Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 PM

137 posts, read 542,880 times

Advertisements

I like gyms with great weights room, clean, and unlimited towels. Capital Athletic Club is one in Sacto that has this, but are there any other gyms similar, yet a bit cheaper? I don't need something as fancy as CAC. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Alhambra Athletic Club on Alhambra and Q.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM

119 posts, read 518,108 times
In the downtown midtown area, the 24hourfitness is probably your best bet as for something cheaper than the Capitol Athletic Club. It doesn't offer a towel service, but it has nice pool. The equipment is about 10 years old. It has a sauna, but that seems to be the place where the local homosexuals hook up.

If you go that route, costco is offering a two year access to most versions of their gym other than the supersport locations for $200. (locally that would mean you could go to any of there gyms but the one in Folsom)

In general 24hourfitness has opened up a bunch of newer clubs in the area in the past 5 years. The one in the old Florin Mall opened last fall. The one at Fulton and Hurley is about 3 or 4 years old and has a pool, a basketball ct its pretty nice.

If you are looking for other gyms in the region to check out near downtown and midtown. I would look at Pipeworks.

Touchstone Climbing: Sacramento Pipeworks

You might also look at the California Family Fitness downtown although the last time I was there it was kind of dowdy. But maybe it has been remodeled since I was last there.

California Family Fitness - Downtown/J St.

There is a YMCA in midtown, but the equipment there is probably from the 60's.

There are some nicer clubs like Rio Del Oro out near campus commons, but I think their membership for an individual is going to be more than what you would pay to go to the Capitol Athletic Club.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM

59 posts, read 160,251 times
I used to go to 24 hour fitness on Fulton but I hated waiting for equipment after 5 pm. That place was packed and that was the only time I was able to work out with my busy schedule. So I joined Capital Athletics Club and I never have to wait. I absolutely love the fact that they have a salon and they do your laundry and put it in your permanent locker for you. So, you actually don't have to pack a bag each time you go in. Its very well worth it to me and they actually have a special going on right now.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:55 AM

138 posts, read 510,862 times
I went to Alhambra for years but as my kids got older and I moved a little a farther away I switched. I miss the crowd ,great midweek group who all kind of work or live nearby.The place does not look the most updated but you get towels,shower gel etc... and they have always had good front desk staff and great group exercise instructors.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM

139 posts, read 831,970 times
There are also a couple of tennis clubs with gyms in Sac.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
I like gyms with great weights room, clean, and unlimited towels. Capital Athletic Club is one in Sacto that has this, but are there any other gyms similar, yet a bit cheaper? I don't need something as fancy as CAC. Thanks
I am a weight room junkie, can't get enough. At one point in time I had memberships to Powerhouse, Golds, and 24 hour fitness. I've explored almost all of the locations for these as well. Here is the run down:

Golds gym, Natomas:

BEST gym for what you are looking for. Hands down. About $45/month will get you in, and it's well worth it IMO.

Excellent equipment, beautiful facility, squeaky clean locker rooms with electronic lockers (no worry about theft), sauna, hammerflex equipment, free weights, cable machines, and sufficient upstairs cardio. It's air conditioned, the staff is friendly, and it has a cardio theatre and juice bar. I love this location. It's never crowded, though it maintains a good energy. It is the best for someone that is truly into excercise, and you can fit in there as a bodybuilder OR just someone that enjoys working out. There are all types in this gym.

24 hour downtown:

Always crowded, but has a decent selection of weights and machines from hammerflex type to nautilus. The downtown local is a meat market, which can be good or bad depending on your perception. The locker rooms are consistently dirty, as are the bathrooms, and this is the second straight summer they have claimed that the air conditioning does not work. The Sunsrise blvd. location is probably the cleanest and most well kept around here, and the Folsom location is a 24/hour sports upgrade, with full towel service.

The advantage to 24 hour obviously is the ease at which you can find a location. There are several all around the area, but the other locals I've been to closer towards Citrus Heights are small, and again the Elk Grove location is a bit dirty.

Powerhouse gym, Rancho Cordova:

Small gym, never crowded, plays loud 80's music, some ultra meat heads in their early 40's that truly think they are god, but all around a good gym. Good equipment, and you'll never have to wait for a bench or machine. Main advantage is that membership is only $20/month. They also offer Ju-Jitsu classes for free on certain days, and they do have towels.

There are any number of other small gyms in the area, some of which were already mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento