Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 928 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband, young daughter and I are relocating in about 3 weeks. His job is in Stockton and we are scouring the local area to find a safe place to settle in for about a year with our daughter. Between City-Data, crimereports.com, meganslaw.com, apartment ratings, etc. it has been very difficult to determine where some of the safest areas are as information is often contradicting (ex. we were looking at Manteca, found some okay reviews, then found another forum last night discussing the massive crime and 5 person shooting that took place the night before). Can someone please give me some insight and suggestions; we are hoping to stay within a 30 mi. radius of Stockton. Thank you, in advance, for your help, I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,249,438 times
I don't know why you're posting here.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:18 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,690,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz9876 View Post
Hello,
My husband, young daughter and I are relocating in about 3 weeks. His job is in Stockton and we are scouring the local area to find a safe place to settle in for about a year with our daughter. Between City-Data, crimereports.com, meganslaw.com, apartment ratings, etc. it has been very difficult to determine where some of the safest areas are as information is often contradicting (ex. we were looking at Manteca, found some okay reviews, then found another forum last night discussing the massive crime and 5 person shooting that took place the night before). Can someone please give me some insight and suggestions; we are hoping to stay within a 30 mi. radius of Stockton. Thank you, in advance, for your help, I really appreciate it!
Most readers on this forum are in the Sacramento area. Try posting on the California forum. I hope you will be able to get the information you need.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM

762 posts, read 2,025,292 times
how far is Elk Grove? That is safe but not sure close enough

Old 03-25-2010, 05:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Galt and Lodi are two smallish communities less than 1/2 hour north of Stockton. Both are relatively safe areas to reside, and you should be able to find some homes for rent.

Lodi to downtown Stockton would be about 20-25 minutes in rush hour, and Galt is an additional 10 minutes.

Between the two areas, I kind of like Lodi. It has a small downtown area that has retained a bit of the small town feel, though as with many other areas some of the stores are now vacant. The area surrounding downtown has some very nice older housing, and is generally well kept up and somewhat looks like a lot of smaller midwestern cities. Lots of large older trees in the area give it a really different feel than a lot of California.

But both areas are fine, I wouldn't hesitate to live in either Galt or Lodi.

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-25-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 PM

771 posts, read 1,578,707 times
There's nothing wrong with Lodi or Galt. In fact, you're making a wise decision NOT living in Stockton. Its gang/drug warfare central, statistically, its probably more dangerous than Oakland, and Oakland is pretty damned bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento