Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

Publc servents from the fed govt to the cities have it made in the shade & the tax payer is paying for it. Nothing is going to change anytime soon. Getting any job thats paid for by the tax payer is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Publc servents from the fed govt to the cities have it made in the shade & the tax payer is paying for it. Nothing is going to change anytime soon. Getting any job thats paid for by the tax payer is the way to go.
Yep! That's what my wife and I thought so we did so. I was raising five children on a single income and had to ensure they had good benefits. My wife was raising two children on a single income with no support, whatsoever, from their father and she needed the benefits for them.

The retirement package was incidental to simply living but now that we're both retired, we certainly appreciate it.

We made knowing choices for good and cogent reasons 29 and 25 years ago
and offer no apologies for them.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 AM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yep! That's what my wife and I thought so we did so. I was raising five children on a single income and had to ensure they had good benefits. My wife was raising two children on a single income with no support, whatsoever, from their father and she needed the benefits for them.

The retirement package was incidental to simply living but now that we're both retired, we certainly appreciate it.

We made knowing choices for good and cogent reasons 29 and 25 years ago
and offer no apologies for them.
Many of us may have made the same decision under the same circumstances.
However, my question is more one of sustainability. Do you have any fear that the state will try to cut your pension? What options do you see if the current system is financially unsustainable for the State?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
I unfotunately have made bad choices in my life & i do wish i had gotten a govt job. I would even work in the food service area and wash dishes at the va hospital if i could. Any govt job is good.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Many of us may have made the same decision under the same circumstances.
However, my question is more one of sustainability. Do you have any fear that the state will try to cut your pension? What options do you see if the current system is financially unsustainable for the State?
Sue! According to CalPERS, the Department of Finance and the courts, those who are working currently and especially those of us who are retired are protected under the law because our retirements and benefits are a contractural obligation for the state that trumps just about all other expenditures.

Contract changes can be made prospectively but not retrospectively. We should be safe.

Quote:
I unfotunately have made bad choices in my life & i do wish i had gotten a govt job. I would even work in the food service area and wash dishes at the va hospital if i could. Any govt job is good.
It's tough, Eagle. The best anyone still working or capable of working who is not already locked-in to a suitable retirement of some sort can hope for is that the economy improves markedly in the near future.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM

436 posts, read 951,812 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Anyone who tries to create a new job or a new industry is wasting his time. Get a government job, and life is good.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Sue! According to CalPERS, the Department of Finance and the courts, those who are working currently and especially those of us who are retired are protected under the law because our retirements and benefits are a contractural obligation for the state that trumps just about all other expenditures.
Unless Cali goes bankrupt and the US Government has to step in, at which point all of those obligations will be set aside and renegotiated.

Further, if the government monetizes the National Debt, hyperinflation will kick in, and your pension payment will be lucky to buy a hamburger.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Unless Cali goes bankrupt and the US Government has to step in, at which point all of those obligations will be set aside and renegotiated.

Further, if the government monetizes the National Debt, hyperinflation will kick in, and your pension payment will be lucky to buy a hamburger.
There is currently no provision in law for states to file for bankruptcy.

So we'll eat hotdogs!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
Quote:

You might want to look at getting a job as longshoreman on the West Coast. They make wages of 125k to 175k a year and have benefits packages that are worth another 40 to 50k a year.

[url=http://www.rense.com/general30/long.htm]Longshoremen, Making $100K Per Year, Won't Reduce Demands[/url]

Another job that pays remarkably well is pizza oven repair. When a pizza oven is broken, the pizza restaurant can't sell pizzas and has to shut down. Commercial pizza ovens can be pretty expensive up to 50k for the top of the line Middlebury Marshall oven which is the type of pizza oven you see at Costco. Because these commericial ovens are so expensive, most pizza restaurants only buy one.

Pizza oven repair is a fairly specialized business. When your pizza oven is broken you need someone to fix it and fix it fast. You might also encounter a pizza oven repairman if are trying to open a pizza restaurant and try to buy a used pizza oven at auction to save money (often you need to take apart and rebuild the pizza oven to move it) But pizza ovens don't break down so often that lots people decide to enter the business.

In northern California, you might have 1 or 2 companies that split the business for most ovens in this region. In other states, there just may be only enough business for one repair company. But this guy can pretty much charge as much as he wants. The company can easily get away with charging $400 an hour to repair your oven and it needs to pay its actual pizza oven repairmen over 100K a year to keep them from setting up a business to compete against the company that controls the territory.

Again this is not a position that requires a tremendous amount of education.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
There is currently no provision in law for states to file for bankruptcy.
So? Doesn't mean they can't. I heard this somewhere else as a false hope that all will be well in California. It's just whistling by the graveyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento