Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 10,676 times

Advertisements

Ummmmm, Anon Resident...I think your problems don't stem from the building, but rather schizophrenia. Also, CityX, we've debated this matter before, but I find it highly unfair that you would accuse management of being corrupt for charging you a transfer fee. If you look at other apartment complexes and how they're managed, you'll find that most landlords charge transfer fees because when people transfer units it creates an unnecessary expense for the landlord. There's nothing illegal about it, and quite frankly, you just sound resentful! Pardon my tone, but I suppose I'm a little exasperated from reading these false exaggerations about my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Also, Anon Resident....I couldn't help but notice that you never indicated whether or not you mentioned these "devil camp/noise" concerns to management? If so, what was their response?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,452 times
How can you say that ongoing harassment from a resident or group of residents in my case is NOT illegal? If I am fearful of entering and staying in my own home then somethings wrong and I'm just confused as to why you would respond with such a shrugged shoulders type of comment.

How does one become a moderator as your profile suggests? Can anyone become a moderator on this site?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:09 PM

I'm not mentally ill and thanks for the cheap shot -- seems like an upstanding person who thought that I was mentally unstable from reading my post...would refrain on sharing such- if you are wrong it would definitely be quite a rude comment. How do you know that I'm not dealing with even an isolated set of circumstances? What if you're not affected by it because you live in another wing?

You should get a job working for GML as you're a perfect fit. In fact, how funny if you were already an employee of the Lofts. Would seem to make more sense after reading your 5 posts on this site. Seems you know an awful lot about tenant/landlord policy.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon_Globe_Mills_Resident View Post
How can you say that ongoing harassment from a resident or group of residents in my case is NOT illegal? If I am fearful of entering and staying in my own home then somethings wrong and I'm just confused as to why you would respond with such a shrugged shoulders type of comment.

How does one become a moderator as your profile suggests? Can anyone become a moderator on this site?

What I stated is that I didn't see anything in your concerns that appeared to be a specific illegal act. Folks can be fearful for many reasons, but that doesn't assure that an illegal activity is taking place. If someone is specifically threatening you or violating a specific ordinance, that certainly wasn't clear in what you wrote.

Yes, anyone can be selected as moderator...that is a decision made by the site owners.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Previous Experience

Anon Globe Mills Resident--I apologize if my mental illness comment seemed like a cheap shot. However, I did detect some majorly unfounded paranoia in your initial post.

"You should get a job working for GML as you're a perfect fit. In fact, how funny if you were already an employee of the Lofts. Would seem to make more sense after reading your 5 posts on this site. Seems you know an awful lot about tenant/landlord policy."

I'm not employed for GML, but I do have previous experience in property management. That's why I'm knowledgeable about tenant/landlord policy. I worked for Nielsen properties for 5 years. Also, I've lived at this property for two years, so I'm definitely familiar with it. The reason I'm so avid on this site is due to the fact that I feel many of the posts here do not accurately or honestly represent the climate at Globe Mills. As a long term resident, it really offends me to read this GROSSLY exaggerated nonsense about my home. The best way to garner what Globe has to offer is to physically visit the property, have a q&a with current residents (face-to-face), and explore the surrounding area on your own. The problem with forums like this is that people hide behind the cloak of anonymity; posters here are not held accountable for the validity of their statements.

Also, you never answered my original question. Did you ever present your concerns to management? If so, what was their response? Every time I've ever needed anything pertaining to my apartment, the girls and the maintenance staff have been very proactive about responding to it.

Last edited by Alana85; 08-12-2011 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction

Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Alana85:

Well it didn't "seem like a cheap shot" --- you called me
schizophrenic --- period. Cheap enough, wouldn't you say?!

But that's okay, if roles were reversed I may have been more apt to stand up for my home as well. I wish I was on the other side of this thing.... be thankful you're not dealing with this game. It ruined my experience entirely. Also, my posting was very much full of fear and anxiety. Two things that obviously will affect ones ability to communicate. I'm not at all unstable mentally - well, not unless I'm being screwed with aggressively the way I had been that week. I apologize for not thinking through my thoughts prior to typing it all out -I could have managed to keep things clear and calm. I was hoping to find someone who could help.

I moved into the lofts excited and so happy to be there. It totally breaks my heart that my experience couldn't have been as positive as yours Alana85. That's I think what has bugged me the most about the whole situation. I'm really floored that I'm not only going to be a victim of some game playing ******* who couldn't find a life so he had to play with mine. But I'm also going to be forced to waive goodbye to what I had hoped would be a long term home for me, and the finances that I had to work hard for to even see myself move into the lofts - it's all gone most likely and so I guess I just feel depressed and hopeless a bit. I shouldn't have been treated this way, and yet here I am.

I have not dealt with management at globe mills yet, and the only reason is that I felt so pushed past the point of feeling safe that I ended up calling the police a few hours after I wrote me initial post from yet another event occurred. Its not that I don't plan to notify the management of whats taken place, it's mainly that before doing so (since I won't continue living there) I had to make sure I had done all possible to facilitate things through my attorneys who have done an excellent job at facilitating the next step in the process.

For what it's worth, I wish you well and thank you for your responses.

Anon-G-M-Resident

Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 77,506 times
Default I believe you

So many people before you had the same excitement and dreams of living in an upscale redevelopment such as Globe Mills, only to find the same scary, unhappy, mismanaged experience.

I am one of many who left broken hearted and with less money.

This may be long but please try to stay with me because I am sharing GM history with you, as well as reasoning and drawing conclusions:

1. The problem with noise could be rats.

Reason: The sheet metal chutes that connect the top floor with the garbage bins on the bottom floor may not have been cleaned recently or not at all.

History: During the first few months, after buildings were filled, one key manager had "meetings" in the tv room on the 6th floor of MB2. In addition to screaming the rules, about every other word was F___' this and F____' that. I was stunned.

One of her comments was that the tenants better wrap their F____ garbage before putting in the chutes because she wasn't going to clean up the F____' messes (that's 5 floors of messes in MB 1 & 2 + lofts).

So what did that mean? Did the chutes ever get clean from residue left by open garbage? Did the rats get into the vents and open spaces in the walls?

You are right not to trust management.

History: They let the violence, drug use and sales of drugs and lack of security go on for at least 2 years before they acted. They illegally took $50. for my carpet cleaning, even though my carpet was spotless and the state tenant law forbids it.

There is and was expensive turn over, there was no extra money for security and a lot of other necessary fixes.

I would set a rat trap in the kitchen and near one of the holes in your wall. I would take a photo. I would leave the rat in the trap and immediately call the County (SAC) Health Department and tell them, I just caught a rat. Can you please come over immediately, I am afraid of a disease from it.

If they don't respond, call the Sac Bee. They exposed Globe Mills on the front page and they could follow up with another story, since the first one didn't seen to solve many problems.

2. Don't disregard the idea that drugs could be moving through the building through the vents...either packages or? If you don't have the courage to open one of the vents and put a flashlight in there, you might call or visit the narcotics unit of the local Sacramento Police. And do go through the nearest location. They may even have a sting operation going on at Globe Mills. If they do, they will reassure you that the problem is being taken care of. If not, ask them to visit in plain clothes and see what they think. Don't waste their time, or you will lose credibility. Hopefully you have recorded the noises?

3. Don't get mad if someone calls you crazy for speaking the truth. That's a typical diversion to: diversion from the problem, denial or some stupid kid on this group making fun of the situation.

I fully intend to stay with this, even though I am a thousand miles away. I stay with it because it is a very important issue.

Any by the way, there is another state tenant law that is, management has a responsibility to tell a perspective tenant if someone has died in the apartment. This is important because of blood and body fluids. There is a very specific way human remains are suppose to be cleaned in an apartment, through a hazardous waste company.

A lot of people have died at Globe Mills,either from old age, drug overdose or HIV/AIDS.

Stay awake..don't be afraid...try to make a difference before you leave.

I know I have cost these developers tens of thousands of dollars in this fight and it couldn't have happened to nicer people. More important, some lives may be better and that is more important.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcclifford View Post

3. Don't get mad if someone calls you crazy for speaking the truth. That's a typical diversion to: diversion from the problem, denial or some stupid kid on this group making fun of the situation.
Firstly, I'm a fully grown, mostly mature adult and just because I don't happen to share the same opinion with posters on this forum does not mean my perspective is any less credible or valid than yours, rcclifford.

Anon_Globe_Mills_Resident, I do sincerely apologize for calling you a schizophrenic, but like I mentioned previously, the initial post read as very unstable and paranoid. Now that you've clarified matters a bit more, I can see better where you're coming from.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience living here, and it may very well be that you and I live in totally different wings, therefore, we're exposed to different areas of the building. I wish you well in your future living arrangements. I still don't really understand why you didn't mention any concerns to management, and I can't rightly see how a judge will take your case against the management company seriously if you never even gave them an opportunity to mitigate your issues while you lived there.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 8,585 times
I'm currently working for Globe Mills as part of the management staff, and have been for a year. I'm fully aware of Globe's history, and will say that there's a tremendous amount of false information on this forum. It really saddens me to read libelous attacks on the immense effort and hard work that the owners, property manager, and myself have put forth to ensure that Globe Mills is a wonderful and safe place to live, for both loft and senior tenants. I fully understand that in life one can't make everyone happy, despite doing everything within ones' means to accomodate the needs and desires of others.

I live on-site as well, and intend to remain a resident when I stop working at Globe in order to attend graduate school full-time a few years from now. It was not required that I live on-site, as I'm the assistant manager; I choose to do so because Globe is a beautiful, quiet, diverse, and unique place to live. At the end of the day I'm a rent-paying resident just like everyone else. I would not work for, nor live in, an establishment if the safety of seniors, or anyone, was at stake.

It appears that the vast majority of the posters who continually insist on tarnishing Globe's reputation no longer live here, and have not lived here for quite some time. Both myself and the owners have been aware of this forum since its beginnings and have paid it little regard. We've had prospective tenants who've been interested in the property (but also concerned about the security as a result of this thread) who have been able to see firsthand how hyperbolic and untrue the allegations posed in this forum are. Finally, I felt the need to post openly and honestly, because I feel the allegations are so far beyond absurd that it's time to address them. For those of you who may contend that I'm biased because I'm an employee, let me assure you that I'm writing this out of my own volition- not as a result of any vested interest in the company.

As for security, we invest a vast portion of the budget to private security seven nights a week, as well as equipment: cameras, fob keys, gated parking, senior visitor curfew, etc. Our Paladin reports are always clean, with the occasional, yet typical, apartment issues such as someone locking his or herself out or a neighbor watching tv too loudly. We have a zero-tolerance drug policy in our lease that each tenant must sign. Essentially, the policy states that any tenant whose caught either by management or law enforcement with drugs on their person will be evicted.

As for rccliffords claim that many people have died here as a result of HIV/AIDS or drug overdose, that is beyond embellishment. Yes, a small number of senior tenants have unfortunately passed on. However, they passed away as a result of health complications and old age. Sadly, that is a reality of senior apartment complexes. Also, rcclifford, why on earth would you openly encourage a tenant to falsely plant a mouse-trap and photograph it, if mice never existed in the first place? There aren't even garbage chutes in the loft building! What you're encouraging is a blueprint for a frame-job, and totally dishonest.

Anon_Globe_Mills_Resident: I'm not sure who you are but I can tell from your original post that you live on the first floor. We did have a tenant on the first floor break his lease last week, but that coincidental factor is not sufficient evidence to assume that you're that specific tenant. However, if you are, I will say we got a very different reason for your move-out than the one you presented here on the forum. Regardless of who you are, I don't understand why you never addressed those concerns while you lived here. If you had presented those concerns to us, we would've gladly investigated them to determine the cause and help find a resolution. I hate to hear that you had a bad experience, but what's worse is that we were never given the chance to try to make it better for you.

As for the confusion regarding transfer fees, management initiated that new fee as a result of a huge influx of tenants wanting to transfer within the loft building. It got to be excessive and costly, so as a result, we started charging transfer fees to tenants and would adjust those fees depending on the rent bracket they were transferring to. For example, someone in a $1025 studio wanting to transfer to a $1275 1-bedroom is charged $250 whereas someone in a $1275 1-bedroom downsizing to a studio is charged $500 (due to the loss of rent revenue.) For seniors, we charge a flat rate of $100, unless he or she is transferring to a handicap accessible unit (we waive the fee in those instances). Also, Alana85 was correct in that making two units ready creates unnecessary expenses for the landlord. Unfortunately, we can't just allow people to freely play musical chairs within the building because it would cost so much over time that it would send the property into the red financially. CityX, I've never had a tenant request that we put the transfer fee in writing (as you claimed to have done), but if a tenant ever actually did request one I would have no problem providing an affidavit explaining that policy.

Finally, regarding the tenant base here, we extensively screen prospective tenants by doing a thorough credit and background check, doing a search on Megan's Law, and checking for past evictions with the county clerk recorder. Admittedly, there has been a small handful of bad apples (and I mean 4-5 tenants out of the 143+) since I've worked here who have been evicted through legal due process. Overall the vast majority of our tenant base consists of sweet, quiet, law-abiding, respectful senior and loft tenants.

All I ask is that people are honest on here, and fairly represent the property. Whether your experience was terrific, good, bad, terrible....please just be honest. I have no problem with people making justifiable complaints, so long as they're coming from a place of truth.

Last edited by 52nd Street; 08-15-2011 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: typo error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento