U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,124 times

Advertisements

1.What is the cost of utilities electric and gas?
2. Is it better to have a gas or electric washer and dryer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM

90 posts, read 209,543 times
I have posted this on another thread, but here is the honest truth. The utilities in Cameron Park are awfull and expensive. Your electricity will be PG&E: a nice enough company with extremely high rates. In a 1200 sft house, my bill was a minimum of $90 a month. I don't use a lot of lights, my computer and printer are turned off when not in use, and I had one light for my yard, which had the little screwball bulb. El Dorado Irrigation District is your water, and sewer. God help you. They are rude to deal with, my last bill for 2 months was $200, and they just raised their rates by 30-45%. You will be charged every way that they can think of. They also hand out $200,000 salaries like candy. The garbage is about $50 a month for 1x a week pick up with one garbage can and 1 recycle or 1 green. You will be left notes about where to place your cans, and if you do not comply, said garbage company will then refuse to pick up-whether the bill is paid or not. On top of this, you will need to deal with CSD:Cameron Park Services District. (El Dorado Hills has one also. CPK"S is similar to Poland under communism while EDHCSD is more like Russia under communism.) These people are in every portion of your home's life. ie when to roof, when to get a permit, dogs in parks, where to park around the mudhole they call a lake, etc. In addition, I also had a HOA to deal with. Yes, find out if your home is in an HOA, because many are. When I moved, I was informed that CSD does NOT allow you to turn off EID, so now my attorney is writing letters explaining the fact that I will no longer be responsible for a bill for a home I do not own. (They want the water and sewer on always.)
All in all, CPK is a pleasant enough burb but shopping requires you to drive to Folsom, Roseville, or Sac for anything other than groceries. Placerville is really struggling with this economy, half of their antique stores are now gone. It costs a lot more to live in CPK than it is worth. My opinion, and I was a 10 year resident.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

79 posts, read 323,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey2007 View Post
1.What is the cost of utilities electric and gas?
2. Is it better to have a gas or electric washer and dryer?
Hey, I just got my PG&E bill.

Here are the costs if you're on an electric baseline:
403.20 kwh baseline @ $.11877
101-130% of base @ $.13502
131-200% of base @ $.27572
201-300% of base @ $.40577
Over 300% of base @ $.47393

Gas baseline is 47.15 therms @ $1.03701 per therm
Over baseline is $1.28915 per therm

I'm on an electric baseline because my home is all electric. Only my hot water heater is gas. If you're heat, stove, etc., you'll be on a gas baseline.

If you will be on a gas baseline, you should either talk to someone who is also on a gas baseline or visit PG&E | Welcome (kind of hard to decipher the rates) or call PG&E.

It USED to be better to have a gas dryer. Now, natural gas is so expensive, it really doesn't matter. It's important to have whatever your baseline is. If you have a gas baseline, you will have a gas dryer and you should have a gas line wherever the dryer goes. If you're on electric, you'll have a plug, where you plug in your dryer.

IMO, gas dryers dry slightly better, but it's pretty much six of one, half a dozen of another.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM

79 posts, read 323,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanielGirl View Post
I have posted this on another thread, but here is the honest truth. The utilities in Cameron Park are awfull and expensive. Your electricity will be PG&E: a nice enough company with extremely high rates. In a 1200 sft house, my bill was a minimum of $90 a month. I don't use a lot of lights, my computer and printer are turned off when not in use, and I had one light for my yard, which had the little screwball bulb. El Dorado Irrigation District is your water, and sewer. God help you. They are rude to deal with, my last bill for 2 months was $200, and they just raised their rates by 30-45%. You will be charged every way that they can think of. They also hand out $200,000 salaries like candy. The garbage is about $50 a month for 1x a week pick up with one garbage can and 1 recycle or 1 green. You will be left notes about where to place your cans, and if you do not comply, said garbage company will then refuse to pick up-whether the bill is paid or not. On top of this, you will need to deal with CSD:Cameron Park Services District. (El Dorado Hills has one also. CPK"S is similar to Poland under communism while EDHCSD is more like Russia under communism.) These people are in every portion of your home's life. ie when to roof, when to get a permit, dogs in parks, where to park around the mudhole they call a lake, etc. In addition, I also had a HOA to deal with. Yes, find out if your home is in an HOA, because many are. When I moved, I was informed that CSD does NOT allow you to turn off EID, so now my attorney is writing letters explaining the fact that I will no longer be responsible for a bill for a home I do not own. (They want the water and sewer on always.)
All in all, CPK is a pleasant enough burb but shopping requires you to drive to Folsom, Roseville, or Sac for anything other than groceries. Placerville is really struggling with this economy, half of their antique stores are now gone. It costs a lot more to live in CPK than it is worth. My opinion, and I was a 10 year resident.
You're so PO'd against PG&E, I just can't resist. PG&E has or is still installing SmartMeters throughout it's service area. First, this allows PG&E to read your meter remotely (which could be a cost saver), but it also allows PG&E to turn down or turn off your electricity to prevent rolling blackouts, and if they feel you're using too much energy.

There are some positives. If you have kids, the schools are good. Pondo is an excellent high school. Financially speaking, it is a good time to buy a home in the all along CPK, Rescue, ELDH, etc.

I hope things are better for you now

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM

77 posts, read 286,900 times
Isn't PG&E that dirty company that got sued in the Erin Brockovich movie?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM

90 posts, read 209,543 times
You're so PO'd against PG&E, I just can't resist. PG&E has or is still installing SmartMeters throughout it's service area. First, this allows PG&E to read your meter remotely (which could be a cost saver), but it also allows PG&E to turn down or turn off your electricity to prevent rolling blackouts, and if they feel you're using too much energy.
************************************************** *************************************
And you think that this is a positive?? I also had an all electric house. Including heat. Trust me, in 10 years, PG&E never offered me any sort of discount, baseline break, or anything else. As I said, a nice enough company with extremely high rates. I have an apartment now in Elk Grove with more square footage but SMUD being the difference. My electric bill is now never over $60 a month. Even in the summer with the air conditioning going.
I miss the beauty of El Dorado County, I miss the snow in the wintertime, I miss the rural feeling of the county, I miss dealing with the people of the area who for the most part are extremely nice and friendly. Eventually, when I finish school, I will move back. But-with well water and a solar system.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM

532 posts, read 1,388,012 times
In Cameron Park, some of the homes built in the 1970s era are all electric. I have friends who are all electric, but they use a pellet stove in winter to heat as the electric is expensive. Cameron Park is not on piped natural gas. We use propane up here. I have an electric washer and propane dryer. Not that much difference in utilities than what I paid in So Cal.

PG&E was GREAT at restoring service when we had an incredible snowstorm in the county in Dec 2009. We were only out for about 3 hours. Kudos to PG&E for their hard work and for working in freezing temps and icy weather!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM

144 posts, read 601,086 times
Expect to pay out of your nose. While we love living in Cameron Park, we loathe the utilites. Propane is horribly expensive, and PG&E isn't a bargain either. This winter has been brutal on our utility bill. My advice, get a wood burning stove and hang your clothes out to dry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento