Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Midwesterners considering move to Oakland or Sacramento, seeking information on housing costs, public school system, marketing and communication job resources

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have a distinct opportunity to move to California. The 2 offices she has to choose from are located in Oakland & Sacramento. We don't know which one she will get but are hoping to get some inside info on California.

I was just visiting San Francisco and Dixon last week and had a blast. We had no idea this was coming down when we visited. We have family in Dixon so in regards to housing we'd want to stay fairly close to them. Any thoughts on where to live? Schools are of utmost importance to us. Minnesota has some of the best schools in the nation so it's tough to even consider leaving here, but jobs like this don't come around too often.

I have a strong possibility of keeping my job but telecommuting. But on the chance I don't keep it, any recommendations outside of Monster, CareerBuilder etc. in the Marketing, Communications field either in Sacramento or SF area? I know there are probably a plethora of jobs, but any specific great companies to consider? Thank you for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
In coming here from Minnesota with the strong education associated with that area, I would think Davis would be your best bet. It is pretty close to Dixon and has outstanding schools.

The area is really nice too, kind of a college town (kind of like Dinkytown area in Minneapolis). The school, Cal Davis, is top notch too.

For bigger city stuff, downtown Sacramento is less than 20 minutes away, and San Francisco an hour (if traffic is OK).

Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM

177 posts, read 815,115 times
Oh goodness!! Do yourself a massive favour and stay in Minnesota!!! The education system here will drive you completely nuts!!! My hubby and I are looking to move to MN just as soon as a job transfer is finalised. And we can't wait!!! MN is in the top 10 for education and guess where CA is? The bottom 5!!! And it really shouldn't be the case but it is. The schools here regard money as more important than anything, certainly more important than the quality of education and it becomes very apparent, very quickly how bad it is to an outsider especially, who has obviously seen other systems working far more effectively and efficiently!! Believe me, I know!!! Mumof3

Old 05-31-2007, 02:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
Hoosier, what are you trying to find that is not in the mid-west??
MBG

Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Geez, California is a wonderful place to live. And I came here last year from the midwest.

Here is a link to the Davis school site, neighbors have told me their schools are great, but I have no firsthand knowledge:

Welcome to the Davis Joint Unified School District

Here is a link to ratings of California schools:

DataQuest (CA Dept of Education)

And for those comparing Minnesota to California, spend a summer in Minnesota and tell me how you like the lakes and their impact on the mosquito population. Subsequently, spend a January there, and tell me how you enjoy outdoor activities. Minnesota has some wonderful attributes, but California has tremendous attributes too, and if you only go through life once...

Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Hoosier, what are you trying to find that is not in the mid-west??
MBG
It's a job promotion for my wife. Plus being close to family. Love the midwest and have lived here the majority of my life.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Sooooo... you really did fall in love, huh? I'll PM you later, since I was meaning to anyway, and will give you some links & advice on all of this. All details aside, it would be very cool if you became a Californian!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sooooo... you really did fall in love, huh? I'll PM you later, since I was meaning to anyway, and will give you some links & advice on all of this. All details aside, it would be very cool if you became a Californian!
Yeah! Ironically I've almost always been anti-California, but the trip last week made me fall in love with the state and specifically San Francisco! I think it somehow reminded me of my time in Madrid (all the cultural stuff there and all the different languages I heard). And now that I've experienced In N Out burgers...nothing compares!

I guess traffic and cost of living aside my big concern is education as my daughter is in elementary school...and my son is soon to follow in '08-'09 school year. Look foward to your PM and some more recipes!! (hint, hint)

Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Unhappy Hmmm? Silly me:-0 I thought we were friends;-0

But that's okay . Doesn't really matter that I spent 7 yrs a few miles down the road from Dixon and 9+ yrs on the outskirts of Sacramento or lived 30 miles outside SF for quite some time . What do I know anyways ????

p.s.
Too late for apologies Hoosier guy !!!. My fees $$$ for information are higher than you can afford anyways!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:20 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Regarding the education system in California, I suppose a lot of the negative comments are based on the low test scores of the students. But consider this, I suspect you will find that probably a fifth to a third of the students statewide are ESL or are from ESL homes. That has a major impact on overall testing and class room performance. However, if you speak English as a first language, ensure that your child is placed in the classes commensurate with her ability, and that you and her teachers don't let your expectations of her preformance slide to match the overall school system environment, she will receive an education far superior to what the state test scores indicate is average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento