Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 PM

33 posts, read 117,552 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Sacramento from the north bay area and have been driving around the area a lot. I have seen that there are some areas that have small lakes in the neighborhoods, for example, Greenhaven Lake in the pocket area. I like the idea of living in a place where I would have access to this and am curious if anyone can tell me more about these lakes and what they are used for...

do people swim in the lakes?
are there fish, can you fish in the lakes?
I saw some small, non-power boats so I am assuming this is all that is allowed on these small lakes.
also what is the water like? clean?, bottom substance (sand? dirt?) I am guessing they are man-made lakes?

any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
Not a real lake - it's a man made "mini lake" built for the community to feel prestigous and fancy

Folsom Lake is a real lake

Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 PM

do people swim in the small lakes.. just wondering since I like to swim and it might be cool to swim there as opposed to a pool but unless other people do it it would seem kind of weird.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:06 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
Folsom Lake is just a very big man-made lake; it was the American River until the dam was built (first a small dam for hydroelectric power in the 1890s, then a major dam for power and reservoir in the 1950s.) Greenhaven Lake was a clay pit; there used to be a brickyard in the Pocket area, back when the Pocket was still farmland, and the Lake was the gigantic hole left after decades of digging out clay to make into bricks. I think most of the lake backs up onto backyards, so it is mostly private use. There are a couple of deliberately-manmade fake lakes, like the one in Laguna West. One of the more interesting manmade lakes is the one next to the old decommissioned Rancho Seco nuclear powerplant--originally intended to cool the plant, it is now used as a recreation area (the nuclear plant is now a solar and natural gas facility.)

There are some nice places to swim, boat and raft along the American River, and where the American meets the Sacramento. Boating is a pretty popular activity along the Sacramento and down into the Delta.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM

I looked at the water temps for the american river.. even this time of year looks like its around 60 degrees which is pretty cold to swim in for more than a few minutes.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,629 times
You might want to be careful about swimming in the rivers in this area. There are a lot of under currents that can cause even fairly strong swimmers to drown. Its an especially big problem where the American and Sacramento Rivers meet. In this area is a much better idea to your swimming in the lakes and pools and swim in the river only with a life jacket.

Regularly you have quite a few drownings every year because of the currents.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
rdane: I'm told it is pretty refreshing on a 105 degree day.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM

138 posts, read 510,702 times
A relative lives on the fake lake in the greenhaven neighborhood and I live around the corner from the one in the pocket area.No one swims in these. They will ride their little paddle boats or fish from the docks.The ducks are the only swimmers in these bodies of water.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 AM

119 posts, read 285,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilover70 View Post
A relative lives on the fake lake in the greenhaven neighborhood and I live around the corner from the one in the pocket area.No one swims in these. They will ride their little paddle boats or fish from the docks.The ducks are the only swimmers in these bodies of water.
There are a few lake communities in Elk grove as well on the west side
near I5.

No one swims in them, they are just for astetic purposes. Many homes back onto
these lakes and have private docks for their boats.

Many HOA also stock the lakes with fish as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM

109 posts, read 377,652 times
The American River is fed by water released from the bottom of Folsom, so the river tends to be much cooler than the Lake.

Right now .the water temperature in the river is in the high 60's and the water temperature in the lake is 77 F. For swimming, I prefer going to Folsom because the warmer water just makes it more pleasant. For water skiing, I tend to prefer the smoother water along the Sacramento River in the Delta.

Water Quality Information

Folsom Lake, California Fishing Report - fishingnotes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento