Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM

599 posts, read 1,653,114 times

Advertisements

We have friends moving out and it has been tough for them to decide where to live. They are picking btw. Davis and Placerville. They asked me for an opinion but I am not offering one cause...well, cause of many reasons.

I wanted to get a 3rd opinion.

They like the country feel of Placerville and cost of living compared with Davis but the school are better in Davis but housing is thru the roof. I didn't think the schools were that bad in Placerville. They said Davis had this feeling of being uppity.

Just wanted to hear what you had to say....I told them I would get another opinion.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Whew, it is the type of decision where one or the other should "jump out at you" as feeling more right. They are very different cities and surrounding areas, so the choice should be obvious for anyone considering either.

I like Placerville a bit better myself. For me, the surrounding hilly and wooded area and more casual daily living atmosphere is a bit more appealing. However, I know quite a few folks who would prefer Davis, with the university and all it offers, the higher tempo downtown area and the access to San Francisco and the surrounding areas.

Both are fine, but the preference should really be obvious to the folks.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Whew, it is the type of decision where one or the other should "jump out at you" as feeling more right. They are very different cities and surrounding areas, so the choice should be obvious for anyone considering either.

I like Placerville a bit better myself. For me, the surrounding hilly and wooded area and more casual daily living atmosphere is a bit more appealing. However, I know quite a few folks who would prefer Davis, with the university and all it offers, the higher tempo downtown area and the access to San Francisco and the surrounding areas.

Both are fine, but the preference should really be obvious to the folks.

I would think the same thing. But for them it is 50/50. I don't want to offer an opinion b/c I know it would make up their minds. How are the schools in Placerville? I know Davis is top notch. Thanks for your post.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Placerwho?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Gosh...where to start.

We were there in 2007. We were looking to live there in the near future. We explored both places and we came to the conclusion that Davis was our choice. Why? We are doing it for the future of our children. The education system is so much better than Placerville. Yeah, Placerville has the beautiful country side and rolling hills. But, my husband have met people from Placerville b/c of certain conferences for the mental health community, and he was not pleased with their attitude.

The proctor of the conference kept referring to "the dominant culture" as the "NORM." My husband kept asking what he meant by that statement. Let's put it this way, it wasn't nice. That was the "Norm" for his culture. He was Caucasian. I know that's not the general consensus with the Placerville population. But the proctor is well educated in the community issues. I'm not pushing this issue, but the conversation he had with the proctor (Ph.D.) afterwards was not nice at all!!!!

Stick with Davis. We explored that area and we were very pleased. We're a gay couple and the people of Davis didn't bat an eye when we held hands. I'm just referring to the fact that they're open-minded and diverse.

In short, if you're looking for education and diversity, Davis! Avoid Placerville. Use Placerville to escape from the mundane and have a picnic in their parks.

Sorry Placerville!

The School comparison:

http://www.schoolfinder.ca.gov/Compare.aspx

Last edited by brikag; 06-24-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM

119 posts, read 518,146 times
The schools are excellent in Davis, better than Placerville. But in Placerville you could send your kids to some fairly strong schools like El Dorado High School and Sierra Elementary.

2008 Base API County List of Schools - EL DORADO County

I don't see schools being the criteria that I would use to for picking one place over another.

Instead I would be looking at potential commutes. Davis and Placerville are pretty far away. If they were working in Folsom or El Dorado Hills, I would be looking more at Placerville. If they will be working closer to downtown, I would be looking more at Davis.

If they work at home and could just as easily live in either area, I would move to Placerville because its cheaper. The money you aren't spending on a mortgage is money that you could be using to help save for sending the kids to college or for retirement.

If someone doesn't think Davis is better than Placerville, I see no reason to the premium to live in Davis.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
We like Davis and are still considering retiring there. We've vacationed there several times. The populace are an educated bunch, and the university is a positive influence on the community. We also enjoy the walkable downtown.
You can catch one of the Amtrak Capitol Corridor commuter trains downtown Davis if you need to go into Sacramento.

The powers-that-be in Davis have been successful in keeping their nice downtown area and keeping the big-box stores out. And the residents obviously care about their community. That's where the "uppity" part may come from, but I don't see it as that at all.

Obviously, the schools in Davis are better, as mentioned.

We stayed in Placerville once, and I thought it was mostly a tourist trap.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I would think the same thing. But for them it is 50/50. I don't want to offer an opinion b/c I know it would make up their minds. How are the schools in Placerville? I know Davis is top notch. Thanks for your post.
Sierra Elementary School is pretty highly rated, Herbert Green Middle School very highly rated, and El Dorado High School is highly rated,

Linked map (below) can be used to see objective rating of all public schools in the area:

California School Performance Maps

Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Placerwho?
A.K.A. "Hangtown" or Dry Diggings.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A.K.A. "Hangtown" or Dry Diggings.
Dry Diggings?

Don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento