U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 AM

35 posts, read 104,998 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I moved to San Rafael a year ago and love it. But it's just too dang expensive. I can afford a place up to about $1100/month. I'm trying to get an idea of any other places that are a little like north bay. one that has at least some eclectic neighborhoods. Some hippies, progressives, open-minded people with at least some type of alternative scene and plenty of nature to explore. I don't need a perfect neighborhood, but one with not too high of a crime rate. The job scene doesn't matter and racial diversity is a plus, but not necessary.

I want to be somewhat near the bay area but Sacramento is doable for me. I'm wondering if Santa Rosa is too conservative and suburban. East bay looks like a possibility, but there are so many communities that i wouldn't know where to start.
Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 PM

457 posts, read 1,056,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaussie View Post
Hi all. I moved to San Rafael a year ago and love it. But it's just too dang expensive. I can afford a place up to about $1100/month. I'm trying to get an idea of any other places that are a little like north bay. one that has at least some eclectic neighborhoods. Some hippies, progressives, open-minded people with at least some type of alternative scene and plenty of nature to explore. I don't need a perfect neighborhood, but one with not too high of a crime rate. The job scene doesn't matter and racial diversity is a plus, but not necessary.

I want to be somewhat near the bay area but Sacramento is doable for me. I'm wondering if Santa Rosa is too conservative and suburban. East bay looks like a possibility, but there are so many communities that i wouldn't know where to start.
Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
If I was you, I would look into the Santa Rosa area. It's about 30 min from San Rafael. It is cheaper and some areas will have what you are looking for. I think a reasonable person could live in most communities so I would not worry about one being "too conservative."

You could also look into the East Bay but I am not sure of the current rental prices. I guess you could look at craigslist to get an idea of the price.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM

759 posts, read 1,741,928 times
Santa Rosa is cool for what you mentioned. There are a fair amount of hippies in area. The outlying areas are more suburban, Rohnert Park etc. More alternative towards Occidental, Guerneville etc. but certainly more rural. Santa Rosa is diverse.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM

402 posts, read 948,295 times
I have lived in both Santa Rosa and now Sacramento. SR has a decent nightlife and there are a lot of areas where you can find an alternative influence. The downside I would say is that the area is a bit more clichey than others in the bay. It seems as though a lot of people have grown up and attended highschool in Santa Rosa and never left. The downtown/5th street area does have a bit of the "vibe" that you are looking for though . . . . . as far as apartments go, what do you consider a high rent? A decent 1 BR is Santa Rosa is probably going to run you $900.

In contrast, Sacramento has a LOT more going on. Midtown is a hipster/alternative hub. You will find no shortage of flavor in this area. The area has its' own unique feel with trendy hair salons, coffee shops, art museums, restaurants, clothing stores, bars, and even a psychic reader or two. It's a very ethnically diverse city as well, with whites accounting for less than 50% of the total population, which provides more flavor.

The music scene here is healthy and alive (better than Santa Rosa) and you can find a decent 1 br apartment for $695 in Midtown. Much, much cheaper than anywhere in the north bay or Santa Rosa.

If I were you I'd come check out Midtown. Check out the entire area between about L St and 9th and S st. and about 27th. I like midtown and have had pretty good times here so far, much better than Santa Rosa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or