Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:48 PM

12 posts, read 58,521 times

Advertisements

Actually, to correct a previous post that stated that he lived in Carmichael, Ronald Reagan moved out of the mansion and in to a home in East Sacramento in the area called the "Fabulous 40's" - beautiful tree-lined streets with gorgeous homes. They rented the home and the address of the home is 1341 45th Street. According to the Ronald Reagan library, he never lived in Carmichael.

And, driving from mid-town to Davis would take you approximately 20 minutes. It's a pretty easy reverse commute, although coming home in the evening can certainly take a bit longer.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,768 times
Default Reagan Home

The home I believe you are referring to was the old Governor's mansion in downtown Sacramento. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=498

It is now a museum. It's on a busy street, very small yard for such a big old house. Hence, alot of street noise. I think the Reagans were the last to live there. Later, they built a house in Carmichael (suburb).

Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
There is the historic Governor's mansion downtown on H street I believe. Reagan lived in the fab 40's as was previously stated, and at that time the state decided that a new permanent place was in order. That new house is the one that is most widely known as the "Reagan home," but was never actually lived in by him, because it was built right after he left office, and yeah, it's out in Carmichael. Jerry Brown didn't want to live there, though, for some reason, and it was sold in the early 1980's and I think it stood vacant for a while. I remember it came up in the news a few years ago when it was sold again, and from the air photos of the place, it looks like it's a wonderful, rambling midcentury style house by the river.

...However, no governor actually lived there, although it is commonly tied to Reagan. Since then, no governor's actually lived in Sacramento full-time, so the issue hasn't come up since. I think Gov. Schwarzenegger has a hotel suite that he stays in when he's in town.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:26 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,231 times
Groceries - I vacation in OR every year and love to shop at Fred Meyer. We don't have anything in Sac exactly like F/M. Raley's/Bel Air, Safeway, and Albertson's are the major grocery stores. Raley's has dropped their prices and isn't as expensive as they used to be. You'll be able to find comparable stores but you won't find the groceries and other stuff in the same store.

Career - I would think Davis Med Center, Sutter, Mercy, or Marshall would all be good places to work. I've heard that Kaiser is a great place to work. They will be building a hospital in Folsom in the near future and currently have a nice center in Roseville.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:15 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Thanks for the answers thus far -

Interestingly enough, I was reading something the other night about the Reagans in Sacramento, and read a reference to the Reagans moving out of the Governor's Mansion and into the "Fabulous 40s". The story goes that when Nancy moved in, she thought the Manse was hideous and a firetrap, and then conveniently there was a fire alarm just a couple days later which sent everyone out into the street. She went house-hunting shortly thereafter.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:01 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
There is the historic Governor's mansion downtown on H street I believe. Reagan lived in the fab 40's as was previously stated, and at that time the state decided that a new permanent place was in order. That new house is the one that is most widely known as the "Reagan home," but was never actually lived in by him, because it was built right after he left office, and yeah, it's out in Carmichael. Jerry Brown didn't want to live there, though, for some reason, and it was sold in the early 1980's and I think it stood vacant for a while. I remember it came up in the news a few years ago when it was sold again, and from the air photos of the place, it looks like it's a wonderful, rambling midcentury style house by the river.

...However, no governor actually lived there, although it is commonly tied to Reagan. Since then, no governor's actually lived in Sacramento full-time, so the issue hasn't come up since. I think Gov. Schwarzenegger has a hotel suite that he stays in when he's in town.
Yep, that's the story.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 11,894 times
Hi,
I am a long time resident of Sac but also spent almost a year in Santa Fe which is very near ABQ. Albuquerque is actually a very nice town much smaller than the general Sac area. It reminds me of Sacramento many many years ago. It is much cheaper there as well and I found the people very friendly. The air there is cleaner than the air here but it is a much dryer climate than Sac is. I would think the other posted experienced snow in the sky not smog. There is virtually no smog in New Mexico. The only problem with Albuquerque is it is laid back and the wheels move more slowly than Sac and California in general, also it is very dry and that also bothers some people as well as the laid back attitude.

I loved living in the area in New Mexico, came back only because my Mother became very ill. I did miss the water there because it is so dry but would consider living there again except I have decided to live in Hawaii instead which I love even more than New Mexico!
I also will add that it isn't half bad here in the Sacramento area either even though it is a large community it still retains that small town feel.
Good luck in your choices and have a blast where ever you land!
Keoi
PS...One more thing to consider it is really hard to remember how to spell Albuquerque LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento