Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,155 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are new to Sacramento and are in the market for a new vehicle, more specifically a GMC. I personally have never bought a vehicle before and have heard plenty of horror stories about doing so from the "wrong" dealership. Are there any standout (good or bad) GMC dealers in the area (within 20-30 minutes or so)? I would like to hear some stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 PM

165 posts, read 976,942 times
What do you mean wrong dealership? GMCs are great trucks and you can find plenty of bargains these days. I wouldn't mind where i buy the car from as long as i get the car i want at a good price etc. I bought my car from the bmw in roseville auto mall and i am very happy with their customer service, i also checked a few others dealerships at the mall and i liked them all (customer service-wise). I would recomend you buy a car from the roseville auto mall and not from those dealerships on fulton ave where they try to rip you off!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Contact CostCo and see you they sell thru. We bought our truck for $2000 under invoice with a free 100,000 mile warranty.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM

Hellaslover: You answered your own question when you asked what I meant by wrong dealership. I wanted to be treated like more than a dollar bill and I don't want to be ripped off!!

Farretkona: I will check out the Costco thing. I just tried to do it online but I need a member number and we are not members. I'll try and give them a call.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Sams club has a similar program.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
I bought a used Tahoe from John L Sullivan in Roseville and I have had no Complaints. Heads up, They make their money on the financing (the higher the rate they charge you the more money they make. This is called yield spread premium or rebate) Also they will sell you a bunch of garbage that you don't need like paint protector, window tint etc. The other big money maker is the extended warranty.
Here is what I do when I buy: I research online extended warranty companies.
AA Auto Warranty – Extended Warranty Plans from the top Vehicle Warranty Providers Warranty Direct - auto warranty,extended warranty,warranty direct,used car warranty, Warranty Direct There are plenty, however I ALWAYS get the dealer warranty. I just use this as a negotiation tool. There are some of these companies that are scams. I always check Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers before I do business to anyone as safe measure. Anyway, I print off the cheapest quote I can find for a warranty that goes up to at least 100,000 miles.
Put it in your pocket. You don't need a paint protector. What will you do when someone opens their car door on yours or a shopping cart hits your car? Better yet, gravel and pebbles chip your paint when you are driving down the freeway so IMO save your money on that unecessary expense. If they offer just say "NO". You could pay a kids college education after buying all of that stuff and paying the finance charges on it!
Also do research on financing before you buy. Check your local credit union and neighborhood banks and ask them what your rate would be on a car loan. Get the quote in writing and also put that in your pocket. When the finance guy starts trying to sell you on this stuff just keep telling him/her "No thanks it's too expensive. Do not pull out your paper just yet. He/she will play the game of "Let me reduce this for you" then when that doesn't work he/she "Will check with his supervisor" keep that paper in your pocket. Finally when they won't go further they will ask you to sign a "Waiver" stating that you declined the extended warranty and that you assume full responsibility...blah, blah blah. Sign it (call their bluff) and most likely they will come down even more. When that happens and they tell you "This is our final offer", THEN you pull out your paper and say," Why would I buy it from you for $3,000 when I can get it from this company for $1,900? He/she will be stunned and will make excuses like, Well, it isn't a dealer warranty and what if that insurance company goes out of business? Well, auto manufacturers aren't really doing too hot either so you can work that to your advantage. Still, I ALWAYS take the dealer extended warranty, just use the online quotes to negotiate. If they try to give you a high rate on your auto just tell them you will either get your financing from your credit union and will be back in a few days (Oh they hate that more than anything) or that you would rather pay cash than finance the car since the rate stinks. If you don't finance then the finance person doesn't get any rebate. One more sales tactic you should know..they ALWAYS talk payment, not balance. Focus on the cost not the payment. As soon as they think they have you agreeing on a "great payment", they got you. It is cheaper for them to argue and wear you down for 2 hours then it is to lose a couple thousand bucks.
Do your homework before you go in and bring proof of your homework and you will save a lot of money and avoid being ripped off. I actually ask the sales person if I can use their computer and while I am waiting to meet with the finance person , that is when I pull extended warranty quotes LOL Although I would not suggest it for you. One last thing, do not be fooled into thinking that the dealer only makes what the dealer invoice shows. They get paid "Rebates" from the auto manufacturer based on sales. These can be some really nice rebates (thousands of dollars) that you as a buyer will never know about or see. If it's a used car then they have marked it up pretty high already and I wouldn't feel sorry for them. Last thing, do not be afraid to walk out and come back another day.
Here is some good info too: http://smarter-answers.com/cars/how-...FQRkswodojvjcQ Good luck!

Last edited by deuterdu; 02-17-2009 at 11:26 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Wow, thank you deuterdu... I appreciate you taking the time to share all of that with me. Thank you!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klin99 View Post
Wow, thank you deuterdu... I appreciate you taking the time to share all of that with me. Thank you!
Anytime!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 PM

Gap insurance!
They will push and try to shovel this down your throat.
Their gap ins. will add $1000's to your loan. $50 a year from your auto insurance co.

Gap ins. covers that amount your auto insurance does not pay if the vehicle is totaled. Ins only pays the worth not the loan.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Gap insurance!
They will push and try to shovel this down your throat.
Their gap ins. will add $1000's to your loan. $50 a year from your auto insurance co.

Gap ins. covers that amount your auto insurance does not pay if the vehicle is totaled. Ins only pays the worth not the loan.
Outstanding! I didn't think of that. Together we can keep the auto dealers profits thin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento