Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM

61 posts, read 244,587 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I need help! I HATE Comcast. Our bill is well over $200 for exactly what we had with Cablevision (back East) and paid $150 for (we have wireless internet, HD DVR, HBO and an additional basic box). Our DVR Box doesn't work, and now I have to drive out to Roseville to change it....

Anyway, we are seriously considering a move to Direct TV for our cable. However, I have heard horror stories about their customer service and spotty reception. I have never had satelite TV before - will it sometimes not work? Will bad storms (like today's) knock out my TV? Is it easy to order on-demand movies, or is it hit and miss? Normally I would just switch because it is cheaper with a lot more channels. However, Direct TV wants a two year commitment, and that worries me. Why would they want such a commitment if they were secure that their service was good???

So, anyone make the switch and regret it? BTW, I live in Gold River/Rancho Cordova (don't know if that makes a difference). What should I do? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM

79 posts, read 220,650 times
I have had pretty good results with Dish. I don't have a 2 year contract.

Storms have not been a problem at all. I had no problems with on demand programs.

What I would do is contact Dish and first make sure they offer the channels you are interested in, and figure out how long of a time commitment they want for a contract. If they have the channels you are interested in and the contract is shorter than directtv, I would go with Dish.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,335 times
Dude, I hear you, Comcast blows. You get the least amount of channels for the most amount of money. The best option right now in my opinion is AT&T U-Verse, they carry the MOST HD channels in the area but it is only available in certain areas. Go to AT&T's website and punch in your address to see if it is available to you. Out of the two satellite companies Dish Network is superior in channels and cost but Directv has the best sports packages hands down out of any carrier. If any of the Directv sports packages like Sunday Ticket are important to you then go with Directv. If not go with Dish, great channel value, lots of HD channels and a great interface. Here is a good chart someone made with all of the different options:

Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 01/10/10! - AVS Forum

Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM

139 posts, read 832,026 times
I used to be with Comcast... now with Dish.. I LOVE it! I have never had an issue with their customer service... and it is pretty darn cheap. Never had any issues during storms...

As far as the "why would you do a 2 year committment question"... well, that is standard if you're getting something free. Sattelite has very expensive equipment - you're getting a dish free and often times even the box... not to mention installation.

With cable - all they do is flip a switch.

That is the reason for the contract.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
Go with satellite (whether it be Directv or Dish) and ditch Comcast. I have Directv and feel I get more bang for my dollar. I've been with them for 13 years already with virtually no complaints other than a brief couple of seconds of "rain fade" that occur a few times a year.
The best part is, I get all my networks + locals from San Francisco. The Bay Area local news operations are far superior than Sacramento's hokey stations with much, much better regional and national news coverage.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 PM

212 posts, read 476,085 times
Default Dishtv or Directv

Actually, I had Directv for 10-11 years. I pestered them a few months ago about offers for DVR, or HD service... (yeah, I'm a bit in the prehistoric 'bout some things). I just wanted some "come on", considering how long I had been a loyal customer. Anyhow, it was like trying to get blood from a turnip. They offered nothing (called 2x, emailed 2x).

Anyhow, turned to Dishtv. Signed up online. Set up the next day. I couldn't be happier. The only time there is an issue is with HD during heavy, heavy rains (which actually was worse with Directv).

My suggestion: go with whichever offers the better "come on". Sign the 2 year contract, and then switch every 2 years. I had the two different dishes put side by side, so I can just flip to the other every 2 years...

Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I have Dish and I love it. The only time I lose reception is when my dish gets covered in snow, which thankfully is a once or twice a year event.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Thumbs down Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
The best part is, I get all my networks + locals from San Francisco. The Bay Area local news operations are far superior than Sacramento's hokey stations with much, much better regional and national news coverage.
Traitor.

You are part of the problem and are a sickness is Sacramento. Please leave and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out

Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,335 times
I think all local news is garbage wherever you go.

"A common household product may be deadly to your family. Tonight at 11"

"A woman was raped in a Wendy's parking lot yesterday"

"A local man is being called a hero after rescuing a cat out of a tree"

"You local WNBA team that nobody cares about won tonight"

Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michcoop99 View Post
Hi All,
I need help! I HATE Comcast.
This seems to be a common complaint.

When I lived in Minneapolis, I was forced to get Comcast when Comcast took over Time Warner. Well, I wasn't literally forced, there was just no other option for a cable connection and Dish, etc. required installation of the satellite dish which my landlord was not cool with. I never had a problem with them and I have heard zero complaints from my Minneapolis brethren.

However, everyone I know in Sacto who had Comcast moans and groans about them to no end. What for? I understand that Sacramento is a different market, but it is the same company, right?

My mom, who lives in Sacto, has Dish network I believe. She was moaning about it the other day, but to be honest I can't recall why. She wants to switch to something else, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigep739 View Post
As far as the "why would you do a 2 year commitment question"... well, that is standard if you're getting something free. Satellite has very expensive equipment - you're getting a dish free and often times even the box... not to mention installation.

With cable - all they do is flip a switch.

That is the reason for the contract.
The dish and box are relatively cheap to produce, which is why these sort of things are often offered free. The expensive parts are the actual satellite, well launching the satellite into space and paying employees.

As for the two year agreement....this is to ensure that the company gets paid, plain and simple. Break the contract, and you are legally obligated to still pay them the remainder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
"A local man is being called a hero after rescuing a cat out of a tree"
Honestly, this would be the top news story around here (in Maine). When I first moved here I laughed, this is what they call the news!? But now I am glad to live in a place where murder, arson, and the scam of the week to watch out for does not dominate the nightly news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento