Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,962 times

Advertisements

There are so many beautiful places to live, work, and play in the foothills that I just can't figure out which place to go! My youngest will graduate in 2 years and we will be young empty-nesters ready to downsize and simplify our lives so we can enjoy life- long before retirement. I telecommute, so driving is not a factor. We hope to find an area that feels very rural, but actually has easy access to the hwys, bigger towns, etc. It can get so brown in some areas... so, a place with year round color and great views is ideal. I visited an area years ago that had so much fall color, I thought I was back east....but, can't recall where that was (Lincoln or Loomis maybe?) The other factor is affordability (If there is such a thing) For example, I really love Tahoe, but it's so expensive! In fact, all of Nevada County is pretty much off the charts from housing to gas to groceries. Maybe there are similar places, not as well known and therefor, not as pricey? I've looked up HWY 80 and 49, but am not familiar with 50. I am ready to make some road trips after learning what you may have to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM

590 posts, read 932,382 times
If you live far enough up the hill (in the forest) it will be green all year round. In El Dorado County (hwy 50) any town from Camino eastward will stay green. In Nevada County (Hwy 80) any town from Weimar eastward will stay green. Understand that our trees are always green except for when the leaves fall of in the winter, still the forests full of pine trees and redwoods are always green. When you get closer to Sacramento (Placerville on 50, Auburn on 80) it gets very hot in the summer and the grasses on the hillsides get very brown and become very prone to fire. I've always liked the Pollock Pines area on Hwy 50, the trees get really big in that area and it stays cool in the summer. You will deal with snow in the winter though.

If you look at the terrain view on Googlemaps you'll be able to see how geography changes as you head eastward. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sacram...image&resnum=1

You might want to consider Foresthill, Penn Valley, Cool, Pilot Hill, Lotus, Coloma, Diamond Springs, etc.

Last edited by NorCalMan; 04-27-2009 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM

111 posts, read 463,206 times
[quote=NorCalMan;8543269]If you live far enough up the hill (in the forest) it will be green all year round. In El Dorado County (hwy 50) any town from Camino eastward will stay green. In Nevada County (Hwy 80) any town from Weimar eastward will stay green.

NorCalMan: sorry just a couple of corrections: Weimar is in Placer County and we still get pretty brown around here, except for the pine trees. Nevada County is off Hwy 49, Hwy 20 and then 80 at Truckee.

California Girl:
One of my favorite areas is Chicago Park/Peardale off hwy 174 (4 miles from Colfax), but prices there tend a little higher because of the acreage, the low end is 300K with a house (for the most part, but lower does show up sometimes) Land prices depending on acreage figure a very low end of 75K for an acre(probably without the well or septic on it), a few flat acres with the well & perc & mantle done, and maybe power figure 200-250K (if you can find flat), that would be for the Weimar to Chicago Park area. Foresthill might go a bit lower and actually there are some good deals there right now. With the drop in housing prices it currently may be cheaper to buy already built than build.

The first question I would have for you is how is your tolerence for SNOW?
Generally (except for Tahoe & Truckee) the more snow the cheaper the homes. If you can stand some snow Alta, Dutch Flat is very nice too.

There are areas in Newcastle and Auburn that have green nearly year round because they are near streams or in small sheltered areas.

I always suggest going to the different areas and spending a few days there just observing, take some notes, this time of year almost the whole state has great weather, so go in the middle of summer or winter. Also what are your hobbies, do you want to be near golf or involved in community service? you get the picture. Also is high speed internet important to you and your job? Some areas there is not that type of service.

Last edited by ColfaxTeri; 04-27-2009 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,896,522 times
What is your budget? If we have a rough idea of what you are looking to spend we can give you better feedback.

When you looked up 80, how much time did you spend getting off the freeway looking around? For years I had driven past Weimar and had never given the area much thought at all. But when I finally got off at the exit and drove into the little town, I was suprised by how much charm the area had.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM

590 posts, read 932,382 times
[quote=ColfaxTeri;8543892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
If you live far enough up the hill (in the forest) it will be green all year round. In El Dorado County (hwy 50) any town from Camino eastward will stay green. In Nevada County (Hwy 80) any town from Weimar eastward will stay green.

NorCalMan: sorry just a couple of corrections: Weimar is in Placer County and we still get pretty brown around here, except for the pine trees. Nevada County is off Hwy 49, Hwy 20 and then 80 at Truckee.
Yup, you're right, I stand corrected.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,962 times
Thank you for providing so much info! The terrain changes so rapidly in such a short distance and there are so many quaint places a short distance from the hwy, that it is quite a challenge to understand their subtle differences. I don't want too much snow, so Newcastle and Auburn sound good, but most areas are so brown. So I will need to find the greener areas referred to. As for $$, It's hard to tell what my house will be worth when the time comes, and that will be the main source of funding. I'll also check out Chicago Park/Peardale sometime soon. Maybe take a drive up 50, although I have heard it is not as scenic there. There are a lot of towns listed... I'll be busy!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
We designed a gorgeous home for a client in Pilot Hill years back. I would move there in a heartbeat, but I did not care for the little winding road to get down to Auburn. There was talk about doing a bridge that would connect these two areas and I wonder if it ever came to be.

Another nice area that is still very affordable for CA living is Paradise CA. I think the zip is 95969 and 95954. You can find some lovely parcels right outside of the town. This area is a short drive up the Butte from Chico State and the historic downtown of Chico. Best of luck.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:01 PM

250 posts, read 737,714 times
Have you ever thought of Sutter's Creek, Plymouth, Jackson etc.?

How about small and unique Volcano?

There are simply so many small towns to choose from when following the highway 49 south or near the junction of highway 88.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM

167 posts, read 451,822 times
Angels camp is farther east, but really nice area. near sacramento, I would say loomis/penryn.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanMoore View Post
Angels camp is farther east, but really nice area. near sacramento, I would say loomis/penryn.
Much more south as well, Calaveras County. It is a fine place but not where I would build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento