U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 02:17 PM

8,416 posts, read 15,398,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
Talking as someone who lived and worked in Denver and Boulder, I never really liked it there. I did, however, love exploring the Rocky mountains and living near Breckenridge.

I've been checking out the Roseville, CA area online today, and what has me very interested in Roseville is all the public transportation. From Granite Bay, it looks like you are only 5 miles from the Amtrak park-n-ride station in Roseville. That can take you to the Bay area or anywhere inbetween. Denver doesn't have anything like that, although I've read that they are planning to put in some rail transit. What kid doesn't love to ride the train?

So, is Amtrak the "rail station" where all the people with broken dreams hang out? Hopefully not!

Speaking as a Mom, if the kids get the idea that the move to CA won't be fun or on the par with CO, they will hate it no matter how many activities it provides.
Eh? Roseville's public transit is limited to a few Capitol Corridor runs per day (most runs start in Sacramento, not Roseville) and the once per day California Zephyr, and the train station is pretty dinky compared to those found in Sacramento and Denver. They do not have light rail, and Roseville's local public transit is limited to mini-buses on a few routes and a limited number of commuter buses to Sacramento on the weekdays.

By contrast, Denver has a large train station that is the hub for light rail lines, local bus service and Amtrak long-distance passenger rail. Are you sure you aren't looking at the Sacramento train station? It, like Denver, is a light rail, local bus and commuter rail hub. (It is also two blocks from the California State Railroad Museum, pretty much the finest railroad museum in the country.)

I grew up down the street from Roseville, and personally I kind of miss the days when it was more of a funky country town--the Guns & Liquor store on Vernon, super cheap Mexican eats, and Denio's Farmer's Market and Auction back when it was an island of commerce in the middle of open fields next to the railroad tracks--today it still calls back to Roseville's existence as a railroad town, but is completely surrounded by suburban development.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,215,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
Talking as someone who lived and worked in Denver and Boulder, I never really liked it there. I did, however, love exploring the Rocky mountains and living near Breckenridge.

I've been checking out the Roseville, CA area online today, and what has me very interested in Roseville is all the public transportation. From Granite Bay, it looks like you are only 5 miles from the Amtrak park-n-ride station in Roseville. That can take you to the Bay area or anywhere inbetween. Denver doesn't have anything like that, although I've read that they are planning to put in some rail transit. What kid doesn't love to ride the train?

So, is Amtrak the "rail station" where all the people with broken dreams hang out? Hopefully not!

Speaking as a Mom, if the kids get the idea that the move to CA won't be fun or on the par with CO, they will hate it no matter how many activities it provides.
I think you'll find that Denver's transportation infrastructure is at least as good as Sacramento's, if not better. I know the light rail system here runs quite a bit more trains than those serving the Sacramento suburbs (or should I say the one that runs to Folsom - there isn't a light rail route serving Roseville). And though there isn't something out here comparable to the Amtrak train in Sacramento that runs to the Bay Area, there are shuttles you can take to the mountains. The rail system out here mainly connects suburbs to downtown and it's expanding - a major leg serving the south metro (about 15-20 miles south of Denver) opened up about 4 years ago and is used heavily. People use the light rail out here mainly for work and going downtown for sporting events and nightlife. I think the rail system between Folsom and Sacramento is pretty much only used for those working downtown. I don't think it's used much on the weekends or for nightlife from what I've read, but I may be wrong.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM

8,416 posts, read 15,398,350 times
Light Rail doesn't go to Roseville because Roseville refuses to spend a penny to make it happen--they're willing to do it if Sacramento pays for the whole thing, but not if they have to contribute to the cost. So there are a couple of Amtrak Capitol Corridor trains that run from Auburn and Roseville to the Bay Area each day, and several Amtrak buses that run to Sacramento so those in Auburn/Roseville can transfer to the Capitol Corridor there.

Light rail is pretty much useless for nightlife, due to budget cuts the last trains depart at 9:00 PM. It is even less useful from Folsom, as the last trains depart to/from Folsom at 7:00 PM (from 7-9 they stop at Sunrise.) People don't use light rail for sporting event, other than the occasional marathon or bike race that goes through downtown Sacramento, and light rail does not go to Arco Arena either (It was supposed to--long story.)

Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,500 times
Light rail is pretty much frickin useless for most people out side of downtown Sacto.
Roseville may have had some ruff places before but at least it was a real town not a police inforced movie set geared for a Disney like sitcom.
It's much like painting a garbage truck to look like a Nascar,It's still a garbage truck....

Old 04-22-2011, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
Search sac4kids.com.

It has great links to fun activities for kids in the Sacramento area. There are LOTS of things to do!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,041 times
We have been to the Jelly Belly Factory twice and loved it! B/C we just moved from Colorado, my young one isn't even wearing her jacket and is still wanting to wear her sandals. We have been doing a lot of Bike riding....I love seeing all the beautiful flowers and trees....Can you believe the roses right now? We have really been appreciating all the growing things especially when you think about what month it is!!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 797 times
Check out Freeflow Academy [url=http://freeflowacademy.com/]Sacramento Rocklin Lincoln CA Parkour, Freerunning, Martial Arts, Dance, Acting, Film & Theater Hybrid Arts Center Free Flow Academy - Ninja Village - Northern Californias First Parkour Gym[/url]. We offer Parkour, Freerunning, Tricking, Martial Arts, Dance, and Kettlebells. Its a fun time for the whole family to learn new skills
Here is our gym video.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqGFieiG-RU]Free Flow Academy - World's First Superhero Gym - YouTube[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento