Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM

251 posts, read 823,454 times

Advertisements

As per our background we're half Jewish (before Canada we lived 10 years in Israel) and half Russian Ortodox, however, I can say we're atheist (we celebrate Xmas with Xmas tree, Hannukah and so on).
We're thinking of relocating to Sac area and wouldn't like to live in strictly church-oriented or synagogue-oriented area, so we won't feel kind of outcasted (even though it's nice to live close to reform sinagogue).

we were thinking of moving to one of the towns below:
1. Roseville
2. El dorado hills
3. Folsom
4. Granite bay

which of them you'd consider less religious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM

433 posts, read 1,613,749 times
Those are all nice areas. Sacramento is very diverse in terms of race and religion and nobody is going to hassle you about religion. You might get the occasional Mormon/ JW that goes door to door but thats about it.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,237,252 times
There isn't anywhere in Sacramento that pushes religion as this is a very secular region. No bible thumpers here.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,512,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
There isn't anywhere in Sacramento that pushes religion as this is a very secular region. No bible thumpers here.
Agreed. In the south you have to go to a church or never be served in restaurants or sold groceries.

In CA we heathens are accepted. Part of our charm!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 PM

433 posts, read 1,613,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Agreed. In the south you have to go to a church or never be served in restaurants or sold groceries.
Not true, sure some areas in the South are more religious than what Californians are used to but don't be ridiculous.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 PM

251 posts, read 823,454 times
I didn't think that out atheism may cause issues at all, until I read topic on this forum about church-oriented Granite Bay and this place is on out top list as they have the best High school in the region

Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM

132 posts, read 425,311 times
I really don't think religion plays a major contender anywhere out west. You have churches and everything just like everywhere else.. but I'm not remotely religious and nobody hustles me on the street to see the light.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,117,608 times
I agree with the other posters, it isn't an issue in metro Sacramento.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,882,867 times
You might want to search the archives for stuff about jewish life in the region. I am not sure how established the Jewish community is in Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay or Folsom. While you can find synagogues in the region, Jewish life is probably going to be centered more around, Land Park, Sac State, and Davis. The universities and long historic ties have tended to draw the practicing jews in the region to those areas. So while you can find jewish life in the region, you might have problems finding it in the communities you mentioned.

Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay and Folsom are all regions that have seen most of their growth in the past 10 to 20 years. It takes a while to build up enough jews in an area to support a synagogue and jews aren't big on prosthetization for converts, so new areas often don't have much jewish infrastructure. I think that is the problem you are going to face in those neighborhoods.

While there is an Orthodox community in the region, it is mostly Greek Orthodox and again that is centered McKinley Park and in in Laguna West.

There is a suprising large Russian/Slavic community in the region, (probably in excess of 100k people) but this group is very evangelical and had fled religious persecution in the former soviet union.

In Rancho Cordova, Antelope, West Sac and Citrus Heights, you can find lots of stores and restaurants catering to Russian religious immigrants. But this immigrant group is a very tight nit, highly devout religious community.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM

132 posts, read 425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x15 View Post
You might want to search the archives for stuff about jewish life in the region. I am not sure how established the Jewish community is in Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay or Folsom. While you can find synagogues in the region, Jewish life is probably going to be centered more around, Land Park, Sac State, and Davis. The universities and long historic ties have tended to draw the practicing jews in the region to those areas. So while you can find jewish life in the region, you might have problems finding it in the communities you mentioned.

Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay and Folsom are all regions that have seen most of their growth in the past 10 to 20 years. It takes a while to build up enough jews in an area to support a synagogue and jews aren't big on prosthetization for converts, so new areas often don't have much jewish infrastructure. I think that is the problem you are going to face in those neighborhoods.

While there is an Orthodox community in the region, it is mostly Greek Orthodox and again that is centered McKinley Park and in in Laguna West.

There is a suprising large Russian/Slavic community in the region, (probably in excess of 100k people) but this group is very evangelical and had fled religious persecution in the former soviet union.

In Rancho Cordova, Antelope, West Sac and Citrus Heights, you can find lots of stores and restaurants catering to Russian religious immigrants. But this immigrant group is a very tight nit, highly devout religious community.
Did you even read his first post?

The guy doesn't want problems for being an atheist.. he's not looking for Jewish/Russian Orthodox neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento