Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,155 times

Advertisements

To add on to my previous statement - if I made negative comments about black folks in a public setting where I might be offending people, should I not expect any negative repercussions just because I'm exercising my freedom of speech? If I drive around with a big sticker on my car that calls all religious people freaks, should I just expect those who don't like my comments to look the other way? Or would some peoples' act of damaging my car be seen as the destruction of freedom of speech?

These DJs put their station in an awkward position by stating their controversial opinions on the air. Should they be silenced? That's for their boss to decide, since the DJs are the "face" or "voice" of the station. Should they be criticized for their offensive comments? I would expect that to be the case. Does the fact that there can be negative repercussions to saying something offensive mean that our freedom of speech is being destroyed? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
[quote=ringwise;9148575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Ok, I heard about the recent controversy on 98 Rock regarding the Rob, Arnie, and Dawn show.
Rob made some pretty vile and messed up comments about transgender people along with his fat-ass sidekick Arnie. I heard the censored version on the local news.

You're entitled to your opinion about Arnie, but they aren't entitled to the same right? Agree or disagree, there is free speech in this country.
Free speech isn't the issue here. People are obviously saying whatever the heck they want on both sides of the fence, so whatever to that. I can't stand when people start using the whole "free speach" argument. Rob said something to the effect of, "it's my right call them freaks" like some sort of petulant child.
The issue here is having a bit more awareness and sensitivity to the issue before people go off on some vulgar diatribe that makes little sense. Worst off, these "free speech" comments are hateful, plain and simple and help to incite violence. The question here is not free speach but having some degree of good taste and social responsibility.
I sure wouldn't want to leave this is as my life's legacy in 40 years.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM

"But considering that their fight is one for respect, tolerance, and nonhatred, I find it ironic that the most visible tactics used embody the worst of the attributes they claim to despise".

*Well, the reason, plain and simple, is that gays, transgenders, minorities, and anyone else who's ancestors didn't sail over on the Mayflower are finally fed up!!
Thank goodness for the extremists. Thank goodness that for the first time in America's history, the gays, transgenders, and their supportes are fighting back against this kind of crap. I go beyond talking about this stupid morning talk show. I'm talking about all the opression, all the bigotry, the sneers, the taunting, and physical and emotional abuse these people have endured for generations. If you haven't been through it, than there is no possible way you can relate to what I am saying.
So call them extremists, I call it way overdue.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mginny View Post
This is the most encouraging post I have read and I 100% agree with you! (Until the part where you said you are probably wrong.) Anyone who listens to RAD every morning, as I do, knows what they are like. Last time I checked we are all able to change the station. I have a child with Down syndrome and find the word "retard" offensive. THey use it and it makes me cringe but I would NEVER be part of the kind of smear campaign these folks are doing. WHere were they when "retard" comments were being made. THey care only about their own agenda and they do not value free speech. THank you for your well thought out and educated comments!
Oh geez - an "agenda" -- give me a break.
Honestly, I doubt that most gays and trannies listen to RAD to begin with because of their history trashing the gay community. If the gays were going to raise a stink, they would be doing so on a regular basis based on the frequency of offensive comments made about them by Rob and Arnie.
This particular issue was exceptional and ruthless against the trans community. Not to mention, advocating child abuse against a young person that might be struggling with gender identity issues. So
of course they're pissed because this issue is personally offensive to them! So why would the gay or trans community defend your child or anyone else's child with Down Syndrome?? Your "agenda" argument holds no water in this case.
If anything, I find it disturbing that you continue to listen to this show despite what they say about your child's disability. How does it make you feel when they say "retard" or some other equally offensive word? Not very good I bet.
Maybe you should get off your bum, stop listening to this crap, and do a little protesting on your own and demand some respect for your child??

Last edited by cityx; 06-09-2009 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mginny View Post
...WHere were they when "retard" comments were being made. THey care only about their own agenda and they do not value free speech....
Different things offend different people. You get offended by the use of the word "retard" because you have a person with developmental disabilities in your life. Other people are closer to other issues for whatever reason, and thus, are more sensitive to them when they come up. It's not an "agenda", it's about relating to the issue and speaking out because it's an issue that is important to you.

And the whole argument that just because you protest when someone says something you find inappropriate you don't value free speech is getting ridiculous. As if preventing people from speaking out against vulgar or offensive comments used by someone in a public setting, everything would be better because we're protecting free speech... please. Let's get rid of the defamation laws then - they're violating freedom of speech! You can't strip away personal responsibility in the name of free speech.

This comes down to being accountable for things you say, especially when you're in a position to speak those words in front of a large audience. If you want to share your offensive opinion about a group of people with a large audience, you should be prepared to take responsibility when people stand up and protest your comments. If you have an extreme negative opinion of gays, black people, Jews, Mexicans, short people, fat people, or Asian people, should you really be able to voice that offensive opinion without expecting some type of repercussion? I wouldn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento