U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 76,595 times

Advertisements

I am being transferred to northern California. My new territory covers South Sacramento, Lodi, Tracy, Concord, Modesto, and Stockton. I would like to find a safe area, with good schools, has some character, where I can buy a home in the 500-600 price range (basic 3 bedroom). Needs to be a little open minded since we are a mixed-race couple. Other than the communities mentioned in the other thread, what about this area from South Sacramento on down? I've heard Davis is nice but I'm concerned this is too far out. I'm coming from Mesa, AZ. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 04:46 PM

424 posts, read 2,609,999 times
Default South of South Sac

My territory is also San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties along with Amador, Calaveras, and Tuolumne. My brother is in a mixed-race marriage too. Sacramento was just voted the most racially diverse (where people get along!) area in the country. The towns south of Sac have more Hispanic residents than Sacramento, but I think all are tolerant of all races.

For housing, your price range would allow you to find a home in most areas. With our high heat lately, you may feel like you never left the southwest. I feel the best areas in your territory are Ceres (near Modesto) and Turlock. There's lots of nice new construction in both areas. I'd stay away from many parts of Stockton and some parts of Modesto. There are nicer areas in Modesto also, but be careful if you look there.

The schools are best in Turlock or the smaller communities in the area. Modesto City Schools are having troubles with fiscal solvency and Stockton has consistently low test scores and high poverty.

If you want to stay closer to Sacramento, Elk Grove, Laguna, and the Pocket Area all have nice homes and good schools. Elk Grove is the fastest growing city in the US as of a couple of weeks ago. Just be sure to do your homework before you choose where to live. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 PM

88 posts, read 241,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by est8law
I am being transferred to northern California. My new territory covers South Sacramento, Lodi, Tracy, Concord, Modesto, and Stockton. I would like to find a safe area, with good schools, has some character, where I can buy a home in the 500-600 price range (basic 3 bedroom). Needs to be a little open minded since we are a mixed-race couple. Other than the communities mentioned in the other thread, what about this area from South Sacramento on down? I've heard Davis is nice but I'm concerned this is too far out. I'm coming from Mesa, AZ. Thanks
Hi! I live in Elk Grove, CA . I would say it's pretty much the middleground of where your territory is going to be. Davis is a nice college town but would be too far of a commute to get to Stockton. Elk Grove is is 30 min from Davis, 30 min to Lodi, 45 min to Tracy,35-40 min to Stockton, and about an hour to Concord.

Lodi is a nice town too but smaller than Elk Grove. Elk Grove has a lot to offer as far as shopping and restaurants and is minutes away from Downtown Sac. I wouldn't recommend Stockton.

Funny how you're relocating to our area. We are on our way out to relocate for my husbands company. There are lots of homes here in Elk Grove and the Elk Grove Unified school district is excellent.

removed

P.S. Sacramento/Elk Grove area is pretty diverse. There are lots of mixed race couples/families.

Last edited by Marka; 08-01-2006 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 76,595 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate both of you taking the time to reply.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 42,847 times
I would suggest you stay away from south sacramento... Crime and poverty are on the rise... Lot's of asian gangs... Pocket area, Elk Grove and south is your best bet.... Also if your looking for some land check out Wilton....

Old 09-29-2006, 11:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,190,618 times
South Sacramento is awful. I would say definately Elk Grove, but keep in mind that if you have to go into Sacramento that during rush hour traffic can really be gridlocked. Also the closest airport is north of downtown Sacramento.

Hope to help.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 AM

313 posts, read 803,087 times
I would stay away from Stockton and Lodi!!! Stockton is really really bad...gangs and poverty. Lodi is getting bad with gangs as well. Elk Grove seems like a nice area. I personally wouldn't move to Ceres. There are nicer areas in Modesto but do your research if you go there. Turlock is pretty nice and I hear much better now that there are 2 high schools. I grew up in Modesto and Turlock and currently live in Stockton, let me know if you have any questions about the area. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2006, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 45,758 times
El grove is good but stay away between Sac and Elkgrove.You do not want to commute north bound on 5 north of Elk grove.Davis would be a good opposite commute.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 17,518 times
Talking Raised in ElkGrove and SouthSAC

I was raised in South Sac and moved around Sacramento , Elk grove , Granite Bay , Folsom. 2002 Sold a couple of homes in Natomas..
Family is there as well.. I hate it there.. NO jobs . Gangs! Racially mixed but mentally not diverse. ( small town mentality ) Schools sucks.
Don't worry i can say that i am asian and educated. No worries we not all there either ..

So from experience.. If you dont have to be in SAC stay Away!! Don't know what statistic " sacramento most diverse " . my suggestion .Come here if you like to fish. great fishing. Davis is good. Bay area is good.. realestate sucks now. It took my sister 1 year to sell her new home in elk grove. oh yeah i live in bay area now, i go to sac to visit

LOL goodluck. u gonna need it if you move to elk grove..

Old 01-21-2007, 09:00 AM

433 posts, read 2,285,038 times
I would want to look at Brentwood, Discovery Bay, Tracy and possibly Manteca.
There might be some nice properties around Lockeford/Camanche Reservoir/Linden or the other small towns closer to the Sierra foothills.

Discovery Bay would appeal to you if you like to boat/golf.

Sounds like you will be doing some driving in that large territory.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento