Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,461 times

Advertisements

My husband is progressing through the interview process for a job in Rancho Cordova. Salary is $85,000 + bonus before taxes (though we're not sure if the bonus is a percentage, etc.). Would that be a comfortable wage for the two of us?

It is just the two of us, no kids in the next couple of years, and two small dogs. We own our house in SW Missouri and would like to buy in CA after about a year as renters.

I have a BS in Education and am certified to teach Speech/Theatre and English in Missouri, though I have been working in social services for about 2 years. I'd be looking for a city/state government job in social work, but would be open to secretarial, education, etc. Is there hope?

I would also like to complete my graduate degree ASAP. I started a program in Counseling (working on my LPC and high school guidance counselor certification). Where can I find information about schools near the Sacramento area that offer that degree?

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,557 times
Wow, you are one of the few people from out of state that actually has realistic CA goals! 85K is very doable for two people and no kids. I don't know where you want to live, but that salary can get you most places in the Sacramento area. I'm a teacher in the area, and can give you some information on masters in counseling from Sacramento State University. It will be your most affordable option, but it is not an online program. I teach with several teachers that have gotten their masters from Sac State. It is very difficult, but the education is usefel. I've looked into it myself.

Getting a state or county job will be tough considering they've furloughed all they can, and they are now considering a bunch of layoffs. But there might be some options for you in the counseling side. I'm not positive though. All things funded by the state have been slashed drastically.

Some places you might want to consider looking to rent/buy are Folsom, Fair Oaks or Carmichael if you want to live pretty close to Rancho Cordova.

Counselor Education - Sac State Catalog

Good luck! And Kuddos for not saying that you want to move to Sacramento and buy a house for 85K. That is why I opened your thread in the first place. Some people have really high hopes...

Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,461 times
Volleyballer - thank you for your message! I'm from the STL area and my DH & I have lived in a smaller southwest Missouri city, so moving to a bigger city is a priority for me.

I loathe and despise hot weather (fall is my favorite season!), but from what I've seen in other forums and through online research, it looks as though Sac is only unbearable from May-September, though people keep telling me its a dry heat. Is that pretty accurate?

I did some reasearch last night about Sac State and it looks like I just missed the deadline to apply for FALL 2010! Is it really good program? A one year deadline for admission seems kind of extreme. I have 14 hours in MO, so I would be a transfer student. What do you teach?

Thanks for the information about state jobs. Scary about all of the layoffs and furloughs.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
If you are used to humid summers, you will find Sacramento summers far more tolerable. It's not unbearable, in fact it's easier to deal with than humidity. We get some 100+ days, when it's best to stay in air conditioning or go hit the river, but people adapt. Sac State is a state school, so as a new California resident you would have to pay out-of-state tuition, which comes to a couple hundred bucks per unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento