Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sounds like we stomped some of the same ground. I was a little late for Danceteria, but used to spend a lot of time at the Cattle Club, and a little at the Rage (some folks I know still go every Sunday night, I haven't been since 1996.) But that was hardly it--there was the Guild in Oak Park, Old Ironsides in Southside, and the Loft, which were pretty much the dual nexuses of the downtown punk scene in the early nineties when I showed up. There were a lot of other short-lived venues at people's houses, at coffee shops like Capitol Garage and Cafe Cambire, and their number has only grown over the years. If your baseline for Sacramento's cultural life is based on Danceteria days, you're missing out!
Yes, I hung out at The Loft every Sunday from beginning to end and went to most shows at The Guild as well as The Davis Teen Center, the short lived Garage in West Sac, and pretty much any house show that was along the same lines. I didn't mention any of this because I figured no one on City Data would know what I was talking about. I only went to a few shows at Capitol Garage and the Distillery wasn't around yet and for some reason I never went to shows at Old Ironsides even though I lived a few blocks away for a time. I have a feeling that we might recognize each other

But, still, Gilman St was my thing and SF and the East Bay were places that I would rather hang out in. They offered far more to do than Sacto did at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
You're probably going to roll your eyes at this, but I roll my eyes at any mention of "world-class" anything (because it's a nonsense word that doesn't really mean anything) but the California State Railroad Museum is, without question, one of the finest in the country, if not one of the finest in the world. This doesn't impress some folks who grew up during the era when railroads were considered yesterday's technology and highways were all the rage. But considering that rail traffic, both freight and passenger, is dramatically rising in this country, people growing up today will have different ideas about trains.
Yeah, I am rolling my eyes. By world-class I mean something of prominence, maybe. The Railroad Museum is awesome and the new design for The Crocker looks good compared to the old Victorian mansion it was housed in.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 24,344 times
In response to the original thread, I'm part of an interracial couple, hispanic/white, there is an older generation that sometimes reacts negatively, but that's b/c of their own outdated hang ups. I think sacramento is really diverse, and I'm from the L.A. area so I have a pretty good idea of what diversity looks like. Just some friendly advice, if your going to take offense or read into how people are "looking" at you, I think your creating a lot of your own problems.

Perhaps spending a lot of time here has made you sick of it, I think moving around is great, especially if your single and not tied down. Different places appeal to different age groups. I hope you find what your looking for. I've found a happy life in Sacramento and wouldn't discourage anyone from moving here, it's a nice city.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesBlessed View Post
If you are young, single, and are considering moving to Sacramento.....

THINK AGAIN

Sacramento is the most boring, closed minded place on planet earth.

I am a 25 year old woman, I am single with no kids and have spent the majority of my life in Sacramento (That is of course until now)

If you LOVE racial diversity, city living, nice restaurants, city hot spots,
bar hoping, open minded, fun loving individuals, This AINT the place for you.

Sacramento belongs to closed-minded, old school, white collar, dillweed republicans (men and women) who have nothing better to do than intruded on others and their lives by turning up their inbred noses at anything that goes against the grain. An example just how feeble minded these people may be can be found in numerous postings on the Sacramento Boards.

People complaining about moving to an area.....(we will use the Natomas area for example) Then wanting to move from Natomas after MINORITIES move in (i.e Blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Indians, Arabs etc) to places like Folsom or Roseville.........Which don't get me wrong, these are some nice area's HOWEVER They are NO more nicer than the area's that are inhabited by MINORITIES.

Another example would be (shakes her head) OLD SACRAMENTO...The name alone says it all.

If you like 19th century shops that close WAY BEFORE your grandmother goes to bed then you will adore Old Sac.

If you enjoying going to a club or a party and the cops are there at 12:45 AM to shut it down before it even gets started then by all means frequent Sacramento's downtown club area.

If you date inter-racially ie: Mexican woman/white male
black woman/white male East Indian woman/white male or vice versa) and LOVE the blank stares from various onlookers, then move here.

If you like waking up, thanking God it's Saturday and cant wait to find something exciting or fun to attend,(festivals, picnic's, or shows) only to find out NOTHING is going on and you have to DRIVE to the bay for entertainment then step right up.

If you want to dress a certain way and be mocked by modern day yuppies for expressing individual creativity then you my friend are in the right place. Welcome Home

Life is Hard....If you don't wanna end up with all these additional problems I would suggest San Fransisco, Berkley, or Oakland.

Good Luck

You obviously don't get out much, do you? Sacramento was listed on Forbes as one of the top 10 best cities for singles as recently as just 2 years ago. There is a bar on every corner around midtown. This is the best city I've been to BAR NONE for meeting people, bars, etc., and that includes the bay area. In SF you've gotta plan your entire night around parking and stick to one specific district. Here in Sac, you can get to anywhere, anytime, with no hassles.

I've also not seen any city as alive on the weekdays as Sac. Restaurants are packed on a wedsneday night with outdoor seating, same with bars/lounges, there is outdoor music concerts every week in the summer, always something going on at the capital, etc.

I've also never been to a city with as much diversity and acceptance of interracial dating in my entire life. Isn't it just common sense to see that interractial dating would be accepted in a city with no racial majority? In fact, it's pretty hard NOT to date outside of your race here.

This has got to be the stupidest thread I've ever had the displeasure of subjecting my eyes too.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
One of the things I thought was interesting about Sacto was that there were Sikh (more up toward Yuba City), Filipino and Portugese communities in the area, or people of that ancestry.
One of my GF's co-workers is a Sikh, and his family is all up in Yuba City. Nice guy.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Sacramento is fairly strongly democratic. Last election went 60/40 for Obama. Most bay area and LA counties went 70/30. Not a night and day difference as most outsiders like the OP would have you believe. I don't think a Republican has won Sacramento county in the last 40 years (or maybe even longer).

Sacramento is the most diverse and racially integrated city in the country despite what the OP says. I could go along and refute all of the rest of her points but it's a waste of my time since it's obvious the OP has never stepped foot in Sacramento and/or is just a troll.
That's what I've always heard. I rad somewhere recently that it was one of the better areas for racial diversity and perhaps even interracial dating. I've not spent much time there at all myself so I cannot say how true this is.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
You obviously don't get out much, do you? Sacramento was listed on Forbes as one of the top 10 best cities for singles as recently as just 2 years ago. There is a bar on every corner around midtown. This is the best city I've been to BAR NONE for meeting people, bars, etc., and that includes the bay area. In SF you've gotta plan your entire night around parking and stick to one specific district. Here in Sac, you can get to anywhere, anytime, with no hassles.

I've also not seen any city as alive on the weekdays as Sac. Restaurants are packed on a wedsneday night with outdoor seating, same with bars/lounges, there is outdoor music concerts every week in the summer, always something going on at the capital, etc.

I've also never been to a city with as much diversity and acceptance of interracial dating in my entire life. Isn't it just common sense to see that interractial dating would be accepted in a city with no racial majority? In fact, it's pretty hard NOT to date outside of your race here.

This has got to be the stupidest thread I've ever had the displeasure of subjecting my eyes too.
That's what I figured, thanks for confirming this. I've never heard the sorts of things about Sac as the OP said.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:06 AM

18 posts, read 39,520 times
Default Bitchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
First of all, people ***** about EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. Do you honestly think I can't spend 10 seconds on google and find people complaining about minorties moving into their neighborhood in San Francisco and LA? Just say the word and I'll provide you the links. Point is, people bitching is a constant you are going to deal with everywhere.

But with that said, there are virtually no racial tensions anywhere in Sacramento, and I say that as a minority. You can move into any neighborhood, including Folsom and Roseville, and you will not get looks and no one will bother you. There is also no stimga of interacial dating here, at all, in my experience. I see interacial couples everywhere and no one gives them a second look. I have been in plenty interacial relationships and currently in one right now.

Point is, you are using your own anedoctal evidence (which I don't even believe) to support your "argument" which I can prove is factually not true.

This is also true of anywhere else you're going to live. You will always have the snobs that live in the wealthy burbs that classify anywhere they don't live as ghetto. Sacramento is no different.
Well said, Majin! You're right, some people just like to *****.... it's just "their thing that they do".

I get that at work a lot....

Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I wonder if the OP is sitting back laughing at all our postings since she hasn't been back in 3 weeks?

nita

Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wonder if the OP is sitting back laughing at all our postings since she hasn't been back in 3 weeks?

nita
Perhaps she's being held prisoner in backwoods Alabama now. By people with banjos and red hair.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,295 times
The thread starter is so IGNORANT it's funny. Young (immature) lady, you haven't provided any facts, just lame opinion and this this thread itself is a flaming tomb of stupidity. It's more a cry of self importance and that somebody might care what you think about it, vs. anything else. Not true.

The bottom line is if you hate Sacramento so bad... here's an apple and a roadmap. You will not be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento