Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,530,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_deathrage View Post
In general in the evening when its below about 95, generally its reasonably nice by 7pm.

But when its getting really hot like today, the high pressure system is strong enough that it prevents cool air from coming in from the bay. In this case the further you are from the bay, the warmer you are. Especially at night.

Consider three cities in the region. Fairfield, Sacramento and Granite Bay. Today its supposed to peak at 100 in Fairfield, at 103 in Sacramento and 108 in Granite Bay. But also look at how long it takes to cool down.

At 8pm in Fairfield it will be 88, in Sac 97 and 99 in Granite Bay. At 11pm it will be 70 in Fairfield, 77 in Sacramento and 83 in Granite Bay. The overnight low will be 61 in Fairfield, 64 in Sac and 71 in Granite Bay.

Hourly Weather Forecast for 38.24N 122.04W (Elev. 3 ft)

Hourly Weather Forecast for 38.58N 121.49W (Elev. 16 ft)

Hourly Weather Forecast for 38.76N 121.16W (Elev. 397 ft)
Good info... yeah, my wife just told me a few minutes ago that I'm crazy for thinking that we'll get used to 100+ temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,206,810 times
Staying inside because it's too hot is a lot easier than staying inside because of a snowstorm...and you don't have to shovel sunshine off your driveway!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,530,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Staying inside because it's too hot is a lot easier than staying inside because of a snowstorm...and you don't have to shovel sunshine off your driveway!
Having lived in a relatively mild snowy winter climate for 4 years now here in Denver, all the bad comments about snow are lost on us. The inconvenience of a snowstorm out here typically only lasts a couple days in the winter - less in the spring and fall, which is when we get most of the snow.

Having to spend a week or two inside during the summer just sounds like a downer. Winters are supposed to be dreary and wet. But not being able to enjoy all that sun because it's too hot, well, that just sounds even more depressing than not being able to enjoy it because it's 5 degrees! Having lived in the Bay Area and taken enough trips to the Sacramento area to visit family, we remember that it got damned hot out there. We're just trying to see how the heat will fit our lifestyle these days. My wife is outdoors with our daughter almost everyday out here, where it averages high 80's/low 90's in the summer. And she talks about how hot an 87 degree day is, complaining that summers out there will be unbearable. I keep telling her we'll get used to it, just like we did the cold winters out here. I know the spring and fall will be more like an extension of summer, so that should make up for the really hot days. We'll see.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by Ludachris; 06-29-2009 at 06:06 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,333,939 times
Quote:
...and you don't have to shovel sunshine off your driveway!
Did they stop making teenagers?

By the way, right now it's 102.7 and I just returned from the store.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,206,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Having lived in a relatively mild snowy winter climate for 4 years now here in Denver, all the bad comments about snow are lost on us. The inconvenience of a snowstorm out here typically only lasts a couple days in the winter - less in the spring and fall, which is when we get most of the snow.

Having to spend a week or two inside during the summer just sounds like a downer. Winters are supposed to be dreary and wet. But not being able to enjoy all that sun because it's too hot, well, that just sounds even more depressing than not being able to enjoy it because it's 5 degrees! Having lived in the Bay Area and taken enough trips to the Sacramento area to visit family, we remember that it got damned hot out there. We're just trying to see how the heat will fit our lifestyle these days. My wife is outdoors with our daughter almost everyday out here, where it averages high 80's/low 90's in the summer. And she talks about how hot an 87 degree day is, complaining that summers out there will be unbearable. I keep telling her we'll get used to it, just like we did the cold winters out here. I know the spring and fall will be more like an extension of summer, so that should make up for the really hot days. We'll see.

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm more thinking from a Chicago perspective, home of snowstorms where the snow can come up to your neck, assuming that you're standing on a chair. Never had to stay inside for a week or two, at the worst limited trips from air-conditioned place to air-conditioned place for a few days and maybe waiting until later to go out once things have cooled off. Sacramento's summer nights can be very nice indeed--the hot weather makes people want to stay out late.

I've been in Denver, albeit briefly (California Zephyr stops on the way from Chicago to Sacramento) in the summer. It is more humid in Denver than it is in Sacramento. High 80s/low 90s in Denver humidity are roughly parallel to high 90s/low 100s heat in Sacramento. And depending on where you live, things like tree cover and river proximity can make even those temperatures more bearable. If you're out at the shopping center you'll roast with all that sunshine bouncing off the pavement and such, but in a park or on a tree-lined street it's not so bad.

Besides, by the time that Sacramento gets that hot, we've been enjoying several months of sun, and enjoy several months of sun afterward, so it's not like you don't get any opportunity to bask. Winters are wet, but not particularly dreary. Depending on the year, sometimes we get these cool, clear, crisp winter days when it's nice to go outside and do active stuff to warm up but never break a sweat.

curmudgeon: No, but you can still hire the teenagers to sweep up all the dang leaves.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
curmudgeon: No, but you can still hire the teenagers to sweep up all the dang leaves.
Thanks. Memo to Self: Self, put snow blower, generator and lots of firewood on the shopping list for MO.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,124,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Thanks. Memo to Self: Self, put snow blower, generator and lots of firewood on the shopping list for MO.
Better add a lot of "Off" bug spray too.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 PM

179 posts, read 765,779 times
I'm a native from Baltimore, transplant to Sacramento in 2000 and I will take 110 degree heat in Sacto. any day over the humidity of the east coast!!!! It's really hot from 2-5 like a previous poster mentioned, but at night it's bearable. Last 4th of July it was actually chilly at night and we had to wear sweatshirts for the fireworks!! Sacto. weather is great and the 100+ days usually only last a few weeks out of the summer. Mostly it's in the 90's. Wear light clothes and buy a house with a pool!!!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 AM

590 posts, read 925,184 times
I have about 30 Sacto summers under my belt and IMO this has been one of the wierdest spring/early summers I ever remember. First we were 15 degrees under average now we're at least 15 over average. I guess that's why they call it an average. It will cool down but this last week has been kinda brutal even by Sacto standards. Today I couldn't even get out to exercise before it became too hot. And I find myself dragging tail a bit and getting tired earlier in the day. Though the brutality of the heat kinda depends on where you live. Shoved up against the foothills here in Folsom is one of the hotter area's in the county. The closer you are to the rivers the cooler it will be at night...generally. I've noticed the air being a little worse than usual, the lungs start to get tight.

We were actually considering a move to Co until we found out how god-awful the pay is out there. Seriously, what a joke. $10-$15 dollars less per hour for medical jobs and your home prices are not cheap.

I don't think you can really ever get used to the heat. Like others have said, you stay inside when it's that hot, there's just no reason to be outside. But this heat wave will be dying down this week and then we'll all have something else to complain about.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
I have about 30 Sacto summers under my belt and IMO this has been one of the wierdest spring/early summers I ever remember. First we were 15 degrees under average now we're at least 15 over average. I guess that's why they call it an average. It will cool down but this last week has been kinda brutal even by Sacto standards. Today I couldn't even get out to exercise before it became too hot. And I find myself dragging tail a bit and getting tired earlier in the day. Though the brutality of the heat kinda depends on where you live. Shoved up against the foothills here in Folsom is one of the hotter area's in the county. The closer you are to the rivers the cooler it will be at night...generally. I've noticed the air being a little worse than usual, the lungs start to get tight.

We were actually considering a move to Co until we found out how god-awful the pay is out there. Seriously, what a joke. $10-$15 dollars less per hour for medical jobs and your home prices are not cheap.

I don't think you can really ever get used to the heat. Like others have said, you stay inside when it's that hot, there's just no reason to be outside. But this heat wave will be dying down this week and then we'll all have something else to complain about.
After 19 years here I'm of the opinion that "normal" or "average" Sacramento weather is whatever the weather happens to be at the moment and it will likely change shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento