Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancey View Post
Does anyone have a reason why I should?

In short, I was offered to live with some friends in South Sac. Not Elk Grove, but the real South Sac.. I really didn't know much about the area, now I'm scared of it.

I live in a nice part of North LA and South Sacramento seems almost like starting over in a rut.. Does anyone have any advice on how the neighborhood could get better or is it really one of the worst parts of town.
Sac is *fine*. South Sac is not, just like East LA. Every large metro area has good and bad parts. I don't think South Sac is as bad as the ghettos in LA, but if you've got a nice place and no real reason to move... don't. But I think Sac is a lot slower paced and safe than LA, SF, SD. Its what you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times
My husband lived in a neighborhood for 20 yrs. that directly backed up into Oak Park. He's 6 foot and big. The football coach at the high school asked him several times to play on the team he's so husky (not his thing though).

He had enough experiences and won't go near South Sac. I'm sure there are very generous, warm hearted people living in South Sac -- just as there are warm hearted, sweethearts living in Granite Bay and Folsom -- but you don't live this life looking for trouble.

Does anyone remember what happened to that Sacramento Bee photographer?? No? He was taking "happy" pictures of families in South Sac one morning and . . . oops, turned out it wasn't a happy family. . . they beat the photographer so badly that he never was the same again. I read the Bee daily and all I remember is that he was in the hospital for a long time and didn't regain his full abilities.

You can take the "just give people a chance thing" way, way too far. Common sense has to enter the picture at some point.

And it's reverse discrimination to talk badly about people because they live in a nice neighborhood. It's somehow okay to trash Folsom and Granite Bay people? Yes a certain group is attracted to those areas, but you'll find good people anywhere.

Alley

Old 12-31-2009, 10:46 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,054 times
Is the Pocket Area/Greenhaven considered South Sac? We used to live there before we gave up on California altogether and always thought it was a nice area. We lived on Breakwater and then, temporarily, Bingham Circle while preparing to leave the state.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM

139 posts, read 831,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
Is the Pocket Area/Greenhaven considered South Sac? We used to live there before we gave up on California altogether and always thought it was a nice area. We lived on Breakwater and then, temporarily, Bingham Circle while preparing to leave the state.
No... it is considered the Pocket Area ... Still pretty nice. Lots of robberies and burglaries though.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,054 times
That's too bad. We saw that California was heading south back in the 80's and started preparing to leave but it took us until 1994 to get it altogether. Don't miss it and won't come back except for family visits.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:35 PM

139 posts, read 831,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
That's too bad. We saw that California was heading south back in the 80's and started preparing to leave but it took us until 1994 to get it altogether. Don't miss it and won't come back except for family visits.
That's a pretty broad brush I mean, California definitely is going downhill.. our economy stinks, our taxes are high, and we are overregulated. But I personally like the area in which I live... it is peaceful, suburban.. nice community feel.

Of course, the unemployment rate is out of this world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento