Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,140,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yup! Toad tunnels, bat sanctuaries, et al!
You may not be aware of it, but CalTrans provides a lot of artificial bat nesting habitat under bridges in this state, to mitigate for habitat loss. It's nothing unique to Davis.

The toad tunnel, unfortunately, is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 12,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
I suppose that I really should have put in some qualifiers. Certainly I can agree with "Moved" because I spent the last two years in college at a place that I absolutely hated. It wasn't homesickness, the area and people and the size of the town sucked. I had to go to St. Louis occasionally just to feel like I hadn't moved to an alien planet. Certainly, going somewhere without being 100% behind the move, and then not being able to find a job, would make anyone bitter. I'm glad that you found your niche. My father-in-law lives in north county and we once thought that area would be nice for retirement, but it's the same problem with too many people living there that we're trying to get away from here.

Anyway, we would be enjoying a lot of traveling in northern California if we lived in Chico. We like the idea of being in a community with a university. My wife retired this year as a college professor. We don't mind students, but we wouldn't be downtown partying with them, either. Having a good-sized university would offer the possibility of part-time teaching for my wife and the opportunity to take the occasional class as well. What we might miss is some nice, non-chain restaurants. Not expecting 5-star, but something other than the usual Chili's/Outback and the like for an occasional special night out would be great. My wife is an excellent cook, so we could live with having to go to Sacramento for a few days if we really wanted the big-city restaurant scene.

For some reason the issue of shopping comes into play in recommendations for a place to live. We both hate to shop and order virtually everything online, so if the local mall has 1 store or 100 it wouldn't matter to us. We also don't go into big-box stores except maybe for Lowe's or Home Depot.

Mainly, we're seeking a place with low crime and a quiet neighborhood, since we also have a lot of indoor/around-the-house interests.
The shopping thing is actually going to be a big perk as far as Chico goes. This town is almost vehemently anti-chain... it really surprised me when I first moved here. Tres Hombres, Sierra Nevada, , Monks, Sultan's Bistro, Chada Thai, a lot more. There's not exactly a lot of 5-star places, but we have a lot of very good local restaurants and they definitely outnumber the usual Chili's/Outback joints.

Also... if your wife's a cook, she'll probably be fond of the Farmers Market. The Thursday one is more of a weekly festival sort of thing, but the Saturday market is fantastic. I'm there almost every time. One of the perks about living in the middle of a huge agricultural area.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:03 PM

60 posts, read 269,921 times
I would definitely not suggest that you live in Magalia. 4 out of the 6 people that I have met from Magalia were crack addicts. I wish I was kidding. Also, the houses there are really spread out, and there is nothing there that really draws that community together. Durham is basically a displaced southerners town, and most of the people there are farmers who have fake southern accents (it's strange). The people from that town are generally very rude. If you're deadset on living outside of Chico, Paradise would be the best out of all of the options. It's quaint, there are loads of trees, and the people there are friendlier than the people in Magalia and Durham.

Almost everything that people have said about Chico being dangerous is false. The city doesn't revolve around drinking, and the bar scene here has faded out considerably since its heyday in the 70s and 80s. Plus, if you start things at a bar with someone who is 6'5, maybe you deserve it. Just saying.

Also, the bus system is a lot more widespread than it used to be. The B-Line has stops all over town and is used much more frequently than a few years ago. Chico is also a very bike-friendly town, if you're into that. You can get anywhere on bike, either through the park or in the bike lanes that line the side of most of the streets.

Somebody mentioned that Chico is no longer progressive, and while that may be true in some cases (Prop. 8, for example), the environmental issue here is one that a large portion of the city's residents have rallied behind. A community garden has begun, and the farmers markets (the one on Thursday evenings occurs during the spring, summer, and fall, while the Saturday morning one is year-round) are filled with organic produce and other locally produced items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento