Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 26,978 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are possibly moving to Sacramento from Milwaukee, WI in the near future. I am 31 and my boyfriend is 39. We are looking for suggestions on a neighborhood that would be a good fit for us.
We are looking for a home in the $600K to $1M range, preferrably with a pool.
We would like to live in an area that has some life to it (restaurants, low-key nightlife) but that is also safe. There is also the possibility that there may be kids in the picture in a few years so we would also like somewhere that is family-friendly and has good schools.
We currently live in downtown Milwaukee and enjoy the access to restaurants, bars and the arts -- but we are not averse to living a little further from downtown as long as the neighborhood has some character.
Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated!
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
For $600K to $1M you can get a whole lot. Swimming pools aren't very common in the central city neighborhoods, and central city schools don't have the best reputation, so you'll pretty much have to choose between good schools for kids you don't have yet or nightlife/walkability.

If you decide on nightlife/walkability, I'd recommend taking a look at some of the neighborhoods around Midtown, specifically Boulevard Park and Poverty Ridge (despite the name, it is lined with Victorian mansions and big bungalows.) Both are quiet and comfortable neighborhoods but within walking distance of downtown, entertainment and dining. If you don't like old houses there are some new developments (some condo, some single-family) in the central city, but if you don't like old houses you won't like midtown as it is pretty much full of 'em.

Other nearby neighborhoods with character and pretty good schools, out of walking distance of downtown but still close, are East Sacramento and Land Park. These are fancier, more upscale neighborhoods--East Sacramento is home to a district known as the "Fabulous Forties" with a lot of big dramatic historic homes (and, sadly, a few tacky McMansions where they used to be.)

If you have kids later, there are plenty of beige McMansion farms with good schools nearby you can move to later.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 PM

415 posts, read 545,750 times
Do you know where both of you are going to be working?

Assuming you are working downtown, the closest area in your price range with good schools is probably going to be Sierra Oaks, Willhaggen, Arden Oaks or Arden Park.

East Sac, Land Park or the Pocket area probably would work if you were thinking about private schools.

A bit further out, but probably the best mixture of very good schools, excellent restaurants and very walkable neighborhoods is probably Davis.

Other areas in that price range that I think you might want to check out because they are in your price range although they don't really fit with your specifications would be getting a house along the Sacramento River. There are some pretty cool homes along the Garden Highway as well as in the lighthouse development in West Sac. The schools in those neighborhoods are probably closer to middling than strong, but there is something to be said for having a house with a boat dock too. Along the American River in Carmichael, there are some homes with river views as well that might be worth looking at as well. The schools there are probably better as well.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
In another posting you mentioned working in Modesto, while your boyfriend works in Sacramento. Assuming this to be the case, I would look at stuff near I-5, such as the Pocket area or Land Park, if you want to have a commute to Modesto that won't be much more than an hour and a half.

Frankly, I'd look further south...but if you don't mind the long drive every day.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Modesto? Yikes!

Another suggestion, rather than living somewhere in southern Sacramento to shave a few minutes off the trip to Modesto: Live in downtown, or midtown, where it's easy to get to the Amtrak station. Take the Amtrak "San Joaquin" commuter train, which goes straight to downtown Modesto, instead of driving there, which, as described above, is pretty awful.

Amtrak - Routes - California
Here's the actual schedule:
http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/oct08/W33.pdf
One thing I think many folks moving from the east coast or the midwest may not realize is just how big California is, and how long it takes to drive from cities that look comparatively close on a map. Driving will take about an hour and a half, each way--that adds up to 15 hours a week, assuming no delays. Taking the train would take about as long, but you can also eat breakfast and dinner on the train (instead having to juggle a McBreakfast and coffee in your lap while driving) and you can read, nap, study or do mobile work type stuff on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento