Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times

Advertisements

Officially Calif again, plates on cars and passed my drivers license test.

Now would like to get new bank accounts. We have Chase, but want something different for personal accts. A credit union? Anyway, when I was in Sac years ago I had US Bank, but no longer really like them either. I did have Golden One for a while but it was just a savings acct.

Plus I also want to know the best bank for a business (small business), no loans or bells & whistles needed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I use Umpqua bank and apparently they have quite a few branches in the Sacramento Area.

Umpqua Bank - Locations & ATMs

Old 03-23-2010, 05:54 PM

142 posts, read 534,736 times
I would go back to the Golden One. Everyone else seems to nickle and dime you to death with fees. The Golden One has branches all over the area.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,430 times
Safe Credit Union.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:48 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Officially Calif again, plates on cars and passed my drivers license test.

Now would like to get new bank accounts. We have Chase, but want something different for personal accts. A credit union? Anyway, when I was in Sac years ago I had US Bank, but no longer really like them either. I did have Golden One for a while but it was just a savings acct.

Plus I also want to know the best bank for a business (small business), no loans or bells & whistles needed.

Thanks
If you can get Golden1 again, I'd go with them. They have a lot of branches in the Sac area and they don't screw people with sneaky fees.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,176 times
Check out First Northern Bank.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,557 times
Umpqua

Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,125 times
had the best experience with american river health pro cu but they merged with safe cu. Seems pretty much the same and is the best bank i've dealt with. I've previously had usbank, and golden 1.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 AM

28 posts, read 70,071 times
Different people have different ideas of what constitutes a good bank. If you are the type of person who doesn't carry a lot of cash around, so you end up hitting the ATM's frequently then what you care about most is probably the size and density of the atm network. In that case something like BofA or Wells Fargo might be a good idea. These banks have huge atm networks and if you go with them, you will minimize fees for using an ATM not owned by your bank.

If you care about minimizing fees for various transactions your best bet is probably one of the credit unions like Safe or Golden One.

But if you are just looking into maximizing interest on money deposited at the bank, I really have to say that the ING orange savings account is a probably your best bet.

ING DIRECT USA - Orange Savings Account (http://www.ingdirect.com/osa_work/ - broken link)

Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Default SAFEty first

I'd go with SAFE.
I got a car loan with them last year at a very good interest rate, so I ended up moving all my banking over to them from horrific BofA.
SAFE, as well as credit unions in general, do not 'nickel and dime' you the way the big banks do, or, arrange the order debits post to your account so they can charge you multiple overdraft fees if you should overdraft your account by a few cents. That happened to me a few years back when I overdrafted my account by .50 using an electric parking meter downtown. Three days later, two 'pending' charges that were already showing up on my account for several days conveniently posted at exactly the same time along with the .50 charge. Voila, 105 dollars in service fees. It's almost seems like Bank of America was waiting as long as possible to officialy post the charges to my account to see if I just might use my debit card again so they can screw me. And it's not just BofA, I hear most of the big banks do the exact same thing.
Credit unions don't pull that kind of baloney. When use your debit card the charge is 'paid' on the spot, case closed. None of that 'pending' for two or three days crap.
Plus, if you're worried about finding enough ATMs, the CU's are all linked to the same network. So, if you have SAFE, you can use a Patelco, Golden One, or other CU ATM and not be charged ATM fees.

Last edited by cityx; 04-04-2010 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento