Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,527,279 times

Advertisements

My wife has been finding a lot of feedback about there not being very many activities for stay-at-home moms with younger kids in the Roseville/Granite Bay area, which is a big concern. You always hear that the area is a great place to raise kids, but that there isn't necessarily a whole lot to do for younger kids... which is obviously a little confusing.

Out here in the south Denver metro area, we know we're in a great area to raise kids because there are so many free/cheap activities for families with children all the time. A few different parks with man-made and natural creeks, water features, and playgrounds that get plenty of use, a couple local recreation centers that offer several low cost activities like swimming and ballet lessons (something like $35 for 8-10 lessons), a few different local moms groups that get together a few times per week for even more kid's activities and exercise, and we also have countless trails and open space to enjoy the outdoors. It seems like there's always some event being put on by some organization every week. And if there isn't enough going on locally (within 5 miles) there's always the zoo, aquarium, museums, water parks, and countless other activities 15-20 miles away in the downtown area. My wife is out and about with our daughter 4 days per week on average taking advantage of all these activities.

One of the ladies in her moms group moved out to Roseville recently and she's mentioned that there isn't nearly the same abundance of activities for kids out there as compared to here. Fewer local attractions, not as many moms groups, more daycare kids, etc. Any other parents noticed this? Are all the activities mostly located in Sacramento? Do you have to leave the Roseville area regularly during the week if you're an active stay-at-home mom/dad? Again, we know we are in a great area that is probably tough to beat in this regard, but we'd like to get a better idea of how much of a drop off to expect so that we can weigh that in our planning.

Can anyone give us an idea of things they do during the week (during the day) with their kids, along with some of the costs? How active are the moms groups out there? My wife enjoys Stroller Strides out here and found a Roseville regional group - is it very active?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:31 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,527,279 times
Any stay-at-home parents out there who can compare the Roseville area with other regions?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 38,780 times
You really should skip Roseville and Granite Bay and look at Citrus Heights instead. Its where all of the street poets, musicians, artists and hipsters live. There is just a ton of stuff for people from all walks of life who have moved to the Heights. Its has all of the trendy boutiques. Its a totally cool funky happening neighborhood. I really don't understand why anyone would want to live anywhere else.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM

9 posts, read 39,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles strickland View Post
You really should skip Roseville and Granite Bay and look at Citrus Heights instead. Its where all of the street poets, musicians, artists and hipsters live. There is just a ton of stuff for people from all walks of life who have moved to the Heights. Its has all of the trendy boutiques. Its a totally cool funky happening neighborhood. I really don't understand why anyone would want to live anywhere else.

There has to be plenty to do in Roseville. I am a single male age 26, but I can spot plenty of things for kids to do. There are some trails in West Roseville and bike routes throughout Roseville. There is the newer Woodcreek sports complex with the Dog Park, Little league fields, the soccer/football field with turf, the climbing wall in the gym, the aquatics center next door. Also check out the parks and rec guide for teams and field trips/activities.

Other than that there is the Sunsplash water park with mini golf, go karts and arcade. I know the Fountains has a water feature. I hear from my coworkers that the mall has a great play place for young kids. I know Dave and Busters is coming in at the fountains soon. There are the Tuesday Summer nights in downtown Roseville. I am sure I am missing a lot since I am not a parent.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 AM

914 posts, read 2,899,788 times
If you like Colorado, why are you moving to Roseville? If I didn't have to live in California, I'd be long gone. Why anyone would want to move to this dysfunctional state is beyond me. Don't you know we have big problems here? Looking for a mom's stroller group will be the least of your worries, especially when they start the early prisoner release program, and Chester the Molester moves into your neighborhood!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 AM

36 posts, read 169,995 times
Let me see if I can help.
First, it's true that there aren't a LOT of things to do. I grew up in DC so I am comparing the place to somewhere where everything is convenient, educational, fun and free.
We mainly do things outdoors. The zoo is okay.. just has a lot of birds. There's fairytale land across from the zoo and it's like 6 or 7 parks connected with little mazes, water features, ice cream stands, etc. I have kids and it's hard to find things to do that compare with what I am used to. The moms groups are a good idea. Roseville is nice, and it's not like it's 30 mins to Citrus Heights or anything, it's 10mins down the street, with traffic. There are good and bad things about every area, just work with what you have.
We usually wait until the weekend and do outdoorsy stuff with the kids. Hiking, fishing, swimming,etc. If you live in Granite Bay, by gosh take advantage of having the Lake right down the street.
During the week there's a lot of parks, the mall is okay (I generally try to stay away from malls). It also depends on the age of the kids? For toddlers there's a lot more, imo. You can take them to Funtastic (sp?) or to the kids tumble gym (still haven't gone there). Mainly we do play dates.

It's a great place for kids mainly because it's safe and quiet and homey feeling. There's a trade off wherever you live. Even though there was more to do in DC, I still would rather not raise my kids there today. Roseville probably doesn't have as much to do as Denver area but it's still a nice area. Things don't always have to be planned, either. Take your kids to the grocery store and maybe they'll ask why the vegetables are getting a shower, or go for bike rides on the paved trails, or look through all the little nature preserve areas to see if you can find butterflies. There are movies in the park, and music in the park activities,too. These are mainly done by neighborhoods but usually open to anyone.
Sometimes there are plays specifically for kids, or 1$ movie days in Roseville, or the library will host some kids thing. You do have to look more, but there are things here.
HTH.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 17,186,497 times
Roseville is a suburb of about 100,000 people, and part of the Sacramento metropolitan area, which is about 2.5 million people. Granite Bay is a residential neighborhood of about 20,000 people next to Roseville--a suburb of a suburb. A bedroom community. There are plenty of things to do within that metropolitan area, which is about the same size as the Denver metropolitan area, but many of them will involve going to Sacramento or Folsom or other nearby cities.

So yes, you're going to have to look outside the confines of Granite Bay and Roseville. All you have to do is do EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO IN DENVER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris
And if there isn't enough going on locally (within 5 miles) there's always the zoo, aquarium, museums, water parks, and countless other activities 15-20 miles away in the downtown area.
Within 15-20 miles you have the zoo, Fairytale Town, Old Sacramento, Sutter's Fort and other museums, and all sorts of activities in Sacramento, both downtown and in the nearby neighborhoods. In other directions you have several water parks and recreation options, events at Cal Expo (state fair, county fair and other assorted events throughout the year), Folsom Lake and the American River, and assorted hiking, biking and touristy Gold Rush type things to do in the communities to the east and northeast, and even more within 20-40 miles.

You're moving to a quiet residential suburb. Quiet residential suburbs are generally not known for having abundant things to do within walking distance. For that, you generally have to move to a city, with all the other things that typically go along with moving to cities. Or, you can live in a suburb and drive to things.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,881,147 times
You might look at Folsom, it has its own zoo, a city ran aquatic park, the CSUS aquatic center.

Folsom Website - Aquatic Center (http://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/parks_n_recreation/aquatic.asp - broken link)
Folsom Website - Zoo Sanctuary (http://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/parks_n_recreation/zoo.asp - broken link)
ASI Aquatic Center

There is also a water park minature golf place in Roseville.

http://www.golfland.com/

For biking and trails in the area look here for Roseville and Folsom

http://www.roseville.ca.us/civica/fi...sp?BlobID=2408

Folsom Bike Trails Map - MyFolsom.Com (http://www.myfolsom.com/map_biketrails.shtml - broken link)
Trails Map of Folsom Lake - MyFolsom.Com (http://www.myfolsom.com/map_folsomlake_trails.shtml - broken link)

Remember the area around Lake Natomas and Folsom Lake are part of a huge state park. Where you can water ski, sail, swim and fish.

Folsom Lake SRA

For moms groups in Granite Bay the largest one that I am aware of is ran by Bayside Church in Granite Bay. But if you don't feel comfortable around a religiously orientated group, check out the meet up groups for alternatives in the area.

Bayside Church – Granite Bay, Ca
Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com

Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM

375 posts, read 1,719,040 times
I have raised 2 kids in Granite Bay. There are 100s of other kids that have been raised here. It's one of the best areas to raise kids.

Here are some things they did growing up.
When they were small we took them almost every day to different parks in GB or Roseville.
Zoo in Folsom.
Swimming lessons at Johnson ranch. Swimming lessons in Loomis.
(Johnson Ranch is a health club. Also has tennis lessons).
Swimming/fishing/boating at Folsom Lake (Only a block from us).
Library holds story time (also large book stores)
Music & Art Lessons at Children's Creative Arts Center
Tricks Gymnastics and Polka Dots Dance Studio
Horse riding lessons.
Soccer
Baseball
Tennis
Riding Bikes
Indoor playgrounds from bounce houses to climbing centers.
John’s incredible pizza company
Golfland SunSplash
Magic Circle Repertory Theatre
Antique Trove
two hours of both the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra Mountain Range.
Denio's Farmers Market
Movie Theatres
Mall Galleria at Roseville
Camping
Gold Panning
Gold Mines & Caverns
Trips to Old Sacramento - Train Museum is their fav.
Other Museums in Sacramento
Rivercats Baseball Games
Maidu Interpretive Center in Roseville (close to GB) has a wonderful park and Indian Museum
The fairgrounds in Roseville always has activities.
Apple Hill (by Placerville) in the fall.
Old fashion holiday festivals in Grass Valley or Nevada City.
Six Flags & Marine World in the Bay Area.
San Francisco
Nimbus Fish Hatchery
Jelly Belly factory.

If you are active w/church then you will love Bayside. Lots
of activities for children & families.

Great Book
Fun Places to Go With Children in Northern California

Old 09-02-2009, 12:11 AM

599 posts, read 1,645,919 times
I use to live in Denver and Fort Collins and loved it!!! Are you defintely moving to CA? My advice is stay in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento