Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 28,135 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Nevada City/Grass Valley within the next year or so. We are both 23. I recently finished up my master's degree in speech-language pathology, and have already seen job listings for the area, but I've also been looking in Auburn and Roseville just to be safe. I've visited the area several times since we are so close (Marysville right now), and love it, and know I would enjoy living there. My only concern would be the commute on the 49 if I did end up working in Auburn or Roseville. I just recently drove it in February and had no problem with it, although I am concerned about what the road would be like in more severe winter weather. Are the road conditions particularly dangerous or icy at certain times in winter? I really do not mind windy mountain roads in general, and in fact enjoy driving them most of the time, but I wanted to know what the winter conditions were like since I haven't visited the area during harsher weather.

Any info would help. And if you happen to know if any of the schools in the area are looking for speech-pathologists, let me know!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 AM

322 posts, read 778,843 times
23?? OMG you will be bored to death there! That is past the age where the kids move *out* of Nevada County. They roll up the sidewalks at about 6pm. I have a 23 year old daughter and I cannot *imagine* her ever living there, being at the beginning of the most important period of her life. The night life is small and in Nevada City; just a bunch of drunks hanging out at the local bars there. Of course, its picturesque and historic, but the people are cliquish and often not very friendly at all. Good luck.

Last edited by heartfocus; 06-05-2010 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 08:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzamaphone View Post
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Nevada City/Grass Valley within the next year or so. We are both 23. I recently finished up my master's degree in speech-language pathology, and have already seen job listings for the area, but I've also been looking in Auburn and Roseville just to be safe. I've visited the area several times since we are so close (Marysville right now), and love it, and know I would enjoy living there. My only concern would be the commute on the 49 if I did end up working in Auburn or Roseville. I just recently drove it in February and had no problem with it, although I am concerned about what the road would be like in more severe winter weather. Are the road conditions particularly dangerous or icy at certain times in winter? I really do not mind windy mountain roads in general, and in fact enjoy driving them most of the time, but I wanted to know what the winter conditions were like since I haven't visited the area during harsher weather.

Any info would help. And if you happen to know if any of the schools in the area are looking for speech-pathologists, let me know!

Thanks so much!
I certainly can't help you with the job situation, but I can say, the area is a perfect place to live in my estimation. That part of Ca is my favorite, that, Paradise, small towns near Tahoe, etc. Anything just north or east of Sac would probably be the only place we would ever consider living in again. Now if you world consists of parties, bars, busy night life, that is a totally different story.

Nita

Old 06-05-2010, 02:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
My wife gets ill if we drive south on the 49 below the 80. Very windy and a lot of switch backs. South of the 50 it is nice and mellow. She grew up off the 49 in Jamestown.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 28,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
23?? OMG you will be bored to death there! That is past the age where the kids move *out* of Nevada County. They roll up the sidewalks at about 6pm. I have a 23 year old daughter and I cannot *imagine* her ever living there, being at the beginning of the most important period of her life. The night life is small and in Nevada City; just a bunch of drunks hanging out at the local bars there. Of course, its picturesque and historic, but the people are cliquish and often not very friendly at all. Good luck.
Lol. I can see where someone might think it'd be a boring place for a 23 year old. I'm not your typical 23 year old though (well, now 24). Got plenty of partying under my belt during undergrad and grad school. I'm pretty over that stage of my life now that I have the ability to be a bonafide grownup with a professional title. :P I love the area because it's full of beautiful hiking trails and outdoorsy things to do. I'm pretty simple, and find my own entertainment easily through hiking, biking, swimming, reading, gardening, cooking, etc. One might say I'm kind of a grandma for my age. ;P

Thanks for the replies though! Unfortunately Grass Valley will not be my destination for now. Just not enough job opportunities for either me or my boyfriend. I'll be heading back to southern California near my hometown of Ojai to be closer to family, and where my boyfriend will be able to find a job a bit more easily while he finishes his bachelor's degree. Perhaps someday I'll buy a house in Grass Valley or somewhere nearby.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM

That is what we are doing. I tried for years to work No CA, jobs are found in the obituaries. The job market is in So CA.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 20,553 times
My wife and I are looking into moving to the Grass Valley area when we retire in about 2 years. We're both from the LA area, but have been living in Salt Lake City for the past 20 years. We don't want to return to SoCal. We've been looking for someplace in NoCal and Grass Valley looks like a nice place to retire to. We're interested in hearing people's thoughts on that and would appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM

467 posts, read 777,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
They live in the Olivehurst/Marysville/Yuba City area right now, GV/NC is like a whole different planet. Also, we don't know what they do for fun, perhaps they prefer a mountain bike over alcoholism and unprotected secks with strangers (the modern definition of 'nightlife').

The few experiences I've had with people in GV/NC have been positive. I also have a couple of good friends that I later discovered are from the area.

Anyway, they don't get much snow at all, I don't think I'd worry about commuting on 49. You might have one or two 'bad' days a year and the traffic will probably be enough keep the road clear.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 AM

286 posts, read 677,873 times
Talking Ojai and Grass Valley Wow compared to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzamaphone View Post
Lol. I can see where someone might think it'd be a boring place for a 23 year old. I'm not your typical 23 year old though (well, now 24). Got plenty of partying under my belt during undergrad and grad school. I'm pretty over that stage of my life now that I have the ability to be a bonafide grownup with a professional title. :P I love the area because it's full of beautiful hiking trails and outdoorsy things to do. I'm pretty simple, and find my own entertainment easily through hiking, biking, swimming, reading, gardening, cooking, etc. One might say I'm kind of a grandma for my age. ;P

Thanks for the replies though! Unfortunately Grass Valley will not be my destination for now. Just not enough job opportunities for either me or my boyfriend. I'll be heading back to southern California near my hometown of Ojai to be closer to family, and where my boyfriend will be able to find a job a bit more easily while he finishes his bachelor's degree. Perhaps someday I'll buy a house in Grass Valley or somewhere nearby.
I have travelled as much as any person,period..so I here of Grass Valley and Ojai..how fortunate you people are to wake up with tha Sun.Now close your eyes and think of everything that you have seen or heard about Pittsburgh,Pa.I rest my case.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
I have travelled as much as any person,period..so I here of Grass Valley and Ojai..how fortunate you people are to wake up with tha Sun.Now close your eyes and think of everything that you have seen or heard about Pittsburgh,Pa.I rest my case.
I have no idea what you said, You rest your case, what case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento