Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,529,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
I completely agree.

Catastrophic health care insurance
Auto insurance
Home insurance
...these are functional systems because many pay small amounts, and a very few have to "cash in" because of catastrophic events.

Health care insurance which covers most or all aspects of health care is only a renamed path to socialized health care.

Life is completely subject to pain, deformation, and death... No system of government, no matter how invasive, can change this.

Here, for the last few centuries, natural competition has allowed some to do very well, and as a byproduct raise the standard of living for all others. The underlying "selfish" behavior engenders the will to persevere, achieve, and obtain.

Take away the threat of loss, pain, fear, failure... and nothing needs to be achieved. It is why systems of government which provide too much to the people, and necessarily control most of the property and means of production, eventually have to lead with the whip.
I would agree with your post except I don't see this being directly related to "achievements" or giving people incentive to be productive. If I fall ill to a genetic disease that bankrupts me and my family, what does that have to do with my drive for achievement or my will to be a productive member of society? There are countless situations in the current health care system where you could lose everything you've worked hard for. I don't see the threat of pain, loss, and/or death as being necessary in these cases as incentives for people to be more productive. It's not as if we solved this issue that Americans would end up being less productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM

212 posts, read 474,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I would agree with your post except I don't see this being directly related to "achievements" or giving people incentive to be productive. If I fall ill to a genetic disease that bankrupts me and my family, what does that have to do with my drive for achievement or my will to be a productive member of society? There are countless situations in the current health care system where you could lose everything you've worked hard for. I don't see the threat of pain, loss, and/or death as being necessary in these cases as incentives for people to be more productive. It's not as if we solved this issue that Americans would end up being less productive.

...regrettably, it matters not now. As all democracies eventually do, the mass has added another "right" and taken away a liberty. Just remember yesterday, years from now when you lament the poor quality of health care provided as a basic "right" by the government, remember yesterday.

...and as OUR government's taxes dim the dreams of your children and grandchildren remember what this generation of voters and politician did.

Many believe health care to be appropriate benefit from living in this country. Other than basic triage-level care and free clinics for the indigent poor in large cities, I do not. With this foundational difference, many will not be able to understand my assertion.

As a government provides more... ...an ever increasing graduated tax must evolve.

Both increasing graduated taxation and increasing basic benefits directly inhibit personal incentive and retards personal growth.

Concerning your query, "catastrophic health care insurance" should cover "catastrophic events", like severe genetic disease... or accidents. Threat of pain, loss and/or death is the prime motivator of growth and living life. ...and should motivate health living. If you are to have liberty, to truly grow and prosper, you must have the latter... ...which is why I worry when the two are inappropriately intertwined... ...see above.

Oh, by the by, I have direct familiarity with a few human genetic diseases, I guarantee in the next decade research and development for appropriate therapies will dry up for most, at least in this country. Regrettably, with a single payer system, "herd management" will prevail.

Last edited by AwayAndBackToSac; 03-22-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,529,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Oh, by the by, I have direct familiarity with a few human genetic diseases, I guarantee in the next decade research and development for appropriate therapies will dry up for most, at least in this country. Regrettably, with a single payer system, "herd management" will prevail.
What passed today didn't include a single-payer system, nor a public option - which was feared to drive private insurers out of the market. Are you just assuming the bill will send us down that road eventually due to the introduction of subsidies and the expansion of Medicaid to cover more low-income people? Those are the two most expensive costs in the bill by far.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM

212 posts, read 474,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
What passed today didn't include a single-payer system, nor a public option - which was feared to drive private insurers out of the market. Are you just assuming the bill will send us down that road eventually due to the introduction of subsidies and the expansion of Medicaid to cover more low-income people? Those are the two most expensive costs in the bill by far.

Personally, I believe the "public option" was always a ruse. Increasing subsidies and increasing the Medicaid/Medicare rolls is a "public option"... Medicare sets the reimbursement baseline. All they have to do is continue to decrease reimbursement, and then decry the loss of the private sector health care providers (insurance, physicians, hospitals), to rationalize starting overt socialized health care. Whiz-bang: two tier system... If they continue to let a private sector exist... They may not because it will be difficult to entice physicians in the US to work for very low wages. Although, they could import physicians, like Europe does.

This all ties into my original post. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to get dialysis, chemo, CABG, CT scans, MRI's, etc... Or just a decent physician who cares... because, I have never seen my friends who are physicians so dejected.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:28 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,237,252 times
I'm just popping in as I haven't read any of this thread, what is this topic about? The HCR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento