Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 13,472 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I moved to Sacramento about 3 weeks. I plan to open a new business as an S-Corp. Previously I've operated as a SP, which is cake to set up !

I'm extremely organized, a quick-learner, love research, and doing the legwork myself, but I have to admit my head exploded two days ago trying to determine the necessary steps to open an incorporated business !

I guess what I'm asking is, does a 'start a business' checklist, that includes the proper order of completing each task, form, permit, license, etc. exist ?

Has anyone worked with volunteers at SCORE or taken a Business 101 class through SBDC ? Are there other agencies you would recommend ?

I could never even get to a live person at the Sec'y of State's offices to ask a simple question such as whether an S-Corp uses the form for:
- Articles of Incorporation - Stock
- Articles of Incorporation - Close
- Articles of Incorporation - Professional

If I've developed an unusual name for the company, do I REALLY need to pay for a "Name Availability Inquiry" or can I shoot straight to the "Name Reservation Request" ?

Shall I YELP it to find a business attorney, an accountant and liability insurance ? What areas do I need to cover my legal butt that I can take care of myself, and what are best left to the professionals ?

As you can see, I have endless questions, but feel I just need a nudge or some simple explanations to get me moving.

Thank you kindly in advance !
Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatinCupe View Post
Hi Folks,

I moved to Sacramento about 3 weeks. I plan to open a new business as an S-Corp. Previously I've operated as a SP, which is cake to set up !

I'm extremely organized, a quick-learner, love research, and doing the legwork myself, but I have to admit my head exploded two days ago trying to determine the necessary steps to open an incorporated business !

I guess what I'm asking is, does a 'start a business' checklist, that includes the proper order of completing each task, form, permit, license, etc. exist ?

Has anyone worked with volunteers at SCORE or taken a Business 101 class through SBDC ? Are there other agencies you would recommend ?

I could never even get to a live person at the Sec'y of State's offices to ask a simple question such as whether an S-Corp uses the form for:
- Articles of Incorporation - Stock
- Articles of Incorporation - Close
- Articles of Incorporation - Professional

If I've developed an unusual name for the company, do I REALLY need to pay for a "Name Availability Inquiry" or can I shoot straight to the "Name Reservation Request" ?

Shall I YELP it to find a business attorney, an accountant and liability insurance ? What areas do I need to cover my legal butt that I can take care of myself, and what are best left to the professionals ?

As you can see, I have endless questions, but feel I just need a nudge or some simple explanations to get me moving.

Thank you kindly in advance !
Cat
I practiced law in Texas and taught "Choice of Business Entity" for the Small Business Development Center to layman. I'm not practicing in CA.

Really the answers to 95% of your questions can all be answered by taking a look at the business books section at Barnes & Noble. There are some good books that contain checklists for people who are operating as Sub-S Corps.

I could write out answers to all of your questions, but I'd be here for an hour or more to give detailed answers.

You could also call a local attorney and spend the money for about an hour of his or her time and you could get the answers that way too.

One thing about Sub-S's is the choice of how to take the money out of the business. This is especially something that you should talk to a good lawyer or CPA about.

Good Luck.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,472 times
Thanks Electro !

I bought two Nolo Press books specifically for CA off Amazon which were positively reviewed, they arrive tomorrow.

I also found an A-Z guide at finance dot saccounty dot net which includes short explanations and contact info for each department.

Thanks for your time !
Cat

Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I used Register.com to incorporate a CA business for a friend. I think it cost $395 and everything came in a nice package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: