Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,871 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 26/m and with a possible opportunity to work for Nevada County, in Nevada City. I just found out I will get an interview so Im just being assertive and trying to get information about the area, I also dont know anyone out there. I cant seem to find much information for my demographic in my position so hopefully yall can help me.

Currently I live in Charleston, SC and employed but looking for a higher paying job (I would be going from about 40k to ~60k) because I have loans/debt I can only currently make any headway on.

A little about me: I am very active outside of work, playing lots of area sports and going to the beach. I go out to bars an hang out with friends on weekends. I kind of figure I would substitute all my beach time with hiking/skiing/mountains. From what I can gather, the cost of living in/near Sacramento is a little higher than here, but out near Nevada City it is considerably higher. The thing I really dont like about Charleston is I am isolated 4 hours from the nearest cities and there is NO music scene at all.

OK, so you know about me Here is what I am looking to know. First, what areas would be good to look to rent, considering where I work, affordability, and not feeling too isolated. Basically, convince me to move or not to move

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:47 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Look at Grass Valley, a town adjacent to Nevada City. It is slightly less charming and quaint but generally more affordable and practical. In either case you would be less than an hour from Sacramento, the nearest major city, and less than an hour from skiing in the mountains--and hiking would probably be within walking distance.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,871 times
Thanks for the response. What is the mix of people like in these towns? I am concerned that I am going to have a hard time meeting people around my age living kind of far from downtown, since I wont know anyone moving there.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM

14 posts, read 31,690 times
you might want to consider Roseville, Rocklin area and commute to work. Roseville area has a younger crowd and more conducive to meeting new people.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,981 times
I wouldn't worry much about meeting people in Grass Valley/Nevada City. The community has a strong local identity and there is a fair amount of people in there 20's who live there.

You are about 60 miles from skiing and snowboarding in the winter, because of the Downieville Classic, Downieville is rated in the top 10 places in the country for mountain biking. Additionally, there are a lot of music festivals, community theater that is promoted by the local community radio station. You can listen on line and get a sense of what is happening or check out the local newspaper.

Welcome to KVMR 89.5 FM Music of the World. Voice of the Community. Nevada City, CA 95959
TheUnion.com Online News | Grass Valley & Nevada County California

Grass Valley and Nevada City are probably the closest thing in this region to a community like Moab Utah. Lots of stuff to do outdoors and a fair amount of stuff happening locally.

If there is stuff you want to get from a larger area, you are also only about 30 -45 minutes from stuff happening in the Roseville -Sacramento area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento