Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Midwesterners considering move to Oakland or Sacramento, seeking information on housing costs, public school system, marketing and communication job resources

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times

Advertisements

My wife worked as a school teacher for 3 years. Needless to say, she quit because the system, at least for her district was pretty bad. The name of the game for many in CA is this: If you want to live in a district with a good school expect to pay A LOT more to buy a house there. Not to mention that houses in California are in general 2-4 times more than the national average. Tack on an extra 15-20% to the price if the house sits within a 'good' school district. Even if you rent, expect to get your kids on a waiting list just to get in. By the time my wife quit, virtually all extra-curricular activities were axed including band, gym class, field trips, and music classes. Most schools that still have these are either private or in more wealthy areas where parents actually donate money to the schools. Even the school buildings themselves are often sub-par. Half off the buildings at the place my wife taught weren't buildings: they were trailers. You'll see that a lot throughout the state. Something like 50% off the kids in the Bay Area are sent to private schools.

Overall, California ranks as one of the worst states to raise a family. I don't have kids, but if I did I would consider another state. As far as expense goes, Sacramento is a bit more reasonable in costs. They overbuilt the hell out of that place and housing prices are coming down. So if you can afford to wait a year or 2, the prices will likely be lower. I still see smaller modest homes there in the 250-300k range ( and we're talking a smaller 2-3 bedroom deal)

But... job market wise, it for sure has that going for it. Craigslist.org is your best bet. 70-100k a year jobs are handed out like candy here. Again- just be aware that a 100k salary means you'll be amongst the new California middle class.If you come to buy at current prices and live comfortably, set your family income at the 175-200k income range because that's about what it takes now to live a normal middle class living standard as you're probably used to in MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 04:04 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
So let me ask this. If my wife has a choice of working in Oakland or Sacramento which would be a better place to work? She's with the federal government so it's one of those things that when they call to give you the news, you have to make a choice right then, or possibly lose out. That is what happened when we relocated to Minnesota.

Just want to get as much info up front as possible. Thanks again!!

Last edited by Hoosier; 06-24-2007 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
So let me ask this. If my wife has a choice of working in Oakland or Sacramento which would be a better place to work? She's with the federal government so it's one of those things that when they call to give you the news, you have to make a choice right then, or possibly lose out. That is what happened when we relocated to Minnesota.

I'd pick Sacramento if you love the Midwest. Oakland can be cool, but it's expensive and difficult to find good public schools, though there are plenty of good private schools. The East Bay has a lot a things going for it, but it's nothing like the Midwest. Sacramento is. My husband and I are both from the Midwest, having lived in Illionis, Michigan and Wisconsin, so I know what I'm talking about.

If you're looking for friendly, liberal Minnesota-like, you'll find it in Davis. If you want to live in Sacramento, have good elementary schools (actually, the highest ranked in the region, even over Davis) and be reminded of Midwest neighborhoods, pick Land Park. Prices are high, but it's a great area. It's easy on/off I-80, so visiting relatives in Dixon wouldn't be difficult.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw68 View Post
I'd pick Sacramento if you love the Midwest. Oakland can be cool, but it's expensive and difficult to find good public schools, though there are plenty of good private schools. The East Bay has a lot a things going for it, but it's nothing like the Midwest. Sacramento is. My husband and I are both from the Midwest, having lived in Illionis, Michigan and Wisconsin, so I know what I'm talking about.

If you're looking for friendly, liberal Minnesota-like, you'll find it in Davis. If you want to live in Sacramento, have good elementary schools (actually, the highest ranked in the region, even over Davis) and be reminded of Midwest neighborhoods, pick Land Park. Prices are high, but it's a great area. It's easy on/off I-80, so visiting relatives in Dixon wouldn't be difficult.
Thanks! The midwest feel would be really nice to have while still being in Calif. And one of the things we love about Minnesota is the Minnesota-Nice that it's well known for here. I will definitely plug in Land Park into realtor.com to see what housing prices are. I do know my BIL & SIL said Davis is like only 8 miles from Dixon so Sacramento can't be too much further? Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times
Oh you'll love it here, and then it will tear your heart out when you realize how much it will cost you to live here. Absolutely tear it out. I feel like a scorned lover, I really do. Sacramento is cheaper, but less desirable, the east bay is great, better schools, but you'll pay for it. Trust me. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Regarding the education system in California, I suppose a lot of the negative comments are based on the low test scores of the students. But consider this, I suspect you will find that probably a fifth to a third of the students statewide are ESL or are from ESL homes. That has a major impact on overall testing and class room performance. However, if you speak English as a first language, ensure that your child is placed in the classes commensurate with her ability, and that you and her teachers don't let your expectations of her preformance slide to match the overall school system environment, she will receive an education far superior to what the state test scores indicate is average.
In some places it is upwards of 50%...other areas even higher...
MBG

Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Oh you'll love it here, and then it will tear your heart out when you realize how much it will cost you to live here. Absolutely tear it out. I feel like a scorned lover, I really do. Sacramento is cheaper, but less desirable, the east bay is great, better schools, but you'll pay for it. Trust me. Good luck.
With family already living there I've heard the stories of how expensive it is to live there. The Twin Cities aren't far behind in cost, so we well understand. For my wife and I we truly believe the Lord is directing our path out there. It's something we've talked about but never really considered until now. We know that it will all work out as we lay it in His hands. Of course we'll by workin' our rear ends off and doing a lot of praying too...but he'll work out the details to make it a smooth transition for us.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,449 times
Quote:
With family already living there I've heard the stories of how expensive it is to live there. The Twin Cities aren't far behind in cost, so we well understand. For my wife and I we truly believe the Lord is directing our path out there. It's something we've talked about but never really considered until now. We know that it will all work out as we lay it in His hands. Of course we'll by workin' our rear ends off and doing a lot of praying too...but he'll work out the details to make it a smooth transition for us.
We just left Cali after 40+ years for the midwest! Hoosier, hey if you make the move everything will work out fine. Great people in Cali! It will be a change for sure but hey it's always good to get out there and check out other parts of this awesome country! If this goes down...the best of luck to you and your family

Old 06-01-2007, 09:38 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
Quote:

I would chose Sacramento if I were you, just a better quality of life than the bay area. Yes, San Francisco is one of the MOST beautiful cities in the country. That being said, being in Sacramento, you can certainly visit the city any time you like and not have to put up with all the bad that does encompass every city.

We had friends that lived in an apartment (can't remember the neighborhood name now as it escapes me) but he had a nice view of the Golden Gate. Six years ago, he paid 2500.00 in rent for a 900 sq ft apartment.

I used to work in the City or commute there once a week from Sacramento.

Oakland is a whole other ball of wax. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Oakland.

As someone else mentioned, if you want to live close to Dixon, Davis is a great choice if you love the City. Davis has a great feel and wonderful charm. It is very liberal so if you like that sort of university feel, then it would be a great choice for you. A lot of people ride bikes and such.

There are quite a few communities in the Sacramento Valley and there are great people on the Sacramento Board that can help you!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Before you absolutely commit to Sacramento. Consider this option. If your wife is working in Oakland see if you can manage to swing the cost of housing in the city of Alameda. Alameda (pop 71k) is an island right next to Oakland that's connected to the mainland by a couple of short bridges. The public high school was rated by Newsweek(??) as about the 450th best public high school in the country. I think that puts it somewhere above the 95% percentile. Just checked the stats, about 45% of the adults have college degrees. The city is safer than average, and the island gives it a self-contained small town feel. It's very walkable, with Victorian/Craftsman homes from the Teens and 20's, plus some newer sections. And the weather will be a lot milder than Sacramento if that's what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento