U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times

Advertisements

We bought a new house (single story) in 2007 and had the SmartVent installed during constructions. We LOVE it! It is designed to be use with the A/C system and has easily saved of hundreds of dollars annually. We leave it programmed and it automatically kicks on whenever the outside temp is greater than 3 degrees cooler than the inside temp. Runs automatically almost every evening spring and fall, late night during summer. Our home is crispy cool in the morning then when it warms outside, it shuts off. Our home stays cool until late afternoon, then me may have to run our A/C for a few hours in peak summer.
I understand the whole house fan comments about quickly cooling, but that's not what SmartVent is designed to do. We use ours with the thermostat, temp is very regulated (our choice) and it shuts off/on as needed. Benefits: "Fresh air" without having to open all the windows (our kids have asthma/allergies so we also upgraded to Allergy Gold filter - would recommend that too. A little more $ up front but it's washable! Has lasted years and easily paid for itself.), can cool home at night and/or early morning while sleeping, automatically, with windows locked. Easy to program and very inexpensive to run, best way to cool during weekend getaways too so we don't return to an "oven home" or pay for A/C while we're gone. It has been a phenomenal investment and convenience for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,846,851 times
One of the best investment I ever made as soon as I bought a house was install ceiling fan in EVERY ROOM. All bedrooms, 2 living rooms. Instead of installing a whole house fan, I just went and bought those 20" box fan. At night, I just open my window and use those box fans to suck in all the cool air at night.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM

5,093 posts, read 8,223,687 times
How much did the SmartVent cost? and how is it different than a Whole House fan?

I considered the WHF last year, but decided to wait to get an average cost of just running the AC for another year. I don't like fresh air during allergy season, so I'm a little wary.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 PM

3,716 posts, read 8,736,797 times
SmartVent works through your AC system so it brings in outside air through the filter in your system, then pumps it into the house. It's a much smaller fan so doesn't move the air through the house as quickly as WHF, but it seems more automated (no need to shut off AC and open windows, it just moves from AC to vent when the outside temp hits a certain pre-set level).

We don't really use the AC much upstairs, just wait for it to get dark and turn on our WHF so we need a pretty quick cooling method. The SmartVent wouldn't work for us in that situation, but I can see the benefits. And if you have allergies, you will keep the dust level down with the vent. We have our windows open almost all the time so we're not terribly concerned with the allergens getting into the house. And with 3 dogs, we're not terribly concerned with burglars getting in the house either...

Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM

409 posts, read 813,530 times
I agree with what some have already stated...

Whole house fan... cools faster but is louder and some windows need to be left open to draw in the cool evening air

Smart Vent...takes longer to cool the house but it's quieter, air goes through the filter so there is a reduction in dust,allergens, and no need to leave windows open.

Personally the whole house fan suits us better due to the fast cool down. If your concerned about leaving the windows open you can always use a bar or lock that fits into the window track/channel that prevent the windows from being fully opened.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
One of the best investment I ever made as soon as I bought a house was install ceiling fan in EVERY ROOM. All bedrooms, 2 living rooms. Instead of installing a whole house fan, I just went and bought those 20" box fan. At night, I just open my window and use those box fans to suck in all the cool air at night.
I agree about the ceiling fans in each room. Best combo for us has been the ceiling fans and whole house fan.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGFamily View Post
We bought a new house (single story) in 2007 and had the SmartVent installed during constructions. We LOVE it! It is designed to be use with the A/C system and has easily saved of hundreds of dollars annually. We leave it programmed and it automatically kicks on whenever the outside temp is greater than 3 degrees cooler than the inside temp. Runs automatically almost every evening spring and fall, late night during summer. Our home is crispy cool in the morning then when it warms outside, it shuts off. Our home stays cool until late afternoon, then me may have to run our A/C for a few hours in peak summer.
I understand the whole house fan comments about quickly cooling, but that's not what SmartVent is designed to do. We use ours with the thermostat, temp is very regulated (our choice) and it shuts off/on as needed. Benefits: "Fresh air" without having to open all the windows (our kids have asthma/allergies so we also upgraded to Allergy Gold filter - would recommend that too. A little more $ up front but it's washable! Has lasted years and easily paid for itself.), can cool home at night and/or early morning while sleeping, automatically, with windows locked. Easy to program and very inexpensive to run, best way to cool during weekend getaways too so we don't return to an "oven home" or pay for A/C while we're gone. It has been a phenomenal investment and convenience for our family.
IMHO single story homes are the way to go in hot areas. I've owned two story homes and currently have a single story...more comfortable in the single story and more energy savings

Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM

3,716 posts, read 8,736,797 times
I hear you on the single story. Our downstairs is always cool, we only use AC a couple weeks in summer. Upstairs gets HOT but we don't use those rooms during the day so it's OK. Still need to use AC a couple weeks in summer when it doesn't cool off enough outside to use WHF.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,364 times
Smart Vent can never produce the amount of air that a whole house fan can deliver. I've been a home energy consultant for over 5 years and you need 2 cfm per Sq ft of home. A 2000 Sq ft home needs 4000 cubic feet per minute to be classified as a whole house fan coolling ventilation, as definedby the CEC. Quiet cool house fans are the best, high efficiency with superior noise canceling and high cfm delivery. Stealth models are the best on the market today.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM

289 posts, read 464,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energuy View Post
Smart Vent can never produce the amount of air that a whole house fan can deliver. I've been a home energy consultant for over 5 years and you need 2 cfm per Sq ft of home. A 2000 Sq ft home needs 4000 cubic feet per minute to be classified as a whole house fan coolling ventilation, as definedby the CEC. Quiet cool house fans are the best, high efficiency with superior noise canceling and high cfm delivery. Stealth models are the best on the market today.
You bring up something that I've been wondering about. There is the traditional whole house fan and the quiet cool whole house fan system. I'm tending to prefer the quiet cool because I have a smaller single story home. I think a regular whole house fan would be too loud. Anybody have any opinions regarding a standard whole house fan versus a quiet cool whole house fan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento