Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:26 PM

238 posts, read 1,316,259 times

Advertisements

Last night while tucking my 6-year-old son to bed, he asked me what my favorite season of the year was. In his first grade class (in a new Roseville elementary school that achieved a 905 API score in its very first year -- outstanding!), he's been studying simple statistics and reading graphs, so he's very much into conducting his own ad-hoc "polls" now.

I thought about his question in the context of being fairly new residents of Roseville -- we moved here in 2007. I have historically thought of myself being a cool-weather person, having lived in the SF Bay Area all my adult life up till our move. And yet, my answer to him was: I have no favorite season. I have reasons to like all of them equally.

It's autumn now, and my favorite time of year to go cycling. Whether it's a quick 20-mile lunchtime roadbike ride with my co-workers around the Roseville/Granite Bay, a half-day, 62-mile (metric century) loop to Georgetown and back, or a mountain bike ride 15 minutes away nearby Folsom Lake, I'm always looking for an excuse to hop on one of my bikes and ride. I enjoy seeing the fall colors, and feeling the air get a little more crisp.

Winter comes, and although it limits my cycling/running, I love dressing up for the cold air outside, as well as the feeling of coming in from it. When it rains, the sound of the drops hitting the window panes is relaxing. And of course the occasional trip up to Tahoe. I'm hoping this season of snowboarding -- my second year doing it, after 2 decades as a skier -- won't be TOO hard on my 39-year-old joints. The cold weather won't keep my kids from swimming, though. Now that Roseville's year-round pool is open, they're able to continue their swim classes through the winter.

Spring comes, and with it, the opportunity to get back outdoors regularly, even if it can be inconsistent. But to me, it's all part of what makes springtime interesting and fun, like Forrest Gump's proverbial box o' chocolates -- you never know what you're gonna get. You might get thunder/lightning storms one day, and a glorious, sunny day the next. Those are extremes I can handle.

In the summer, we use the heat as an excuse to go to the Roseville Aquatic Center near our house on a weekly basis. In the balmy evenings, we enjoyed being able to go out wearing the same shorts and sandals we wore during the day. Or going running at night, doing the 2.5 mile lap around our community (my son trains for and participates in kids triathlons.) The summer heat hasn't been all THAT bad even for this Bay Area transplant, and come on, the number of days out of the year it hits triple digits can probably be counted on one hand.

No place is perfect, but we moved here with a good idea of what to expect, and we have embraced it. No regrets.

One of those unpredictable springtime days that "suck"....

Mid-July...maybe it was an unbearably hot day, but don't tell that to my kids having fun at Fountains Roseville in the evening:

True, not much shade tree cover in this city, at least not in the newer parts. I mean, why would you want to look at that ugly sky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Ludachris, you're in for more disappointment if you think you'll find consistency here. Fall is the only really nice season in the Sacramento area, Roseville included. Spring is very unpredictable. In fact, it's my least favorite season for that reason, not to mention the allergies. By the way, if anyone in your family has allergies, forget about this area. It's one of the worst for allergies of anywhere in the country, the main reason being that we are stuck in a valley surrounded by all kinds of agriculture.

Anyway, spring sucks here - one year it can be very warm starting in March and stay that way, like it did two years ago. Or it can be rainy and cold through the end of May. And this year, the cool weather continued into June. Winter is predictable - it will be cold, wet, and foggy. Depending if we have El Nino or not, we could get floods. We're actually due for that, having just come out of three years of drought. Summer is actually nice if you like hot weather, which I do. Especially the warm nights, which are conducive to outdoor evening activities like pool parties, walking, baseball games, barbeques,etc. However, it can get a bit much when it's still near 100 and it's mid-September which is what happened this year. But fall is very nice, and very pretty, too. We get quite a bit of fall color, which most people would not expect given the hot summer weather.
Having grown up in the Bay Area, I know all about the spring out there - not bad at all really, even in the valley.

I don't mind rain and fog through the winter months or sometimes in the spring. It's still some of the most consistent weather year round than you'll find anywhere else. I don't necessarily like the idea of 100+ degree days but I think we'll adapt, just as we did to the 35 degree days here in the winter.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
One of my favorite things about fall in Roseville is coming up next weekend--the annual "International Railfair" at the Placer County fairgrounds in Roseville. It is pretty much the biggest model railroad show in the region, and includes a number of club and modular layouts in various scales, typically several live steam layouts outdoors, and a lot of vendors selling toy-train and model railroad items. The site is also close to the Roseville classification yard for those who want to do a bit of train-watching. It's definitely a fun family activity, even when the weather isn't so great.

International Railfair

Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM

88 posts, read 328,362 times
To me the climate here in Sacramento is generally quite consistant. I've been here 16 years but, grew up in the Northeast/New England and that is what I call inconsistant and unpredictable...Here in Sacramento/Central Valley we really only have 2 main seasons to me -Dry season (roughly May to October) and Rainy season (Nov to March/ April)...During the dry season expect virtually cloud free days and warm to hot temps...Most of the summer is in the 90's to low 100's but, unlike places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, and even Redding we do get relief from the Delta Breeze (cooler ocean air coming in from the SF Bay)..So even if the day is quite hot it can be quite comfortable at night (it can be 102 day and down to 58 night) and the humidity is lower here when it gets hot which also helps... The best thing about our dry season is that you can plan on having outdoor events like bbq's, weddings, ballgames, etc...without worrying if it will rain or not...It is not impossible to have a summer shower but, it is quite uncommon.
Winter varies more since it can be sunny, rainy, or foggy but, we don't get the extreme flucuations like much of the east and midwest...Expect consistant moderate temps (50's/60's day and 40's/30's night) and days that can be quite clear and sunny or foggy and rain with no any snow...Of course there are always exceptions to the rule (like El Nino flooding) but this is basically what you'll get. So, overall compared to much of the US the climate in Sacramento is quite moderate, predictable, and consistant.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc916 View Post
To me the climate here in Sacramento is generally quite consistant. I've been here 16 years but, grew up in the Northeast/New England and that is what I call inconsistant and unpredictable...Here in Sacramento/Central Valley we really only have 2 main seasons to me -Dry season (roughly May to October) and Rainy season (Nov to March/ April)...During the dry season expect virtually cloud free days and warm to hot temps...Most of the summer is in the 90's to low 100's but, unlike places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, and even Redding we do get relief from the Delta Breeze (cooler ocean air coming in from the SF Bay)..So even if the day is quite hot it can be quite comfortable at night (it can be 102 day and down to 58 night) and the humidity is lower here when it gets hot which also helps... The best thing about our dry season is that you can plan on having outdoor events like bbq's, weddings, ballgames, etc...without worrying if it will rain or not...It is not impossible to have a summer shower but, it is quite uncommon.
Winter varies more since it can be sunny, rainy, or foggy but, we don't get the extreme flucuations like much of the east and midwest...Expect consistant moderate temps (50's/60's day and 40's/30's night) and days that can be quite clear and sunny or foggy and rain with no any snow...Of course there are always exceptions to the rule (like El Nino flooding) but this is basically what you'll get. So, overall compared to much of the US the climate in Sacramento is quite moderate, predictable, and consistant.
Exactly. To Californian's, who are spoiled by good consistent weather, they really have no true appreciation for inconsistent weather.

Try just about any other part of the country, especially Colorado where Ludachris is coming from. 65 degrees and sunny one day, then 25 degrees and blizzard the next. Then back to 60... Then throw in an overnight low in the teens or less.

Sacramento? Like you said, quite consistent.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
Actually, I have to amend my previous post. I said that the weather here is inconsistent, but what I really mean to say was that it is BORING! I love thunder storms, and "interesting" weather of any kind. But we just don't get enough weird weather here! As was mentioned it starts to get warm about April and from then on, you can pretty much count on lots of sunshine and heat until October. The winter is a bit more lively, if we get some winter storms. We usually get one or two, and they typically bring a lot of rain to the valley and snow to the mountains. As I said beofre, spring can drive you crazy because it can be a very warm spring, and the rain will stop in March. Or it can really rain a lot. For instance, this past spring, we had a lot of heavy, late rain. And June was atypically mild, even cool. Being an avid gardner, I don't like unpredictability during springtime after I have done most of my planting, especially my tomatoes! They do so well in this area, but a prolonged cool and rainy spring can inhibit their growth and production.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:07 AM

12 posts, read 26,290 times
[quote=quasi888;11553248]Last night while tucking my 6-year-old son to bed, he asked me what my favorite season of the year was. In his first grade class (in a new Roseville elementary school that achieved a 905 API score in its very first year -- outstanding!), he's been studying simple statistics and reading graphs, so he's very much into conducting his own ad-hoc "polls" now.

I thought about his question in the context of being fairly new residents of Roseville -- we moved here in 2007. I have historically thought of myself being a cool-weather person, having lived in the SF Bay Area all my adult life up till our move. And yet, my answer to him was: I have no favorite season. I have reasons to like all of them equally.

It's autumn now, and my favorite time of year to go cycling. Whether it's a quick 20-mile lunchtime roadbike ride with my co-workers around the Roseville/Granite Bay, a half-day, 62-mile (metric century) loop to Georgetown and back, or a mountain bike ride 15 minutes away nearby Folsom Lake, I'm always looking for an excuse to hop on one of my bikes and ride. I enjoy seeing the fall colors, and feeling the air get a little more crisp.

Winter comes, and although it limits my cycling/running, I love dressing up for the cold air outside, as well as the feeling of coming in from it. When it rains, the sound of the drops hitting the window panes is relaxing. And of course the occasional trip up to Tahoe. I'm hoping this season of snowboarding -- my second year doing it, after 2 decades as a skier -- won't be TOO hard on my 39-year-old joints. The cold weather won't keep my kids from swimming, though. Now that Roseville's year-round pool is open, they're able to continue their swim classes through the winter.

Spring comes, and with it, the opportunity to get back outdoors regularly, even if it can be inconsistent. But to me, it's all part of what makes springtime interesting and fun, like Forrest Gump's proverbial box o' chocolates -- you never know what you're gonna get. You might get thunder/lightning storms one day, and a glorious, sunny day the next. Those are extremes I can handle.

In the summer, we use the heat as an excuse to go to the Roseville Aquatic Center near our house on a weekly basis. In the balmy evenings, we enjoyed being able to go out wearing the same shorts and sandals we wore during the day. Or going running at night, doing the 2.5 mile lap around our community (my son trains for and participates in kids triathlons.) The summer heat hasn't been all THAT bad even for this Bay Area transplant, and come on, the number of days out of the year it hits triple digits can probably be counted on one hand.

No place is perfect, but we moved here with a good idea of what to expect, and we have embraced it. No regrets.

One of those unpredictable springtime days that "suck"....

Mid-July...maybe it was an unbearably hot day, but don't tell that to my kids having fun at Fountains Roseville in the evening:

True, not much shade tree cover in this city, at least not in the newer parts. I mean, why would you want to look at that ugly sky?
[/quot

quasi888 ~
Loved your pictures! The scenery is beautiful and your children are adorable. You are absolutely right - no place is perfect. There will always be the pros and cons of anyplace you live. A lot has to do with finances, job, hobbies/interests, etc. The bottom line I think is -- what place will provide the best quality of life for myself/family?

I have lived in So. Cal. for most of my life. I currently live in Orange County and am putting my house on the market this Wednesday. After much thought, prayer and 3 trips to Roseville -- I've decided to move to either Roseville or Granite Bay. Like many people that move to that area, I also am drawn to the proximity of Tahoe, SF and Napa -- some of my very favorite places. I have been snowboarding for a long time and can't wait to be so close to Tahoe. I will go up at least once a week once I move there. From where I live in the south part of the county -- it can take up to 8 or 9 hours to get to Mammoth because there is perpetual traffic in So. Cal. (one of the things I hate that has progressively gotten worse over the years) Don't worry about your 39 year old joints --you are still so young! I'm 48 and I have no problem with pain or injury -- ( you are as old as you think you are -- don't start feeling "old"!!)

I love SF -- it will be so nice to just have a 2+ hour drive vs a 7-8 hour drive that I have now. Also, being the wino that I am -- I can't wait to be so close to wine country. I also found a church in Sacramento that has the Latin Mass twice a day. I love the traditional Mass, so that is another plus for me. So, most of the things that I love to do, are in the vicintiy of Roseville. I will miss being so close to the beach -- but the pros outweigh the cons. Not to mention, the cost of housing is actually affordable in Roseville.

I was looking at the homes in Westpark -- does anyone live there and how strict are they on parking your car in the garage? Most people on my street here use their garage for storage, game room, etc. No one cares if the car is on the street. I don't want to move into a gestapo type neighborhood. I will only move to Westpark if it is lenient regarding parking. Would it be a problem setting up my pool table in the garage? When I drove around Westpark I noticed cars parked on the driveway and was really encouraged about that!! I had originally thought about moving to El Dorado Hills, but the neighborhoods looked deserted and I saw no signs of life there and that really scared me.

Could someone give me some feedback on how you like living in Roseville?

thanks,
Michele

Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 AM

238 posts, read 1,316,259 times
Michele -

Thanks for the kind words. We live in WestPark. :-) Technically we're not supposed to user our garages for storage, but it's not a rule that is enforced. We park one of our cars in the street, one in the driveway, and our garage is currently filled with half my stuff (bikes/motorcycle/tools), and half my wife's teaching supplies (she was pinkslipped and this is the first time in her teaching career she has not had a job, so we had to move all her things home). Our neighbors across the street don't park their cars in the garage either -- they use it for their kids' bikes, storage, and a pool table.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento