.

Maybe I just don't get it. People want bustling, big-city amenities that are next to quiet, crime-free suburban single-family homes with big yards. They want low taxes and impeccable neghborhood services. They want low rent but don't want to live in a low-rent area. They want walkable neighborhoods with lots of big free parking lots but no traffic. They want unique local character, but only if there's a Chili's or at least a McDonald's nearby. Expecting the impossible from any city will only lead to disappointment--and if you're miserable in Sacramento because it can't deliver the impossible, you'll probably be miserable wherever you go.

Last edited by wburg; 09-08-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,237,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
See, that's the other interesting thing: half the folks here complain that Sacramento is too focused on suburbs, families and kids, and when anyone mentions Midtown the other half complain that Midtown isn't kid-friendly enough. As someone with no kids who doesn't go to bars, somehow I still have great difficulty with the idea that there is nothing to do--if anything, there are too many things for a 40 year old like me to keep up with around here. Of course, when I was in my mid-20s I used to tell people there was nothing to do here either, while I was seeing live bands 4-5 times a week and hanging out in Midtown Sacramento's lively early-1990s coffee shop scene.

This past weekend featured several street fairs (one family-friendly "Chalk It Up" festival at Fremont Park, and one gay/lesbian oriented Rainbow Festival at 20th and K) along with a weekend-long "Gold Rush Days" celebration in Old Sacramento and the final weekend of the California State Fair. Heck, if that isn't enough, there was a huge Greek food festival at the Convention Center, a big local institution in its own right, and even a chicken-wing-eating contest/charity event in Land Park.

Maybe I just don't get it. People want bustling, big-city amenities that are next to quiet, crime-free suburban single-family homes with big yards. They want low taxes and impeccable neghborhood services. They want low rent but don't want to live in a low-rent area. They want walkable neighborhoods with lots of big free parking lots but no traffic. They want unique local character, but only if there's a Chili's or at least a McDonald's nearby. Expecting the impossible from any city will only lead to disappointment--and if you're miserable in Sacramento because it can't deliver the impossible, you'll probably be miserable wherever you go.
Hi all, I'm moving to California and I need advice on a place to live

Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

What you are saying holds true for so many areas. Here is little NWA we hear from the 20 somethings: there is nothing to do:: all they have to do is a little reseach: there are musicals, fiestas, plays, name entertainers (especially around the university) small bands, waiting to get a break, etc every weekend. Add to that, spring, summer and the frist few weeks of fall we have rivers and lakes everywhere, perfect for water skiing, boating, fishing, whatever.

Nita

Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,661,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Don't like the weather from May-Sept. I wrote the wrong time frame. I am not getting into a huge debate over my personal opinion. This area isn't for me.
This was me in Seattle, I hated the weather from Sept to late June. I could only enjoy over 70 temps 6 to 8 weeks of the year.

Now I don't like the Sac weather when it gets 90+, but can tolerate it because it's only temporary - and really...the mornings are glorious! And the warm evenings are perfection!

So really I'm only "tolerating it" from 1 pm to 5 pm, 6 to 8 weeks a year. Small price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento