U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 PM

148 posts, read 353,523 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I was just wondering if you all would like to share nice places to take a girlfriend out to in Sacramento? I would just like to see what other people think and to see if maybe I'm missing something that I haven't seen yet in the Sacramento region.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM

8,603 posts, read 16,272,699 times
That's a very wide brush. Which part of town? What's your price range? What have you seen in the Sacramento region? What is your idea of a nice place?

There are a lot of nice places to go out--but it depends on what you're looking for. Lunch and a walk in the park? Dinner and a movie? Drinks and dancing? Beers and a band? Character-filled greasy spoons and dive bars, upscale lounges and white-table restaurants, or something in between?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 PM

148 posts, read 353,523 times
Yeah, I know it was kind of broad, sorry about that. We're more of a quiet couple, we don't do clubs and I doubt she would go to a bar on a date. Parks, nice restaurants, sight seeing, exploring, hiking; we're very anti-large crowds if we can avoid it.

If it helps, we're located in EDH so the location might help a little bit.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM

8,603 posts, read 16,272,699 times
If you're anti-large crowds, I'd recommend driving down and strolling Midtown or downtown on a weekend. Saturday is nice, more businesses are open, but parking isn't free--although you can use some private parking structures pretty cheaply on weekends (like $5-8.) Street parking is free in Sacramento on Sundays, but fewer things are open.

Old Sacramento is something everyone mentions, but for good reason--it has some real high spots, if you don't mind its rather touristy aspects. I would recommend visiting on a Sunday and starting at the Crocker Art Museum before noon (admission is free before then.) From there you can cross I-5 on the O Street bridge and walk up the riverwalk and the Tower Bridge to Old Sacramento, which is a nice little scenic stroll in itself. From there, there are a variety of things to do and places to eat (my favorites, from most to least expensive: Firehouse, Delta King, Fat City, Fanny Ann's, Steamer's) and things to see and do (a Hornblower river cruise, the Railroad Museum, the Sacramento History Museum, Military Museum, Wells Fargo museum, Sacramento visitor center museum, or just some shopping.) The best time to visit is on clear days in January and February, the holiday crowds aren't there and many stores have post-holiday sales. If you don't mind some crowds, the weekends between now and the end of the year are a fun time to visit Old Sacramento.

In Midtown, J Street and K Street from 20th-28th are my preferred strolls; lots of neat little boutiques to explore, nice places for brunch, lunch or dinner, plus a tour of Sutter's Fort is a nice piece of low-key entertainment. If you come in for an evening, there are a lot of good small theaters in Midtown like the Space, the B Street, the Geery, the Thistle Dew, and the new Lambda Players theater. I'd suggest avoiding Second Saturdays if you don't care for crowds. Most of the art galleries are open on other weekends if you like art, and you won't have to jostle through crowds or fight for parking spaces.

If you want to visit downtown Sacramento, I recommend doing so on a weekday: more things are open, and while weekdays are when downtown Sacramento is at its most lively (and parking the most difficult) there are some neat things to see. Some of Sacramento's highest-rated restaurants, like "La Bonne Soupe" on 8th & J Street (highest rated restaurant in the city in Zagat's) are only open for the state-employee lunch crowd. Other things to see are the historic Governor's Mansion, the Stanford Mansion, and the State Capitol Building (the first two charge admission, the state capitol building is free but you have to pass through a metal detector.) The K Street Mall itself is in kind of sorry shape, and the Downtown Plaza less than spectacular, but if you don't mind a little urban grit, downtown (generally I, J, K, L, Capitol and N from I-5 to about 15th) can be interesting for people-watching, and there are some great places for lunch.

Unfortunately I'm pretty downtown-centric (I live and work in the central city) so I don't know of many spots in the outer parts of Sacramento, but hopefully some folks with experience in those areas, and more outdoorsy types, will chime in too.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,357 times
Some date ideas off of the top of my head:

Do an escape room for a date! Escape rooms are giant puzzles where you and a few others are locked in a room and you have to figure how to get out by solving clues and puzzles. There's an escape room in midtown sacramento, rocklin, and probably a few other places around town.

Miniature Golf. It's an easy one, but it's always fun - especially if you make the game interesting by adding little bets here and there.

This has already been said, but Old Town is awesome. I personally think that the train museum is a great date idea that you can follow up with cocktails on the Delta King in the Pilotshouse.

Learn a dance! There are tons of partner dance studios around Sacramento. I've seen many couples try a dance together as a date that they can repeat. Also, I've seen couples for their first date try dance lessons as well. These can be pretty inexpensive, ($10-$15) at the right place. This is a good way to make a memory.

Try a cooking class, or a paint and sip (wine) class. The Art Bistro and the Painted Cork are two places that do these that come to mind.

If you want more date ideas, I send them out every week in a weekly newsletter. Check out DateNight XO for more date night ideas in greater Sacramento and sign up!

-Adam

Old 07-07-2017, 12:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,609,469 times
Firehouse.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:42 PM

231 posts, read 214,839 times
Maybe a picnic at Folsom Point on the lake. Or a hike along the earthen dyke for Folsom Lake next to Green Valley Road as it goes into Folsom. The sunset views from the top of the dyke are incredible and it's not crowded at all. You could picnic on the grass below Selland's Market in Town Center (next to the pond) and stroll around the pond afterwards. Depending on where you live in EDH, these could be within walking or biking distance.

If you like bookstores, Barnes and Noble in Palladio has a nice restaurant and separate bar inside where you can eat and leisurely look through the books and magazines. It's a little more crowded but parking is excellent at the Three Theaters at Folsom JC in Folsom and they have all kinds of plays, dance performances, singing acts, etc. The best part is you're maybe 10-15 from home when the show is over. Lots of good ideas already mentioned by others above too.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 PM

113 posts, read 136,317 times
The original post is from 2009 lol

Old 07-11-2017, 11:08 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,656,747 times
well 2009 or not- I would like to suggest the Drive in Movies- such a fun summer activity and perfect for a date (or in our case friends taking their teen kids out for the night)- its just good ole fashioned fun!!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 AM

18,815 posts, read 29,681,914 times
B Street Theater is fun

https://www.bstreettheatre.org/

As is the Fox and Goose

https://foxandgoose.com/

Also jazz night at the Crocker Art Museum, if you're into jazz:

https://www.crockerart.org/oculus/ja...at-the-crocker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento