U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,223 times

Advertisements

I am a middle-aged MD about to relocate to Sacramento from Miami. I would like to live in a safe, upscale neighborhood where I am not too far from UC Davis Medical center. I heard that parking is tough and crime is quite high downtown. Will probably rent for a bit until I figure out where I want to buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,628,529 times
Click on the maps here, then click on census information. Then choose 2000 census tract information. Then click on median income information or educational attainment. That will give you a really good idea of where the well educated and wealthy live. You can also find information about which races live where. Demographic Maps and Reports of United States 1790 to Present - Social Explorer If you don't have school age kids, I would look at probably East Sac or Curtis Park. If you have kids, I would look at Sierra Oaks, Willhaggen, Del Dayo, Arden Oaks or Arden Park. The commute is a bit further but the public schools are much better. The state of California rates the local public schools. Here are the scores of public schools in Sacramento County. If you click on the name of the school, it will bring up more information about the local school including demographic information about the parents of the children attending the school. Since a lot of schools have local school attendence zones, that will often give you an excellent idea of how strong the local neighborhoods are. In the Sacramento City Unified School District, the high scoring schools are magnet schools, that you have to apply to get into.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 8,074 times
Default Moving to Sacramento for UCDMC

Hello,

I work at UCD and I live next to the Sacramento UCDMC campus. Its not as bad as you have heard. Actually, I love living here. I have been in the neighborhood for 12 years, the past 6 as a homeowner in the neighborhood called Elmhurst which is adjacent to the campus.

Parking:
If you live here and work at UCDMC (1) you don't need a car (2) you get a parking permit so that you can park locally.

Crime:
The real and perceived crime problem varies alot in the neighborhoods surrounding UCDMC. Unlike the East Coast cities where I grew up, the SES of neighborhoods in most California towns varies hugely from block to block. So it is a good idea to rent and get to know the microclimates before deciding what street you want to buy into as a homeowner.

Convenience:
Many people who have never lived in or near downtown Sacramento are afraid of it. I don't know if this is due to thier ignorance, racism, or both. But I do know that they spend alot of thier time and money on transportation and parking (and I don't have to).

I suggest researching the Elmhurst neighborhood and surroundings. There are always several smallish houses for rent here (most houses were build in the 1940s -1950s and are 1 or 2 bdrms).

Best of luck with your relocation.

Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus57 View Post
I am a middle-aged MD about to relocate to Sacramento from Miami. I would like to live in a safe, upscale neighborhood where I am not too far from UC Davis Medical center. I heard that parking is tough and crime is quite high downtown. Will probably rent for a bit until I figure out where I want to buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,633,405 times
Quote:
I heard that parking is tough and crime is quite high downtown.
I'm not sure what the relevance is since UCDMC is not downtown.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 PM

553 posts, read 2,190,488 times
Quote:
Davis. That is all unless you want to commute in the horrid traffic

Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 PM

109 posts, read 342,803 times
The UC Med Center is not in the main campus in Davis. Instead its at the site of the old state fairgrounds in an area that is between the Oak Park and Elmhurst neighborhoods inside the city limits of Sacramento. The commute from the city of Davis would be much worse than the commute from East Sac or Curtis Park.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 PM

8,416 posts, read 15,393,424 times
Indeed...it's kind of a "who is buried in Grant's Tomb" kind of question, but UC Davis Medical Center is in Sacramento.

Part of UCDMC is now on the site of the old state fairgrounds between Oak Park, Elmhurst and Colonial Heights, although the older portion of the UCDMC campus was originally Sacramento's county hospital, dating back to the 1870s when the California state fair was held on the site of the Capitol Park rose garden and the racetrack was at 20th and H Street, a neighborhood now called Boulevard Park.

For walking-distance proximity, look at the southern end of East Sacramento and the aforementioned Elmhurst. Both are comfortable tree-shaded residential neighborhoods--as Majin mentions, UCDMC is not downtown (nor in Davis.)

Oak Park, just south of UCDMC, is a relatively high-crime neighborhood that will probable be the new "hip" neighborhood once all the college students and musicians are priced out of Midtown (already in progress.) It is far enough south that it is not much of a worry, and much of the neighborhood immediately adjacent to UCDMC on the south has taken to calling itself the "Med Center" neighborhood: a significant percentage of the homes are owned or rented by hospital staff.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 PM

109 posts, read 342,803 times
The Sacramento City Unified School district operates a bunch of magnet programs. If your kid gets into the magnet programs, some of the schools are excellent. But you don't have any assurances that your kids will get into the programs by merely buying into a specific neighborhood and their is a pretty good chance your kids will end up in school that isn't nearly so great. Most of the schools in the suburban districts are neighborhood schools, with the exception of some charter schools. If you buy a home in the attendance district of the school you are interested in, your kids generally have the right to attend that specific neighborhood school.

Why I thought Elk Grove was a good idea was that given your space, room number and budget, I think you are likely to find something big enough in your budget in an area with pretty good schools.

But quite honestly, I don't think you are going to find a 3000+ sqft 4 or bedroom home in East Sac or Curtis Park for less than 500k. I am confindent that you can do that in Elk Grove. I am hopeful that you could do that in Folsom, Gold River or even Sierra Oaks but not entirely confident. I am highly doubtful that you will be able to do that in Curtis Park, East Sac or even Elmhurst. Even if you moved there you probably should include in your budget the cost of private schools for your kids.

Housing is cheap enough in Oak Park where in theory you could do it. But if I had a wife and school age children, that neighborhood is place I would avoid if I had better options like you do.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 PM

186 posts, read 489,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Minor View Post
The commute from the city of Davis would be much worse than the commute from East Sac or Curtis Park.
Wow. When I worked @ UCDMC 25 years ago, the commute from the city of Davis was a straight shot over to the hospital. Is there now a rush hour? As bad as the SF Bay Area?

Like the original poster (sorry for intruding on your thread), we're relocating to CA. We're considering homes in Davis and employment @ UCDMC. Can anyone tell me how long that commute would take, say @ 6 AM and @ 6 PM?

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 PM

186 posts, read 489,113 times
Quote:

Why I thought Elk Grove was a good idea was that given your space, room number and budget, I think you are likely to find something big enough in your budget in an area with pretty good schools.

Elk Grove is lovely. My Dad lives there. My parents use to live in the POCKET region off of Riverside (?)... can't quite recall...but another lovely community you might want to check out. The commute to UCDMC from the Pocket Road area was a piece of cake ...25 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento