Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 PM

171 posts, read 879,897 times

Advertisements

ROAD TRIP...Please Help: I need to know the Top 5 fun places to visit in Northern CA. We will be traveling by car and have three kids, ages 11, 8, and 6. Might be bringing the dog too.

Any good ideas of the "must sees". We love all types of things indoor and outdoor, nature, adventure, etc..... Plan to travel, end of July - beginning of August. We are starting from CA and trying to see parts of NV, UT, ID, MT and Northern CA.

And yes, I know it's crazy! hee hee
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM

109 posts, read 377,807 times
For road trips, I was always a big fan of Roadside America and similiar sites to it like weird California.

They provide links to help you find the worlds largest ball of string. Locally some of the attractions would be the Dixon Orange and the Giant statutes of Auburn.

Weird California - Giant Orange Stands of California

Ken Fox's Great Statues of Auburn, Auburn, California

I am sure others will suggest more commonplace suggestions like visiting Tahoe or Donner or San Francisco. But me, I like the Dixon Orange.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
wow, that is so hard, depending how far north you want to go: I would not miss the Redwoods, even if you can only do Muir Woods, (just north of San Francisco) of course Lake TAhoe is at the top of the list and maybe the Wine country. That would be a must for many, but with the kids, it isn't as important. I would think San Francisco would be another place as well as the coast around Carmel. Many will add to this list I am sure.

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
The kids might enjoy the California State Railroad Museum in Old Town Sacramento, as well as Old Sacramento itself, although it's pretty much a tourist trap. The museum is said to be one of the best.

Lake Tahoe for sure.

The redwoods.

If you get to Eureka, be sure to have a meal at the Samoa Cookhouse. No, it isn't run by Samoans, the name of the town is Samoa. All family-style, all-you-can-eat. People have been known to pass on a fancy meal to go there.

The Mt. Shasta area is beautiful.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
The kids might enjoy the California State Railroad Museum in Old Town Sacramento, as well as Old Sacramento itself, although it's pretty much a tourist trap. The museum is said to be one of the best.

Lake Tahoe for sure.

The redwoods.

If you get to Eureka, be sure to have a meal at the Samoa Cookhouse. No, it isn't run by Samoans, the name of the town is Samoa. All family-style, all-you-can-eat. People have been known to pass on a fancy meal to go there.

The Mt. Shasta area is beautiful.
wow, I was under the impression the Samoa Cookhouse was no longer in business. Good to know, they are...Wow..

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
How current is your information, Nita? It's been a few years since we were up there; maybe 10 or more.

Here is their website with a phone number, for the OP, if interested:

Welcome to the Historic Samoa Cookhouse - Since 1890 on California's North Coast

Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
I went to Samoa Cookhouse last year; they were still in operation then.

The California State Railroad Museum is one of the best in the country. If the kids (or the grown-ups) like trains it's worth the trip. Old Sacramento is kind of a tourist trap, but no more than Fisherman's Wharf or any other place set up primarily to attract tourists.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
How current is your information, Nita? It's been a few years since we were up there; maybe 10 or more.

Here is their website with a phone number, for the OP, if interested:

Welcome to the Historic Samoa Cookhouse - Since 1890 on California's North Coast
I am guessing about 10 years ago, our daughter and son in law went there plus she still has a couple of friends that live in the general area. I hope I am wrong, I can't understand why they would close. They are a landmark and a great place to enjoy a real home cooked meal. We used to love to got there for breakfast. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I went to Samoa Cookhouse last year; they were still in operation then.

The California State Railroad Museum is one of the best in the country. If the kids (or the grown-ups) like trains it's worth the trip. Old Sacramento is kind of a tourist trap, but no more than Fisherman's Wharf or any other place set up primarily to attract tourists.
thanks, I am glad to hear that. It must be only the 4th time in my life I have been wrong...Not quite!!!!!!!!

Maybe the 4th time yesterday..
Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 AM

138 posts, read 510,924 times
My
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento