Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 AM

4 posts, read 16,191 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Los Angeles, so this is one thing I never understood about Sacramento。 People drive really passive on the freeways up here, but once you get off the freeways people drive like mad-men! I mean when I am on the freeway I go 65-70 in no traffic, and find myself having to weave around everyone like a crazy person. But once I get off the freeway everyone is passing me like I am a grandma!  People FLY by me on watt or sunrise blvd going 60 miles an hour through commercial and residential districts! I mean shouldn't it be the other way around?? Shouldn't we drive a little faster on the freeway if there are no stoplights, but drive a tad slower where there are a bunch of stoplights and cross-traffic? Even Wilshire Blvd in LA seems slower paced than Sunrise or Greenback in Sacramento county...

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Funny I have always found people in Sac drive crazy on the freeway and slower on surface streets

Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Sunrise and Greenback, like other major suburban boulevards, became de facto freeways long ago, with limited stops--far fewer than on streets like Wilshire--so people tend to treat them like freeways wherever possible. Surface streets downtown, which are a grid system like that in much of Los Angeles proper, feature more reasonable speeds because the streets are narrower and have stoplights every few blocks.

Not sure about the freeway. I don't freeway drive much, but normally when I do I drive 65-70, stick to the slow lane, and feel like Grandma for all the cars passing me at high speed.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I never drove below 80 on the highway. Sometimes I've done 80 on the surface streets as well--just not the more residential ones.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
I find driving on highway 99 from US 50 down to Elk Grove a particularly frightening and stressful experience.
Probably because it cuts through some of the more ghetto, crime ridden parts of town. Most of the worst drivers are in their $1,000 beater cars and are probably uninsured and maybe even unlicensed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento