Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 26,574 times

Advertisements

The City of Sacramento is running a con game. My son, a Marine preparing to deploy to Afghanistan, is being harassed and persecuted for a parking ticket that was promptly paid. He started receiving notices about a year and a half after paying his ticket saying he still owed for the ticket. Proof has been provided to them three different times showing prompt payment. Who cares! No one in Sacramento that's for sure. He has been turned over to a collection agency (which has also ignored his letters) that is now preparing to attach his tax returns. All over a ticket that was promptly paid! The morons running this system don't give a damn. Better to harass and steal from our troops. Afterall, it's much harder to fight this type of thing when you're out of the country. Disgraceful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
ok

Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
This story doesn't sound right.

I've had to go to city hall several times to straighten out mistakes they made, but as soon as I talked to someone the problem was resolved promptly. I suggest you do the same.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM

I know it doesn't sound right, but that's what it is. Trying to get this done through the mail. I live four hours away and my son's in NC. A quick trip downtown to straighten it out is a bit tougher than it once was. Fired off a few letters today, hopefully one of them will help. Can't believe this just suddenly sprang back to life almost two years after the ticket was paid. The whole thing's insane.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 PM

I also have to laugh a bit at my first post. While it is absolutely correct factually, I was definitely ranting and raving a bit.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:23 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoztom View Post
I also have to laugh a bit at my first post. While it is absolutely correct factually, I was definitely ranting and raving a bit.
That happens, dealing with a bureaucracy can be a bit frustrating.

However, my experience has been that if you have your documentation proving the ticket had been paid, and they are double billing you, you will eventually find someone who will get this fixed.

But it does take too much effort.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I've found the following to be helpful and have used all of them at one time for myself or helping a friend...

Document Everything.

City... go to the mayors office and start at the top

County... county supervisor

State... Elected Representative... very helpful with major DMV SNAFU

Federal... Congressional Representative...

In all cases... local media... TV interview or Newspaper.

As long as you are persistent... it will be resolved... it's a shame it works this way... but it does...

I even filed a small claims suit over a garbage lien paid by the city placed in error on my property... legal action did get someone that had the power to resolve it...

Bottom Line... no one will look out for you... but Yourself.

Haven't tried it, but told it also works... On Base Military Public Affairs/Jag office... they don't like member of the Military being abused and often are politically connected...

You could always pay and then sue everyone

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-18-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks Utrarunner. Unfortunately, you're absolutely right as my experience is proving once again. I spent about four hours trying to resolve this today. The only thing I got was lots of doublespeak, circular logic, and very frustrated. They acknowledge that he paid the ticket. The problem is that somehow, the funds were sent to the City Superior Court. They can't explain why or how. I'm supposed to get ahold of the court to get my son's money back - he "probably has a $25 credit with them now," she said. But the courts are a different system, so the girl at the city department of revenue has no idea of a phone number, person to contact, or anything else that will help me contact the court. Not sure why the office of revenue is unable to correct its own screw-ups, but anyway.
Since the money misapplied to the wrong account, she tells me, he now owes $75 on the $25 ticket since nothing was applied to the ticket. The fact that my son went to City Hall and paid the ticket is irrelevant. His money wasn't applied to the ticket therefore he owes the penalty, regardless of whose fault it was.
Mayor, news orgs., and anyone else that can read, here come the letters and phone calls.
Thanks here and elsewhere for all the responses. I've received good advice and info.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoztom View Post
Thanks Utrarunner. Unfortunately, you're absolutely right as my experience is proving once again. I spent about four hours trying to resolve this today. The only thing I got was lots of doublespeak, circular logic, and very frustrated. They acknowledge that he paid the ticket. The problem is that somehow, the funds were sent to the City Superior Court. They can't explain why or how. I'm supposed to get ahold of the court to get my son's money back - he "probably has a $25 credit with them now," she said. But the courts are a different system, so the girl at the city department of revenue has no idea of a phone number, person to contact, or anything else that will help me contact the court. Not sure why the office of revenue is unable to correct its own screw-ups, but anyway.
Since the money misapplied to the wrong account, she tells me, he now owes $75 on the $25 ticket since nothing was applied to the ticket. The fact that my son went to City Hall and paid the ticket is irrelevant. His money wasn't applied to the ticket therefore he owes the penalty, regardless of whose fault it was.
That is unacceptable, time to get others involved.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:19 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Probably my most frustrating incident was dealing with a city business license... they somehow credited my payment to the city rent board...

Unfortunately it took a trip in person to the City Finance Director to get it settled...

The clerk I previously talked with said they were unrelated and I would have to pay again... and deal with getting a refund.

I had my cancelled check made out to the City for Business License Renewal and explained I would go after the city for damages and court costs since they apparently fraudulently cashed my check...

The bigger the city, the harder it seems it is to get straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento