Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:42 PM

251 posts, read 825,604 times

Advertisements

Could you please give more precise numbers? If in the late evening drive from Rocklin to Folsom took me 30 min, how long it will take in rush hours? 45min, 60 min, 1 h30min?

Is driving from Granite Bay area much faster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Yes, we were thinking about commuting.... generally (without traffic) it's 30 min, when we will be close to buying house , we have to check commute time in ruch hours.
P.S. As per ed-data.org schools in Rocklin are better than in Gold River/Fair Oaks.
Gold River is one zipcode that is split in half, with 1/2 in the San Juan School District (a newer neighborhood) and 1/2 in the Rancho Cordova portion of the Folsom Cordova School District (and older more middle class neighborhood).

The portion between Sunrise and Hazel is the nicer portion of Gold River and its quite nice.

http://www.sanjuan.edu/files/filesystem/documents/GoldRiverElem.pdf (broken link)

http://www.sanjuan.edu/files/filesystem/documents/BarrettMiddle.pdf (broken link)

http://www.sanjuan.edu/files/filesystem/documents/RioAmericanoHS.pdf (broken link)

Now compare the test scores

2008 Base API School Report - Gold River Discovery Center

2008 Base API School Report - John Barrett Middle

2008 Base API School Report - Rio Americano High

With schools in Rocklin here.

2008 Base API County List of Schools - PLACER County

But then read a little further. Rio Americano does a better job of sending people to college and does a better job sending them to for year colleges.

Compare the schools in this database.

See which high schools send the most students to college - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

and see this study by UC Davis here.

http://www.sariweb.ucdavis.edu/downl...ch-Report4.pdf

In short, I don't think you would be holding your kid back by sending him to Rio and you might be increasing your kids chances of going to college by sending him to Rio.

In Gold River, your kid would be in the school attendence zone for Rio Americano, so the district would be responsible for getting him to Rio Americano from Gold River. But in terms of your commute its a pretty direct trip from Gold River to Folsom. Depending on where you will work in Folsom, you might even be able to catch light rail to work from Gold River or just ride your bike.

http://www.folsom.ca.us/civica/fileb...ID=11618#page=

Jedediah Smith Memorial Trail - Google Maps

In Rocklin, you have to get across the bridge and river to get to work during rush hour. Traffic can be a pain.

But in Gold River, you will live near the River, near the bike trails and possibly in walking distance to the CSUS aquatic center.

ASI Aquatic Center

Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Could you please give more precise numbers? If in the late evening drive from Rocklin to Folsom took me 30 min, how long it will take in rush hours? 45min, 60 min, 1 h30min?

Is driving from Granite Bay area much faster?
Most of Rocklin is north of 80 and north of the railroad tracks. Both 80 and the railroad tracks act as large traffic barriers, because most side streets don't cross 80 or the rail tracks, so traffic gets concentrated onto thoroughfares like Sierra College Blvd. At Rush hour you can expect bumper to bumper traffic on these roads in that location.

Granite Bay is better than Rocklin because Granite Bay is south of 80 and South of the railroad tracks.

But you still have the problem with getting across the River. The throughfares here have a lot of people trying to get to and from 50, so again they back up.

I am not really sure what you gain by buying in Rocklin or Granite Bay when your budget is under 400k and you work in Folsom. In this situation, you probably would do much better looking at either Folsom or Gold River itself. Your commute would be much shorter with much better commute options like light rail or just riding your bike.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_deathrage View Post
I am not really sure what you gain by buying in Rocklin or Granite Bay when your budget is under 400k and you work in Folsom. In this situation, you probably would do much better looking at either Folsom or Gold River itself. Your commute would be much shorter with much better commute options like light rail or just riding your bike.
Probably you have a point, however our budget more than 400k (in case we would take mortgage). Another thing, I simply didn't find house in Gold River that match our paramentrs (4bd, 2400 + sq ft, 0.2 + acr, less than 10 y.o.). And lastly, somebody from our family almost every day will be going to Roseville skating rink....

Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
To be centrally located to the rink and the job, Granite Bay would be perfect. North of the American river, and south of I-80.

Ever checked out American River Canyon subdivision? It's Folsom, but en-route to the rink and the job.

The time quote is hard, because just a few miles difference can make 15 minutes difference depending on exactly where in Rocklin etc. I used to drive from RSVL to El Dorado Hills, non-rush hour- and would allow 1 hour, sometimes that would cut it close, while sometimes the drive was shy of 30 minutes. There didn't seem to be any pattern to the difference in time, except for that Sunday was always green light go the whole way- short and sweet!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
To be centrally located to the rink and the job, Granite Bay would be perfect. North of the American river, and south of I-80.
Ever checked out American River Canyon subdivision? It's Folsom, but en-route to the rink and the job.
Granite Bay (and part of Roseville that belong to Granite Bay High) is our 1st choice, the problem is that selction of houses over there is pretty limited.

Could you pls specify street borders of American River Canyon subdivision?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
Oak Avenue, American River Dr, Canyon Falls Dr, are reference points to that neighborhood. Great location. The neighborhood is nice, very very nice, even the older section. Lots of old growth maple trees line the major road up the hill to the area- there are 2 sections I believe. There is Canyon Falls and American River Canyon that comes to mind. Might be too expensive, although I know there have been some crazy deals on some of the older (but big and beautiful!) homes up there so maybe the newer ones could be in or close to your range.

This Oak Avenue Parkway connects with some backroads over to Roseville- Santa Juanita I think? passing lots of beautiful "country" lots and beautiful homes.

Anyway, good luck with your house hunt. I'm sure it's not easy to find something that meets all the needs. If stoplights don't bother you too much, then you will be happy wherever you end up anyway. If you do end up in Rsvl/Rocklin, Roseville Parkway and Sierra College Blvd move along better than Douglas (generally) if that helps at all. And staying south of 80 will make quite a difference I think. More time to play hockey and swim.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,970 times
here is a picture of american river canyon north

and here's a picture of how it relates to the 80-50 corridor as you can see it is well positioned for anyone needing to go back and forth to say perhaps rocklin and folsom. I use oak avenue and barton road extensively for this route.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
The time quote is hard, because just a few miles difference can make 15 minutes difference depending on exactly where in Rocklin etc.
for example from new subdivision on Kali St to Folsom High.

All guys, thanks a lot for your posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento