Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 82,449 times

Advertisements

Are there any parts of midtown that have more crime than normal? (auto theft, break-ins, ect...) What about 27th and D street? It seems close to the industrial park to the north. Any Problems with that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
27th and D is in the Marshall School neighborhood; nice place. You'll get some noise from the railroad tracks, and some noise from trucks on 28th Street. You're far enough from the bars on 27th and J (the "Bloc") and the Pine Cove on 28th and E that they probably won't be an issue. There is some homeless foot traffic through there, but not as much as the neighborhoods farther to the west. They have a very active neighborhood association (it's voluntary, not a "homeowner's association" like you find in gated suburbs.) The old historic school that gives the neighborhood its name used to be a "CalWorks" welfare-to-work program, but was recently reopened as a charter Montessori elementary school. Public transit is kind of limited: Bus 34 goes down F Street and is a good way to get downtown or to Sac State, the nearest light rail station is at 29th and R Street, a mile or so south. Stanford Park is a city park with a baseball diamond at 27th and C; just north of the tracks is Sutter's Landing (roughly where John Sutter landed when he first arrived here) which has a skate park, a dog park and access to the American River, including the bike trail.

Also on that stretch of land to the north of the railroad tracks is the site of Sacramento's fairly infamous "tent city" (which you may have heard about on Oprah or CNN), not in its previous location but it exists as a moving target, lots of homeless folks camp out near the river and hike west to Loaves & Fishes and other social services north of downtown. To the northwest is the old city dump, long since capped off--it produces enough methane to power the lights at the Blue Diamond plant over on 18th and C.

Generally the eastern half of the central city has less crime; the northwestern corner north of downtown (Alkali Flat, Mansion Flat) are in the roughest shape, although they have some beautiful historic buildings.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Hey wburg,

Speaking of Midtown, any idea what a really nice little 2 bedroom townhome/small house with a garage rent for in the most desirable part of that area? I'm trying to see what might be available for my mother-in-law, whose boyfriend would probably be looking for work downtown. I figured Midtown might be a nice place for them. I tried doing some searches on craigslist but don't know the area well enough.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
The Bee has an online crime mapper at:

Online feature - Crimemapper - sacbee.com

Enter the address and time period you want to check, and icons with a legend appear on the map. It will tell you how many crimes of each type occurred in the chosen period. If you click on the icons on the map, the details will pop up. A chart appears under the map with a list of the crimes, as well.

I entered 2700 D St. for the first 6 months of this year and about 40 crimes popped up within 1500 meters of the corner. I don't know how that compares to the rest of Midtown...it's got to be better than when I lived there in the 80s.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 AM

433 posts, read 1,619,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Hey wburg,

Speaking of Midtown, any idea what a really nice little 2 bedroom townhome/small house with a garage rent for in the most desirable part of that area? I'm trying to see what might be available for my mother-in-law, whose boyfriend would probably be looking for work downtown. I figured Midtown might be a nice place for them. I tried doing some searches on craigslist but don't know the area well enough.
I noticed you post in here a lot yet you live in CO, are you planning on moving here soon or something?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
I noticed you post in here a lot yet you live in CO, are you planning on moving here soon or something?
I was born and raised in the Bay Area and move out here to Denver 4 years ago with my wife. We're planning on making the move back to NorCal in a year or two to be closer to more of the family we left behind and have all but decided to try out the Roseville/Granite Bay area when we go back. So I've been doing as much research in here as I can. Since my mother-in-law followed us out to Denver, we're trying to convince here she'll like it out there too - it might be tough, as she's pretty happy here.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
LudaChris - I have my mother in law in tow too. The hard part of moving was convincing my husband that I wasn't just going to toss his mom away when we moved. So we just brough her along with...again.

To the poster - 27th and D is a GREAT spot. My friend did live in the apartments at c and 27th/28th, and it was a junky sketchy apartment, so avoid it. How yucky? They found drub syringes taped to the inside of a toilet...obvious no one checked before they moved in??

Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Hey wburg,

I don't have much information about specific rentals, but look at some of the local property management companies: Vintage Properties, Whisler Properties, Laughton Properties, Nielsen Properties. Your best bet, if you have moved out here already, is to stroll the street and look for "for rent" signs, which will give you a feel for the neighborhood, and your threshold for "best part" might be different than mine, but I'd recommend looking at E, F, G, H and I Streets between 21st and 27th.

I'd also recommend looking at the southeast corner of the central city, in Poverty Ridge/Newton Booth (between R and W, 21st and 29th.) That's generally the quietest end of the central city with a lot of older residents. The spill-over crime from Broadway has reduced a lot since Curtis Park has become so gentrified, and they get less homeless traffic due to the greater distance to the social services north of downtown.

"Townhome" rentals in Sacramento generally means a 1950s-1970s apartment building that is at a tangent to the street, normally 6-8 2-bedroom apartments with 3-4 parking spaces in back, or two such buildings facing a common courtyard. Aside from a few long-demolished examples, Sacramento's older housing stock is mostly detached but close-set row houses, kind of like you find in the East Bay.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,335 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in the Bay Area and move out here to Denver 4 years ago with my wife. We're planning on making the move back to NorCal in a year or two to be closer to more of the family we left behind and have all but decided to try out the Roseville/Granite Bay area when we go back. So I've been doing as much research in here as I can. Since my mother-in-law followed us out to Denver, we're trying to convince here she'll like it out there too - it might be tough, as she's pretty happy here.
That's cool. Your mother-in-law followed you out there? Seems strange to me. Didn't you tell her you are moving to get away from the in-laws? lol. So you won't leave Denver without your mother-in-law?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
That's cool. Your mother-in-law followed you out there? Seems strange to me. Didn't you tell her you are moving to get away from the in-laws? lol. So you won't leave Denver without your mother-in-law?
My wife is very close to her mother. Her father passed away when she was very young, which might also explain that bond. We'd like to keep her in our daughter's life for as long as possible. My family was always very disjointed and there was never really much emphasis on getting together with extended family. I'd like to have that be different for my children, which is why we're planning a move back, and why we'd like to have my mother-in-law stay near us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento