Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 AM
xmp xmp started this thread

30 posts, read 76,220 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Here I come with a dilemma that I am facing for the last couple of days, especially with CA's budget woes and what Gov has proposed for next year. Hopefully, someone who knows more than me can guide me on what should I do.

I have a job offer from state of California, with position located in Sacramento, for an entry level scientist position with salary of ~60k. Based on my education and experience, there are chances for promotion within a year or so. Being a scientist level position, I am thinking (or rather want to believe) that it might be a little secure job as it will not be very easy for someone else to come in and do the job. However, I could be wrong.

I will be taking a salary cut if I were to accept this CA position. However, I am inclined to take this cut, as at this point in my life I want to settle down with a stable job and not worry about getting laid off, especially with the economy as it is and there is almost certainty that many employees from my organization will be laid off, but dont know which ones and when.

I know that with CA budget woes, it does not look like a good decision for job stability, but this position is in a special funded project. It is a special funded project in the sense that it does not get any money from general fund, and as such they are less dependent on state money. However, they are going on 3 furlough days a month so as to be fair to others who are taking the furloughs. However, the money saved in this way is not going back to the state, but staying with the department. This is what I was told, and looks like a good sign to me. Also, the department doesn't anticipate any budget cuts as they are not dependent on State money for their budget, but still in the budget for 2010-11, if it comes to laying people off, I dont know what will happen to me.

My spouse should also be able to get a job, hopefully soon, in both public as well as private sector.

I am hoping that there are several people working for the state or who have better experience and can advice me that will make my decision easier. Basically, right now I am asking if I should take this offer or not?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Asked and answered in your original post, "Thinking about moving to Sacramento for job" yesterday. Either that or it's deja vu all over again!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:42 PM
xmp xmp started this thread

30 posts, read 76,220 times
Thanks for the reply in my earlier post. Since I didn't get much response in that one, I thought that if I post a thread with a subject that asks for the opinion about whether to make this move or not, may be I shall get a better response. In that post, I was mainly asking for place to live, schools, etc, whereas this one is focused on whether or not to take this job.

Hope more people can give their feedback.

Thanks to Curmudgeon once again.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 PM

322 posts, read 778,802 times
The economic crisis is supposed to get worse (see Dr. Housing Bubble Blog) so as long as your job is as recession-proof as you say, then why not go for it?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmp View Post
Thanks for the reply in my earlier post. Since I didn't get much response in that one, I thought that if I post a thread with a subject that asks for the opinion about whether to make this move or not, may be I shall get a better response. In that post, I was mainly asking for place to live, schools, etc, whereas this one is focused on whether or not to take this job.

Hope more people can give their feedback.

Thanks to Curmudgeon once again.
I understand. Best of luck. If you decide to do it I'd do so sooner rather than later. Knowing the state I expect a very hard (for CA) hiring freeze to be implemented no later than July 1 and there is still the possibility of reduced benefits coming for new hires. You would need to beat that.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,893,995 times
What is your next best alternative?

A job in Sacramento is better than no job somewhere else.

The state budget is precarious. See for yourself here. The continues to not bring in as much money as forecasted and continues to spend more money than forecasted.

California State Controller's Office : Summary Analyses of Statements of General Fund Cash Receipts

The courts have taken away the ability of the governor to furlough employees. So I assume that the state will make up for that by cutting labor by laying people off. In the past when the the state lays people off it has been last hired first fired.

If you have better job alternatives elsewhere, I would do that. But if you don't take your chances. Maybe the independent funding source will protect you.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
Furloughs haven't saved the state a dime, due to the increased costs of overtime (for the handful of state agencies that allow overtime during the furloughs), for contractors to provide services that furloughed state employees couldn't and wasted contractor time, and reduced tax income because employees in fee/tax collecting agencies being on furlough 3 days a month instead of collecting money.

So, considering that the amount of money the furlough actually saves is zero (if not negative), the amount of layoffs needed to make up the difference should also be zero.

The state of California isn't going to get any smaller, or any less complex, anytime soon. We are 49th out of 50 states when it comes to number of state employees per capita--only Illinois has fewer.

Last edited by wburg; 01-15-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,071 times
I would take the job with the state. The state may be one of the last employers offering benefits and pension plans in the future.

Also, look at this article about the future of working in America. Very interesting.

Future of America̢۪s workforce: permatemps - Careers- msnbc.com

Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,893,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Furloughs haven't saved the state a dime, due to the increased costs of overtime (for the handful of state agencies that allow overtime during the furloughs), for contractors to provide services that furloughed state employees couldn't and wasted contractor time, and reduced tax income because employees in fee/tax collecting agencies being on furlough 3 days a month instead of collecting money.

So, considering that the amount of money the furlough actually saves is zero (if not negative), the amount of layoffs needed to make up the difference should also be zero.
Any actual proof of this assertion or this just something you pulled out of thin air?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 PM

142 posts, read 534,686 times
In the mid 1990's, the woman my dad was then dating got laid off during another period of tough state budgets. They first offered early retirement to anyone who would take it. When that didn't reduce payrolls enough then they did last hired, first fired.

The budget is out of whack enough where they may do something similiar again. Especially since furloughs have been taken off the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento