U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 11,236 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I am relocating to the Sac area from Canada and am looking for suggestions on the best places to rent apartments or homes. Business is going to keep me in Roseville most of the time so communte is something I have to keep in mind. I am single and fall into to the late-20s to early-30s age group. So while the school district is not a major concern, safety and cleanliness is. I would ideally like to be in a place where it would be fairly easy to meet other single professionals and has some nice cafes/places to hang out.

Also how bad of a commute would San Francisco to Roseville be ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 06:06 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,818,809 times
Roseville is a good rental area - but it's mostly families, which means it's clean and nice and yuppie

I'm partial to Midtown myself www.midtowngrid.com

Especially in the late 20s/early 30s no kids crowd.

Your commute from Roseville to SF and Sac to SF are close to the same, at least an hour and half without traffic

I'm in Seattle now and wishing to move back to Sac - good luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the response. How safe is the midtown area during the evenings and weekends ? Is there is anything to do (entertainment wise) during the weekends in midtown ?

Also how good/bad is the commute from midtown to Roseville during peak hour ?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Midtown is the happening place to be - it's the spot for nightlife, concerts, sports games etc

If you lived in Roseville you'd be driving to Midtown to go out

The commutes all around Sacramento are bad no matter where you live - but at least if you are trying to get from Midtown TO Roseville it's a reverse commute. Should still be bad but better then Roseville to Sac.

I lived in Midtown for 10 years (a single woman in her 20s), I was never scared once and never had any crime problems - NO MATTER what anyone tells you. I found it quite safe. And easy to get around - even by bike!

If you want the same midtown feel but an upscale neighborhood, right next to it is East Sac which is quite nice

Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Citygirl, thank you so much for the previous reply. I feel slightly better about the midtown option now. Do you have recommendations of the areas/streets to live in East Sac or midtown ?

Do you know how good/bad the public transportation system within Sac is ? I tried looking this up on the internets but I haven't found much information.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,484,186 times
Light rail is the main public transportation system, unfortunately it isnt all that great, and deosnt go to roseville. You could use amtrak which has stations in roseville and sacramento. However amtrak is expensive.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:29 AM

163 posts, read 730,322 times
Midtown is indeed where you want to look. Lived in Roseville when I first moved to the area...borrrrrring. It's a big fancy suburbia. The drive from Midtown area to Roseville (depending what part...) is gonna be 15-25 min tops. Like 10 miles of freeway ( at most ) between them.

Should be plenty safe. And it is the only area (well, and downtown) that will have things going on/nightlife. So yes.

We have lightrail, but it doesn't go anywhere you want to go, so no on the public transit.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:15 AM

All of East sac is safe and wonderful

IN Midtown - try and stay in the HIGH numbers (at least above 16th street, in the 20s is better)

And try and stay in the low letters if you can (like F,G, H, I, J etc) although the high letters are okay too

California is not known for good public transit, and yes there is light rail but 1) it doesn't go to Roseville and 2) it's dirty and gross

California is a commuter state - nearly everyone has at least one car

You can take the buses but they aren't great either and will take you 15 minute drive to roseville up to 90 minutes (probably more with all the connections)

It's best to have a car, if you can not afford a car I would say get a scooter at least

Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. The overwhelming consensuses seems to be midtown Sac or East Sac. I am going to start apartment hunting right there. Looking forward to other responses too.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,265,176 times
I lived in midtown Sacramento for years. I liked it a lot, but left Sacramento because the real estate prices are REALLY high and I wanted to purchase a home. The whole downtown area is considered a high crime area but for the most part if you leave people alone they will leave you alone. I had my car window broken and my car radio swiped three times in two years. And there is a gang problem. In the midtown area there are asian, black, hispanic and white gangs. The midtown area also has a lot of homeless people there. The areas largest soup kitchen is close to midtown and it serves about 2500 meals a day, so you see many many homeless people hanging around but the police presence is there as well. The midtown area is great as far as entertainment goes. Everything is there from movie theaters, the community center, Old Sacramento, the K Street mall, the rivercats (pro baseball), museums and restaurants --- all within walking distance. On Friday after work I would park my car and not have to use it again until I had to go to work on Monday.

One word of advice, don't rent a place in midtown without going back and seeing what it's like at night. It can be a completely different world after dark. Also many apartments for rent are not listed in the local newspaper (sacbee.com). Every apartment I ever found down there I located just by driving around and looking for the FOR RENT signs in the windows. Many of the best apartments in the midtown area are not the typical apartment house type rentals. They are the old Victorian type houses that have been cut up and renovated into apartments. The drive on the freeways during rush hour can give you a headache. It slows down to bumper to bumper traffic. Surface streets have (or used to have) traffic cameras. So don't run any red lights or you may get a nasty 270 dollar surprise in the mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento