Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 20,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
This is a map of election results for prop 8 to amend California Constitution to prevent gay marriage. If you were looking for the most gay friendly neighborhoods in this region these are the areas I would focus on.

Results of the Proposition 8 ballot initiative - Interactive Graphics - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/1232/rich_media/1355616.html - broken link)
This is fantastic! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapbell View Post
Besides, we don't need to live in a huge gay community, just somewhere we won't be stared at or made to feel unwelcome. The "affordable town" searches bring back names of places that may or may not be conservative insular communities. I can't figure it all out.

Please help keep my head from exploding.

Thanks,
sap
Your overall assessment is accurate. I am gay and lived in Sacramento in the mid 1990s and never had a problem. The downtown/midtown area has a lot of gays/lesbians, although it is not a "gay" neighbhorhood per se. But I don't really see anywhere in Sac being a problem.

I don't know if you can get what you want for $1300 in Sac. But I do know it would probably be impossible anywhere in the Bay Area unless you can find someone to rent to you for below market rates (good luck!). Davis was more expensive than Sac (but cheaper than the Bay Area) when I lived there and it appears that's still the case.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapbell View Post
I was also told recently by someone who works in real estate in Sacramento that the city is a little tricky in that one block can be really nice and the next, not so much.
Yes, that is definitely true, espeically in the downtown/midtown area.

Generally, I think it's safer as you get into the streets numbered in the 20s & 30s. Lower numbered streets can still be ok, although sketchier. Things may have changed but back in the mid 1990s the streets to stay away from were 16th and 19th because crime from those streets spills over into adjacent neighborhoods (even ones that look nice).

Also, back in the mid 90s streets A through F were generally to be avoided (especially if they were near the lower numbered streets (16th or lower).

This may have all changed, so you will have to check that out for yourself.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Did you look on craigslist?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 20,180 times
Yep, I'm on Craigslist almost everyday, and when I'm not, my partner is. The problem has been that street addresses mean nothing to us. When we find something affordable, the question is always, why is it affordable? Does affordable always equal bad neighborhood?

It's so hard to plan a move to a city you know nothing about. My partner will be in Sacramento next week with a digital camera and a map. You've all given us some good places to start.

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 12,425 times
My neighborhood is in the section of the Prop 8 map that voted against it. Downtown as well. Great suggestion to look at this map. If you look for Sutterville school on a map, you should be able to find all of the streets I mentioned. North: Sutterville Rd, west: Del Rio, east: Freeport Blvd, south: Fruitridge. Also, east of Freeport Blvd, north of Fruitridge and west of 24th Street is also a very good area, called Hollywood Park.

These are burbs, sort of. Feels more like a sleepy extension of Downtown, as I've lived both places. East Sac is beautiful, but more expensive.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Glad you're coming our way.

Robyn

Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Without looking at all the maps and other aids that have been offered, and as a relatively long-term resident on downtown Sacto who has walked to work for years, I can tell you that Sacramento has its decidedly "Lavender Heights" area and there should be plenty of reasonable accomodations in and near it.

Good luck! It ain't my lifestyle but it is one of my children's.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

19 posts, read 85,368 times
Please be careful when looking for rentals on Craigslist. I wasn't the victim of a scam but discovered a huge number of home for rent that were connected to a rental scam. I would only deal with a property management company if possible.
Good luck in your search, schooling and move!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,005 times
I live in Sacramento between 12th ave and William land park/ZooA beautiful area and I'm within walking distance from it all. also right nxt to main freeways access.I'm a renter with huge amounts of fruit trees live off the land for a good while...It's a 2brm w/fireplace itz cozy n a secret hideaway with fenceing all around and safe and quite and for the those summer days of sunbathing n sexy nite bbq's.The landlords are the sweetest and fair folks i've ever met,they just want good clean tenants that shows responsiblity,they live out of the state.I've been here for some time,I'm moving to Alameda 7/1/09 or sQQner...and i'm just looking out for them and you sound like you need the purrfect home setting for your pet and you/your SO.it's peaceful and you'll have 2 neighbors that's like invisible.I'm a single female i had bars put on all the windows becuse its pretty secluded...and like i said i live alone...but if you'd like pics you can let me no where to send them..Just a friendly person.....1100 a month.if not Good luck with your search..i no how it is....blessings

Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM

402 posts, read 1,020,893 times
Echo the sentiments of midtown. Not sure if you can find a house here in your price range, but Midtown would be perfect for you. I currently live in Midtown and it is very accepting of diversity. There are gay bars in the area and no one thinks twice when they see a couple holding hands.

Personally, I would choose Sac over Davis. Sac is a decent sized city, but there is almost zero traffic here and it is very easy to get from point A to point B at most times of the day. So, you would not be dealing with the same traffic issues that you dealt with in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento