Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,636 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Sac area in the next month for a job in Rancho Cordova. I would prefer a more urban lifestyle to the suburban blah (although I would consider a more progressive suburban area if it exists.) I have two elementary age kids that will be with me in the summer months, so safety is an issue, but mostly it will just be me.

How is the commute from Midtown area to Rancho Cordova?

Any ideas on other areas where I might find a house, 3bed, for around 1700/mo in a safer urban area where I can walk to a local coffee shop, natural food store, etc?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Try land park or east sac.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,176 times
Check out the Newton Booth Area of Midtown(23rd to 29th and Q to W)
Here you Freeway and Light rail Access to Rancho Cordova, no more than a 15 min commute. And you have an easy walk or light rail into the heart of Midtown and Downtown,, East Sac and Broadway. You won’t find an Urban, Walkable neighborhood in Rancho. Plenty safe if you don't let your kids run around by themselves after dark and pretty quiet. I like it and I commute out of the area.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
The local welfare office is in Newton Booth at 28th and R which draws a lot of sketchy people into that area. I would look more at McKinley Park, Land Park or something near East Portal Park in East Sac.

Those neighborhoods are still pedestrian friendly, have local cafes, restaurants and bars, but are a lot more child friendly and just generally less sketchy/less depressing than Newton Booth.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Look at Newton Booth, or a bit farther west in Poverty Ridge (between 19th and 24th, R to W), which, despite the name, is a fancier neighborhood than Newton Booth. It is also the location of the only hill in the central city (not counting manmade berms and levees) with some nice views of downtown. The Alhambra Triangle is another option, just east of Newton Booth. Two features of that area (the southeastern corner of the old city) are Temple Coffee, a terrific coffee shop, at 29th and S (soon to be joined by a new neighbor, urban winery Revolution Wines) and the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op, at Alhambra and S. Being able to walk both places (or take light rail, the station is at 29th and R) is a real plus. There are quite a few other coffee shops within walking radius.

If you are used to living in cities the level of "sketchy people" in Newton Booth will probably be well within your comfort zone.

Midtown is a bit more expensive and quite a bit more hectic. East Sacramento is a possibility and much of it is walkable to light rail, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM

109 posts, read 377,586 times
Avoid Newton Booth. For a budget of 1700 a month you have much better options than Newton Booth. When your kids are living with you, you will have a lot less to worry about if you are living in East Sac, McKinley Park, Land Park or Curtis Park.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Lot's of Newton Booth haters, lol. As for being kid friendly, the Sacramento County day is moving their High School into the neighborhood in August. Most of the affluent parents seem pretty excited about there kids going there(that I talked to.)
Sacramento Country Day School > Home (http://www.saccds.org/Default.aspx?tabid=53 - broken link)
Sacramento Press / High school students welcomed to Newton Booth neighborhood

East Sac is nice SUBURBAN neighborhood. The OP asked about Urban neighborhoods, he said perfers a more Urban lifestlye. East Sac is very white washed, but there are cool stuff along Folsom and J. You can probably find a house in East for 1700. I won't deny that there is less crime and street people in East Sacramento than Newton Booth. Both are an easy commute to Rancho and both have light rail.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 AM

119 posts, read 517,959 times
Newton Booth has the welfare office, and its close to Oak Park. Its just not a neighborhood I would want to bring kids into, especially if I could afford East Sac, McKinley Park, or Land Park.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 AM

142 posts, read 534,736 times
I would focus more on East Sac, McKinley Park, Land Park and maybe Curtis Park. They are just much nicer places to live.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Curtis Park is next door to Oak Park, closer than Newton Booth. Still a really nice place. McKinley Park(which is part of East Sac) is also a really cool area, I would check that out.

Newton Booth is not the same as Oak Park. The welfare Office doesn't affect anything west of 27th or South of S. It's a nice, quiet tree lined neighborhood with historic homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento