Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM

33 posts, read 90,180 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in any information on Jackson, CA. good or bad. How is life in the city limits, or should we move farther up the hill, say to Pine Grove? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Think small town with a WalMart, Safeway, and a few chains in the area. There is a Lowe's or Home Depot there too.

It is the typical Motherlode town, somewhat a distant suburban satellite of Sacramento. Radio and television comes out of Sacramento. Both the Sacramento Bee and the Stockton Record are sold in the town, as well as the local paper. There is limited community college courses available through Los Rios Community College District out of Sacramento, and this will be expanded in the very near future.

Closest major shopping is along the US-50 corridor, Folsom to Rancho Cordova.

Climate in the town is very close to that of Sacramento, with more rain and less fog in the winter. Summer nights are a little warmer unless you are about 3000 ft elevation.

If you like history you will love the area. I'm a big fan of Gold Rush history. Amador County has numerous mines still visible from the roads throughout the area. One of the best places to see this is the road that goes through the New Chicago area between Drytown and Amador City (Bunker Hill Rd and Freemont Mine Rd).

Amador City is a wannabe-artsy town which kind of look like some of the pictures of European towns above Hwy 49.

Overall, it is a nice area, but a little out there for people who are accustomed to having everything urbana within 10 minutes.

If you are considering Jackson, also look at Sutter Creek.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
After LA, Jackson will seem like living at the end of the earth. Amador county is a wonderful place, just about anywhere you end up.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the replies! I am a big history nut as well, and was hoping, once we get settled in, to get involved with the Knight Foundry restoration that seems to be going forward:
http://www.knightfoundry.org/

Old 02-20-2010, 04:15 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,125 times
that's quite a change in lifestyle, do you mind me asking why you are making the decision to move to the Jackson area?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
that's quite a change in lifestyle, do you mind me asking why you are making the decision to move to the Jackson area?
Not at all, thanks for asking! When I met my wife 22 years ago she was living in Murphys and I was living in Tuolumne. We both really liked the Mother Lode but circumstances brought us to LA for her new job. We won't leave until our girls are out of High School in Cerritos, the education here is just too good. Since my wife now tele-commutes to Sacramento, Jackson seems like a reasonable choice when she does have to visit headquarters. Driving an hour vs. dealing with LAX once or twice a month - no comparison.
That and I am sick of living two blocks away from the 605 freeway, noise-wise and smog-wise. I know there is no place we could live that is quiet all the time; however, there is at least hope up on a couple acres in the foothills.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 PM

433 posts, read 1,618,763 times
Amador County is very nice. Be sure to check out all the wineries.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 27,406 times
My wife and I are making a similar move, from Torrance to the Calaveras County area. Matter of fact, the Realtor is coming over this afternoon to list our home...

We lived in Placer County (Colfax) many, many years ago and want to return to the foothills.

Good luck with your move!!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 PM

65 posts, read 275,663 times
How did your move go?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 27,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentledental4u View Post
How did your move go?
Not sure if the question was for the OP or me, however I will give you my update.

We listed the home in Torrance and it sold in one day, so we had to scramble to find a place. We ended up living with my MIL for a few months while we searched the foothills.

Our original plan was Calaveras County. We have Kaiser health insurance, but to live in the southern part of CC our insurance would have been over $200/mo more for a PPO.

We had friends suggest Placerville, which is in the Kaiser zip code range, and we found the area to our liking. We rented a home while we were looking to buy. It ended up taking a year to find the home/property we were looking for.

We found a home on 2 acres in the Pleasant Valley area of the Placerville zip code. Enough property to keep me busy planting fruit trees and berry bushes, build a chicken coop and start growing our own protein and carbs.

We are so glad we made the move and we are loving it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento