Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,763 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Sac. What is the best area to live with top schools? Also, b/c of the Folsom Lake, flooding is an issue, is there an area that would be safe from floods? So far we've looked at Folsom, Elk Grove, Roseville, Carmichael, and Gold River. We want to live somewhere safe to raise our family. Also, do you think it will get crowded like LA? Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:55 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
Well it depends on what you would like, and your price range. Do you want newer subdivisions if so Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin, and El Dorado Hills would be your best bets, maybe Elk Grove. They all have very good schools.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:09 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
I would think that out of those 'burbs that you mentioned, Elk Grove would be the least safe for the family. Though it's not a "dangerous" place, there is increased gang activities over the past few years.

Folsom Lake isn't the thing you should worry about flooding, it's the rivers, specifically the Sacramento River. The levees that hold the rivers back are in bad shape. Folsom Lake's dam isn't in bad shape.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM

42 posts, read 414,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw68 View Post
I would think that out of those 'burbs that you mentioned, Elk Grove would be the least safe for the family. Though it's not a "dangerous" place, there is increased gang activities over the past few years.

Folsom Lake isn't the thing you should worry about flooding, it's the rivers, specifically the Sacramento River. The levees that hold the rivers back are in bad shape. Folsom Lake's dam isn't in bad shape.
Yes, it's the rivers, not the lake. You are safer in Folsom than Natomas if considering floods--. Many area creeks flood some winters also--these have been the real flood trouble that has happened.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:01 AM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
Yeah, for floods, Natomas is the concern area right now (at least of all the new tract suburbs).

Everyplace you said is a popular one. Carmichael is older, Roseville and Folsom are some of the centers of current boom. Elk Grove has some nice areas, but isn't quite as luxurious on the whole as Folsom or Roseville, and is a little more polarized between nice and not. Lastly, Gold River. I don't know anything about it more than where it is, but I know people from there that like it.

I don't personally think it will become LA for a variety of reasons, but, although it'll grow no doubt, it just isn't the center of everything that LA is, and most likely never will be.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM

182 posts, read 927,296 times
QUOTE=southbay;517387]We may be moving to Sac. What is the best area to live with top schools? Also, b/c of the Folsom Lake, flooding is an issue, is there an area that would be safe from floods? So far we've looked at Folsom, Elk Grove, Roseville, Carmichael, and Gold River. We want to live somewhere safe to raise our family. Also, do you think it will get crowded like LA? Thanx.[/quote]

It is already crowded like LA! Gridlock, traffic, new developments and housing tracks going up everywhere; cookie-cutter homes and cookie-cutter business districts everywhere. Farmland and open space being converted into homes and towns at an astonishing rate. All of California is becoming like LA. Don't kid yourself about this. With millions of people moving here and many more illegal aliens moving here...it is inevitable. I love California and am saddened by it all. But, Sacramento is a nice place to live with lots of nice neighborhoods in the city/metro area. Lots of culture, night life, political activity, great restaurants, close to lots of recreational activity- mountains, rivers, lakes, beaches.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 33,193 times
If you have children, Gold River is a family friendly area with good school. Folsom is also a very good choice. If you need specific questions and like to receive information about houses in any area of Sacramento contact I and I will help you out. I am a realtor and see how many people have questions about moving to Sacramento and wonder why they don’t ask for help from a realtor. You don’t need to necessarily work with me but I am here to answer your questions and glad to help

Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Are you looking to rent or purchase? Homes are expensive to purchase and appreciate in value very quickly. The Sacramento area is already in many ways like LA. Although the city of Sacramento itself only has about 400 thousand people it's really one big metropolitan area from Davis all the way out to Folsom. In addition remember the city is in a valley so smog is something terrible. Just living there is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. If you can afford it look for a home out in the Foothills (watch out for the bobcats sneaking into your back yard if you have children) or Folsom. Schools are great and the neighborhoods are safe.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times
Actually bobcats are usually too small to be a concern except for small dogs or cats. But we do have a mountain lion visiting our community currently causing some trouble and would be a danger for children and even larger pets. Usually coyotes are only a concern for very small children and pets. But they were here first, so it's something to consider if you choose the foothills......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento